Is the Patriots defense for real?

Cheesehawk

Is the Patriots defense for real?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Patriots defense for real?

• Yes
    • No

If it weren't for that defense the Patriots would likely have a couple losses right now. I understand their offense has scored a lot of points for the most part, but they probably dont win against Buffalo without the defense playing great for example.  Tom Brady has looked average this year for the most part. The offense isnt what it has been in the past albeit still good.

It's a top 5 defense this year 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If it weren't for that defense the Patriots would likely have a couple losses right now. I understand their offense has scored a lot of points for the most part, but they probably dont win against Buffalo without the defense playing great for example.  Tom Brady has looked average this year for the most part. The offense isnt what it has been in the past albeit still good.

10 TDs, 2 INTs passer rating over 100. He's had one bad game (against the second best D in the league), that's all. Other than that he's been his usual self, and that's with no run game, no TEs and a patchwork line starting Marshal Newhouse at LT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

10 TDs, 2 INTs passer rating over 100. He's had one bad game (against the second best D in the league), that's all. Other than that he's been his usual self, and that's with no run game, no TEs and a patchwork line starting Marshal Newhouse at LT.

Yeah his stats are respectable. But he hasn't looked like the same QB. His age is starting to catch up to him. In no way am I saying he isnt still really good. It's okay if your QB isnt God. Calm down. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Brady has played well in 4 games and terrible in 1 game. The one issue I have with him is his terrible redzone decision making, seen it in back to back weeks now. That said, I don't think he could carry the 31st ranked defense to the Super Bowl like 2011/2017. I agree about the offense not being as good but I would put it more on the OL. If that gets sorted out the Patriots are more than capable averaging 30 points per game. Brady isn't 2007 good but I don't see much of a difference compared to last year for example.

3 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Brady has played well in 4 games and terrible in 1 game. The one issue I have with him is his terrible redzone decision making, seen it in back to back weeks now. That said, I don't think he could carry the 31st ranked defense to the Super Bowl like 2011/2017. I agree about the offense not being as good but I would put it more on the OL. If that gets sorted out the Patriots are more than capable averaging 30 points per game. Brady isn't 2007 good but I don't see much of a difference compared to last year for example.

I agree. All I'm saying is he is slowly regressing, imo.

But that OL has issues, doesnt help that Wynn went down

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Remember during weeks 1-2 where everyone was like "Is the Ravens offense for real?" because we were beating up bad teams, then we regressed back to the norm but we're still the #1 scoring offense in the league? That's basically New England's defense.

Are they gonna set records every week and be historically great? Not likely, but they're a very good unit that will most likely finish top 5 in DVOA and be a defense that New England can absolutely win with in January/February.

Well said. They've obviously not this good. They've also given up 20 points in 5 games, so they can afford to be much worse and still "for real".

What makes this year's Pats defense interesting, is that they have a lot of experience. The "newest" guy in the team's back 7.... is Stephon GIlmore who is 29.

Today's NFL teams are ruthless about trying to get younger and faster, and build around a few key faces, and simplify things to play faster. If this Pats defense goes far, and does so partially on account of being able to change things up game-to-game (particularly in the secondary), I think there's a team building philosophy debate to be had there.