Raiders trade 2021 5th to Bills for WR Zay Jones

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's fair. With his size you'd imagine he would be more physical but maybe that's not the case.

Btw I hope Duke balls out for you guys. Was a beast in the CFL last year.

He is a try hard blocker that is for sure. I don't agree with the other poster about him not enjoying the physical part of the game.

He was the Bills best run blocker, though that is something Duke has proven he can do better to. 

I like this move for both sides. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'll be keeping tabs. Zay was a really good route runner coming out of college with reliable hands. A lot of WRs have left Buffalo and found success elsewhere. He seems to me to be the type of guy who would succeed more with a precision passer in a WCO type system. He might just suck, but the change of scenery might be exactly what he needs.

Who are all these WRs that left were blamed on being in Buffalo? Robert Woods was the only WR that bills fans wanted to keep but cap wasnt there at the time and he played very well, outside of that there hasnt been a WR who flourished because of QB issues. Sammy Watkins was always injured when he was in Buffalo 10 games in 3 years, Marquis Goodwin another guy who was always injured missed 25 games in his 4 years. Thats all that can be said and I believe Sammy missed time in both KC and LA when he was there. It has nothing to do with performance it had everything to do with injuries for both guys and incapable of staying on the field so why pay sammy 15+ mil to get injured over time and strap for cap? The only other WR that could be discussed was Chris Hogan and honestly he had Tom Brady and his stats werent all that great either, the only time he showed up was for a couple of play off games but he averaged 400-500 yds nothing special. 2018 Bills had the most dropped balls by Wrs in the league and Zay led the league as the most drops so yes that is on him and thats the reason why he was traded. He may get better and go back to his ways with catching like he did in college but I think being at the pro level with superior talent he is facing on Defense he cant cut it. You can keep an eye on him but dont expect anything that would make him more then a 3rd wr on a team.

17 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Didn't he catch a zillion passes in college? And of course in the pros now he can't catch. 

Yeah strangely odd. In college he had great hands... But he dropped the game winner against Carolina his rookie year and the drop issue just go worse though out. He did improve a bit the past couple years but nothing substantial.

It seems mental for this guy. I know he used to have really good hands as a prospect but as a pro it became one of his biggest weaknesses

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Robert Woods has had two seasons in LA better than any season he had in Buffalo, he's once again on pace this year to surpass any marks he made in Buffalo. He's been far better in LA than in Buffalo.

Goodwin is on pace to again be far more useful this year in San Fransisco than he ever was in Buffalo.

Chris Hogan had his 3 best seasons in New England. He was better for the Patriots than he was for Buffalo. He was a legit WR3 in New England.

Sammy Watkins is really the only guy you can make a case for, and thats largely because injuries derailed his career.

I think you need to go back and check out their stat lines. Hogan and Woods are very similar to their production while in Buffalo minus Woods one season like I mentioned. Goodwin also had one good season for SF but that’s because he was rolling as their WR1 for a full season whereas he was more of like a WR4 in Buffalo. 

9 minutes ago, DER10N92 said:

I think you need to go back and check out their stat lines. Hogan and Woods are very similar to their production while in Buffalo minus Woods one season like I mentioned. Goodwin also had one good season for SF but that’s because he was rolling as their WR1 for a full season whereas he was more of like a WR4 in Buffalo. 

Dude, I think you need to check out their stat lines. Here are the per-16 game numbers for Woods, Goodwin, and Hogan:

