Week 6 GDT: Titans @ Broncos

champ11

Well we open as 2.5 pt home favorites, which shouldn't surprise, as this is -truly one of the 50-50 games left on our schedule.    Keys to the game:

1.  TEN's run game vs. our run D - make no mistake, TEN lives and dies with their run game and Derrick Henry.   They stick to it, they try to assert themselves, and it sets up everything else around that O.   It's old-school, and unsurprisingly, when it struggles, it looks awful - but when it works, they look like they can beat any D.    How our run D (Purcell and Johnson really helped our front 7 this past game) will be a huge key, because the matchup that's in our favor on that side of the ball is....

2.  Our pass rush vs. Mariota & that OL - the OL isn't nearly as good in pass protection, and while they played really well before in prior years, both Lewan and Conklin haven't been great there so far (Lewan just got back after a PED suspension).   Miller / Reed are going to key, because man, Mariota is just horrible vs. pressure - eyes down, doesn't step into balls, and gets happy feet.   If we don't get pressure, though, then the issues start with our next key...

3.  TEN WR's & TE"s vs. our DB's / ILB's - we know Delanie Walker won't break big plays, but he's reliable in short areas.  They don't use Dion Lewis nearly as much, but he's a potential matchup issue if the Titans OC looks at our roster weaknesses.  The real matchup there is going to be the WR's - Corey Davis is trying to break the bust label (TBH it's the O scheme & Mariota that contribute at least 50 percent of the problem, but it's legit), and the impressive rookie AJ Brown - one of them is getting Duke Dawson / Yiadom, and of course the ageless Adam Humphries as 3rd slot.   If Mariota doesn't have pressure, with Bausby & Callahan out, it seems like there's a problem there.  So the pressure is really key.

On our O side, similar themes...

1.  Our run game vs. their stout run D - TEN has an excellent run D.  We're great in the run game.  Strength vs. strength.  

2.  Their pass rush vs. our OL - just as well as we are playing great in the run game, the pass pro is still abysmal.  No holds for Bolles, but instead he's getting beat with bad technique at key times.   Oh well.   It would be a huge boost if we get Juwan James back, because TEN's pass rush is legit with Jurrell Casey at DE and Cameron Wake/Harold Landry at the EDGES.   A major problem for us there, we have to be better.

3.  Sanders/Sutton/Fant vs. their secondary - here's where we win, Adoree Jackson has not worked out at all, neither has Malcolm Butler.  But this also means we need enough time to get some vertical routes into the 2nd level / deep routes.  A dink and dunk game negates our leveraging their biggest weakness on D.  So again #2 is huge here for us on O, like it is for their O vs. our D. 

The final X-factor - Special teams & in-game management.  Normally we lose out on ST's, but TEN replaced 0-for-4 Santos...with Codey Parkey, of the CHI-goalpost-x4 and season-long struggles fame.   So it seems like we have an edge here.    Another thing to look for - how well Scangarelli & Fangio adjust in-game, and manage the clock late in 1H / late in game.  That's been an area where they've clearly struggled, but it's the most fixable with time, so hopefully we see progress.

This should be a slugfest, I'd expect a 20-17 type game.   TO's likely tell the tale - both Mariota & Flacco have bad at taking sacks, Mariota's one quality that's indisputable is that he does everything to limit TO's (but 3 and outs, dumping the ball into the ground, and turtling into sacks is how we've seen it play out vs. good D's a lot).    Looking forward mostly to seeing the young guys play more (more Reed!  more Dawson!).   If we lose, I definitely won't mind, but I expect a hard-fought game either way.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Like @Broncofan said, the Titans are a team that has to run the ball and run it well to have a chance to win. Therefore, I’d like to see Scangarello at least make some early attempts at the big play to get us on the board. Going up 14-0 against San Diego was huge for us last week, we need some big plays early like we had Sunday to  knock them off their game plan. 

I think we’re better than our 1-4 record shows and this is a must-win game if want to have a chance to salvage this season. I think we get the win and play our best, most complete game of the year. 

Broncos: 23

Titans: 13

Wow, that's a serious cervical sprain, if the account is accurate.  If he was unconscious and not moving, and then woke up and moved around, different story (then it's just "we thought you were paralyzed").   But if he was actually paralyzed, that's a spinal cord contusion (mild, why it was only 30 mins instead of months of rehab/recovery for Shazier).

Honestly, that's a career-threatening injury if those are the facts.  I would be shocked if he isn't put on IR.  Simply because I don't know of any neurologist who would clear him for 6-8 weeks minimum.  Especially in the wake of Ryan Shazier. 

Edited by Broncofan

And right on cue....Bausby on IR.   I don't think it's going to be IR-return.  Wow, he's lucky to be walking, but also this sucks for him and the team.  He won't get a pension or medical benefits beyond this year if he never plays again.   Still, it could have been far, far worse.

Edited by Broncofan

We definitely got some positive signs last week.

- Fangio and our LB's, especially Johnson, were able to diagnose & effectively stop Ekeler from eating us alive. A welcome sight for sure.
- Aside from a couple Yiadom holds, the defense made plays when we needed them
- We actually got interior pressure. What a concept.
- Chargers RB's had 2.5 YPC. It's clear that Purcell understands what his role is and he's doing a good job.

I maligned them before, but we have a damn good coaching staff. The question lies in whether Elway can restock the cupboard. Having Fangio & Munchak certainly can help, if Elway listens.

Anyway, I think we snap our streak of scoring less than 30 points at 14. The only teams with worse active streaks are the Cardinals (31 :o), the Redskins (18) & the Jaguars (17).

Edited by Joe_is_the_best

Sup fellas.

Couple of fun facts...

1) Every game we've been favored in we've lost.

2) Every game we've been underdogs in we've won.

We're basically Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. Who knows wth you'll get from this team each week. We'll blow out the likes of New England or Dallas one week, then lose to back up QB's the next.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Sup fellas.

Couple of fun facts...

1) Every game we've been favored in we've lost.

2) Every game we've been underdogs in we've won.

We're basically Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. Who knows wth you'll get from this team each week. We'll blow out the likes of New England or Dallas one week, then lose to back up QB's the next.

How'd Lewan the lt look last week coming back from suspension.