I want Jerod Mayo to be the next head coach

DoleINGout

23 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I don't think Mayo has proven anything at this point

He has proven capable of: 

-handling media (former media member himself)

-earning the trust of Bill Belichick

-getting the players to buy-in/relate

-communicate the defense effectively

Honestly not sure what isn't there to like. I'm not saying Jerod Mayo is the next coach, (although I would be surprised if he is being "groomed" to be). I'm saying what I want to happen. People can take that as "another hot take" if they want. It's really just a preference.

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How much does Mayo do currently? Is this something we'd know?

Yes. The defensive players and Bill Belichick have been praising Mayo since he joined the team again, on relatively short notice too.

Here is Duron Harmon on who has been calling the plays:

“Jerod, obviously, he’s been calling the plays for us. He’s been working at making sure he can get the play in on time and he’s been doing a good job for us. There are some things we need to get better at, but right now I like where we’re headed.”

https://musketfire.com/2019/09/20/new-england-patriots-jerod-mayo-impact/

And a link to just one of the times Belichick has shouted out Mayo in particular: Google Link

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2019/09/25/jerod-mayo-inside-knowledge-patriots-seems-having-positive-impact/yvJhg3BAKAhyizEFQgm3NI/story.html

“Jerod’s done a great job,” Belichick said Tuesday. “His experience as a player in our system is very valuable. We can talk about calls that we can make on the field or identifications and so forth and his perspective of, ‘Yeah, that’s no problem. That’d be easy. That’s easy for us to do,’ or ‘That’s a lot harder because the player is thinking about this, he’s thinking about that,’ and so forth.

“It makes us rethink and have that perspective of how easy it is or isn’t for a player in certain situations. He’s done it and he’s done it under pressure and dealt with a lot of things we currently deal with and so that’s a good perspective to have in the room. We don’t have that from anybody else defensively.”

The obvious extension of that is how well Mayo can relate to the players, a handful of whom he played with and all of whom understand his bona fides. That doesn’t save him from some extra needling from the veterans, but Mayo, as outgoing and personable as a player the NFL has known, can take it.

“Oh, I make fun of him all day,” safety Devin McCourty said. “I mean, he’s a rookie coach, so you get a rookie coach in here, so I ask him, ‘Does he have to clean the coaches’ locker room?’ All those little things.

“But he’s been awesome. I think just having him out here, high energy as a player, even more energy as a coach, so it’s been a pleasure for all of the players, just to have him around the locker room.”

Mayo’s official title is inside linebackers coach, but all indications are that he and secondary coach Steve Belichick have strong input in the defensive game plan and are involved in play calling. Mayo did that job in three preseason games, a sure sign of how much Belichick trusts him.

26 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

He has proven capable of: 

-handling media (former media member himself)

-earning the trust of Bill Belichick

-getting the players to buy-in/relate

-communicate the defense effectively

Honestly not sure what isn't there to like. I'm not saying Jerod Mayo is the next coach, (although I would be surprised if he is being "groomed" to be). I'm saying what I want to happen. People can take that as "another hot take" if they want. It's really just a preference.

He has five games of experience. He is a piece of the puzzle that is the defensive coaching staff. There is no defensive coordinator so he collaborates with all the defensive coaches on gameplans w/ BB. You have quotes because he is a recent former player that the media is asking about. What were you expecting the answers to be? 

20 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He has five games of experience. He is a piece of the puzzle that is the defensive coaching staff. There is no defensive coordinator so he collaborates with all the defensive coaches on gameplans w/ BB. You have quotes because he is a recent former player that the media is asking about. What were you expecting the answers to be? 

Generally inconclusive as to the actual duties and responsibilities Mayo has taken on. Instead we got quotes that confirm Mayo is calling/has called the plays and become an integral part of the defense in such a short period of time.

37 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Generally inconclusive as to the actual duties and responsibilities Mayo has taken on.

That's the point. Its a bit premature to credit him with much. Obviously he is a piece of the puzzle but the size is in contention and with a small sample size. Declaring him a great HC prospect right now is more premature than an overtly excited teen on the dance floor on prom night. 

45 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Generally inconclusive as to the actual duties and responsibilities Mayo has taken on.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

What were you expecting the answers to be? 

You misunderstood me. I was responding to your question; What would I normally expect/what do I expect is an answer to be generally inconclusive and we got the opposite of that.

30 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

You misunderstood me. I was responding to your question; What would I normally expect/what do I expect is an answer to be generally inconclusive and we got the opposite of that.

This still stand IMO

37 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Declaring him a great HC prospect right now is more premature than an overtly excited teen on the dance floor on prom night.