Woods

Buffalo - 57 receptions, 688 yards, and 3 TDs

LA - 84 receptions, 1142 yards, and 5 TDs

Hogan

Buffalo (last 2 years) - 38 receptions, 438 yards, and 3 TDs

NE - 43 receptions, 660 yards, and 5 TDs

Goodwin

Buffalo (final year) - 31 receptions, 460 yards, and 3 TDs

SF - 45 receptions, 786 yards, and 4 TDs

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Who are all these WRs that left were blamed on being in Buffalo? Robert Woods was the only WR that bills fans wanted to keep but cap wasnt there at the time and he played very well, outside of that there hasnt been a WR who flourished because of QB issues. Sammy Watkins was always injured when he was in Buffalo 10 games in 3 years, Marquis Goodwin another guy who was always injured missed 25 games in his 4 years. Thats all that can be said and I believe Sammy missed time in both KC and LA when he was there. It has nothing to do with performance it had everything to do with injuries for both guys and incapable of staying on the field so why pay sammy 15+ mil to get injured over time and strap for cap? The only other WR that could be discussed was Chris Hogan and honestly he had Tom Brady and his stats werent all that great either, the only time he showed up was for a couple of play off games but he averaged 400-500 yds nothing special. 2018 Bills had the most dropped balls by Wrs in the league and Zay led the league as the most drops so yes that is on him and thats the reason why he was traded. He may get better and go back to his ways with catching like he did in college but I think being at the pro level with superior talent he is facing on Defense he cant cut it. You can keep an eye on him but dont expect anything that would make him more then a 3rd wr on a team.

As a pure receiver, he reminded me a bit of Robert Woods coming out. That's why I think he'd perform better with a precision passer in a WCO. We'll see if his hands come back around.

• Like 3

Good move. I always like these low risk trades or signings for old busts. Most of the time they don't work out, but the potential return is going to be higher than your typical 5th round pick that pans out, so worth a shot.

Struggling to produce as a WR in Buffalo isn't exactly a nail in the coffin on someone's career, either. Woods and Goodwin were no more productive in Buffalo than what Jones was last year. Even Hogan. Hard to produce consistently with erratic play at QB.

Kind of crazy actually, the skill position talent that Buffalo had there for awhile, but couldn't make anything out of it because of QB play. McCoy, Clay, Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, Harvin. Even Felton was a damn good FB.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ruggs or Jeudy? Both are great. Raiders have 2 picks and will have a shot at one of them.

No clue I just know if they aren't in range they will not have any hesitation to go get one imo. Even if it's a marginal overpay think Falcons when they got Julio or Bills when they got Watkins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

What about Keelan Doss? There seemed to be some hype about him.

Also, why trade a 5th for Jones when you can trade a 1st for Treadwell?!?

Is he a headcase? A first is probably too steep, but we've got a 3rd rounder ready to go. 

On second thought, how does a 1st, Josh Jacobs, and the Las Vegas stadium sound for Treadwell?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

What about Keelan Doss? There seemed to be some hype about him.

Also, why trade a 5th for Jones when you can trade a 1st for Treadwell?!?

Doss is on the roster, has a couple catches. He's still a little raw and had some drop issues in camp. Most his hype was manufactured by Hard Knocks. By those watching daily, he needs some seasoning.

I still can't believe Treadwell busted so hard. I really liked him coming out. That 40 time really should have been taken more seriously.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Kind of crazy actually, the skill position talent that Buffalo had there for awhile, but couldn't make anything out of it because of QB play. McCoy, Clay, Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, Harvin. Even Felton was a damn good FB.

Yet people kept telling me Tyrod was a franchise QB. 

It is sad to think the talent that was wasted from 2013-2016 because of Marrone leaving and Rex Ryan coming in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Yeah strangely odd. In college he had great hands... But he dropped the game winner against Carolina his rookie year and the drop issue just go worse though out. He did improve a bit the past couple years but nothing substantial.

It seems mental for this guy. I know he used to have really good hands as a prospect but as a pro it became one of his biggest weaknesses

I read a stat in passing (PFF Maybe) that said he's been targeted 18 times this season with only 8 of those as catchable balls, in which he caught 7. 

He's not exactly played in a talented offense with good QB play to start his career. Easier to trash the WR than the highly drafted QB. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Good move. I always like these low risk trades or signings for old busts. Most of the time they don't work out, but the potential return is going to be higher than your typical 5th round pick that pans out, so worth a shot.

Struggling to produce as a WR in Buffalo isn't exactly a nail in the coffin on someone's career, either. Woods and Goodwin were no more productive in Buffalo than what Jones was last year. Even Hogan. Hard to produce consistently with erratic play at QB.

What’s crazy is Allllllllllll of the Tyrod Taylor defenders there were around these parts. 

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I read a stat in passing (PFF Maybe) that said he's been targeted 18 times this season with only 8 of those as catchable balls, in which he caught 7. 

He's not exactly played in a talented offense with good QB play to start his career. Easier to trash the WR than the highly drafted QB. 

Weird, John Brown seems to catch everything thrown his way and is having the best year of his career so far.