119 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest problem

• Kitchens
    • Mayfield
    • Offensive line
    • Not as talented as advertised
    • Odell Beckham Junior’s watch
    • They jut need more time

nothing is wrong. they're the browns. this is just how it's meant to be.

offseason champs are never, ever the actual champs. look at the florida teams who are always about to "take the next step" since they sign the biggest and best FAs (because of no income tax).

no idea why anyone would crown them.

3 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

nothing is wrong. they're the browns. this is just how it's meant to be.

offseason champs are never, ever the actual champs. look at the florida teams who are always about to "take the next step" since they sign the biggest and best FAs (because of no income tax).

no idea why anyone would crown them.

Good take.

^ That's pretty funny.

I have to think it's Kitchens at this point. The talent is there and they're just not getting anything from it. They're proving themselves incapable of overcoming injuries, which good coaches tend to scheme around or 'hide'. Things are falling apart, and the players are starting to get that sort of jaded/upset/badatfootball thing that only the truly bad franchises understand.

They've enough talent. They should be at least marginally successful. Players are starting to check out... Look at OBJ's face anytime anything.

That's entirely on the coach.

*They could still very easily turn things around. Kitchens is the only guy that hasn't had success at his current position. Unless I'm mistaken, this is his first stint as a HC at any level. It's a pretty easy thing to point to in this circumstance.

Edited by nagahide13

45 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Kitchens was a strange hire to begin with, and they seem to have gotten worse at the things they struggled last year: O-line consistency and stopping the run.

We absolutely got destroyed by the run today, but that hasn't really been the case this season. Henry put up good stats week one, but most of that came in the fourth quarter when the game was out of reach, IIRC. Since then we've pretty much shut down opposing teams' rushing attacks. I figured SF would get theirs in the running game as they are great at it, but I didn't think they'd demolish us like they did.

But yes, talent wise, the OL is the main thing holding us back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

anyone can see it's offensive line and only that

Its not 'only' their OL. Its the fact Mayfield doesnt move well inside the pocket, in addition to a bad OL, in addition to the fact their weapons are designed for downfield passing.

Baker needs to move inside the pocket better. All of the short QBs can move well. Brees moves extremely well within the pocket and knows how to find throwing lanes. Wilson is basically barry sanders with the ball in his hands. Kyler murray might as well be michael vick when he runs. Baker doesnt move well and is short. I said in the browns forum before the game started that the pass deflections would be an issue for him because our DL is so tall. It absolutely was. 

They need to shift protection to one side and have him roll out more. They need to open up throwing lanes for him by changing where he is standing. 

Its the OL's fault for being horrible, its baker's fault for not being able to move within the pocket, and its the coaching staff's fault for not making the necessary schematic adjustments once it was clear it wasnt working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DawgX said:

We absolutely got destroyed by the run today, but that hasn't really been the case this season. Henry put up good stats week one, but most of that came in the fourth quarter when the game was out of reach, IIRC. Since then we've pretty much shut down opposing teams' rushing attacks. I figured SF would get theirs in the running game as they are great at it, but I didn't think they'd demolish us like they did.

But yes, talent wise, the OL is the main thing holding us back.

Honestly it was the first Browns' game I saw this season, and may have been a bit harsh to judge, but the inability to stop the run smelled just like 2018.

The problem is that the team was hyped because they thought they had the best WR duo in the league and a top 10 qb to pass them the ball.

Turns out Baker is looking more and more like Jameis Winston. Oline is bad but great at run blocking, Baker is seeing ghost and having no pocket awareness. Their defense is still good, cbs will be back anyway.

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

The problem is that the team was hyped because they thought they had the best WR duo in the league and a top 10 qb to pass them the ball.

Turns out Baker is looking more and more like Jameis Winston. Oline is bad but great at run blocking, Baker is seeing ghost and having no pocket awareness. Their defense is still good, cbs will be back anyway.

He actually been significantly worse than Jameis Winston this season

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kramxel said:

Kitchens was a strange hire to begin with, and they seem to have gotten worse at the things they struggled last year: O-line consistency and stopping the run.

A very prominent Browns poster on this board this offseason said he wouldn't trade Kitchens for any coach in the league because of his relationship with Baker.

He actually said that.

And was dead serious.

Aside from the fact that Monken looks like a trash OC so far, our OL looks horrific/is getting exposed, and our  team is way too undisciplined with penalties:

Baker's weaknesses coming out of the draft are getting exposed/amplified now that he has almost 20 games under his belt, and here's the reality:

1. He can't read the whole field. If his primary/secondary WR's are covered, he panics

2. Building off of #1, he can't navigate the pocket, and his internal clock jumps to "I need to roll outside the pocket and improvise" when he should stay in the perfectly good pocket, scan the field, step up, side step, etc.

3. Building off of #1/#2, Monken and company are asking him to do too much. We need to design a more friendly 1-3 step quick passing attack and get rid of any TE or 21 personnel guy on the field not named Seals Jones. Get another fast guy on the field, even if that's Hilliard at RB with Chubb as well to force more checkdown and RAC opportunities for those guys

4. Until Baker can navigate the pocket and read a defense, I'd expect more of the same. He's looked AWFUL. I still love him, but right now, I'm starting to get concerned about his growth going forward.

If we look like this again next week vs. Seattle, I think Freddie would be wise to delegate more HC responsibilities to others and take full responsibility of play calling with the bye week to prepare for New England.

• Like 2