Is the Patriots defense for real?

Cheesehawk

Is the Patriots defense for real?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Patriots defense for real?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Cheesehawk said:

Plus two of these 5 wins are against teams that are competing for the title as one of the worst offenses of all time. 

You mean like the 2000 Browns and Bengals teams that the Ravens shut out in weeks 3 and 4 of that season? 

My point being that you only ask a question like this if you only look at the stat sheet and don't actually watch the games.

The Patriots are flat out smothering opponents this year. It's not just a matter of having some takeaways and playing 'bend but don't break.' Their opponents are averaging 18.1 yards per possession and are only converting 13% of their third downs - that's LESS THAN HALF of the lowest rate for any defense since the stat has been tracked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Starless said:

You mean like the 2000 Browns and Bengals teams that the Ravens shut out in weeks 3 and 4 of that season? 

Because of this post I just looked up the 2000 Ravens schedule, how crazy was the week 2 game against JAX?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200009100rav.htm

39-36 Ravens, with Tony Banks (!) throwing 5 TDs, including a game with with 40 seconds left.

Jimmy Smith going 15-291-3(!!) against one of the greatest Ds of all time, that's insane. They didn't even have Fred Taylor playing. (Brunell, Taylor, Smith, MacCardell, Bosselli...How did that JAX team only go 7-9?)

Coming to the NFL in 2006, feels like I missed a Golden Age.

1 minute ago, PatriotsWin! said:

They did the same to every opponent in the playoffs last year (outside of the 4th quarter in KC). Those teams had pretty good records, didn't matter. ;)

The post was about whether the offenses were bad, or the Patriots just destroyed their numbers.  They were clearly garbage opponents because they have zero wins.  Bottom ranked offenses regardless of what the Pats did.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

Thats not really relevant. Are you suggesting this Patriots defense that allowed more points to the Skins than the Giants did are historically great?

Thats not really relevant. Are you suggesting this Patriots defense that allowed more points to the Skins than the Giants did are historically great?

I'm saying that if you insist on framing the discussion in terms of "who have they beaten?" like this then even historically-great defenses would be scoffed at.

7 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'm saying that if you insist on framing the discussion in terms of "who have they beaten?" like this then even historically-great defenses would be scoffed at.

Great defenses get beat though. Look at that same Ravens team, even at the Jags game that @ChazStandard pointed out. 

The Patriots haven’t even played a team yet that has the talent to score against even average defenses. 

Great defenses get beat though. Look at that same Ravens team, even at the Jags game that @ChazStandard pointed out. 

The Patriots haven’t even played a team yet that has the talent to score against even average defenses. 

Why is the fact that they played a healthy Steelers team in week 1 and held them to 3 points being treated like it didn't happen? Or that the Bills are 4-1 and have one of the better running attacks in the league?

At the end of the day people only remember what they've accomplished not whom they played. The 2000 ravens had on overall weak schedule too but they don't get discredited for it. I am biased being a Patriots' fan but this defense is definitely very different then what I have seen in years past. I think it started last year, they were a good unit that was overshadowed by Brady and the offense but played really well and their talent showed come playoff time, specially in the super bowl. I remember Van Noy went on TV and said he was  surprised how much they were getting overlooked as a unit. This year they have taken a huge step forward, bring back Jamie Collins has been one the best additions any team has made all year.

Edited by The Third Rider
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Starless said:

Why is the fact that they played a healthy Steelers team in week 1 and held them to 3 points being treated like it didn't happen? Or that the Bills are 4-1 and have one of the better running attacks in the league?

And, indeed, shutting down a great offense in the Superbowl.

The Pats haven't allowed an offense to score more than 10 points since last January.