Week 6 GDT: Titans @ Broncos

champ11

20 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

but I've caught a few CFB games and if we do end up picking in the teens (which I hope we do because that means we will have started to rebuild a culture of accountability around here)

You're usually scary accurate in the draft process. We want more! 

To be fair, I am going to contradict myself here because as we all know - there is more than enough top, top talent that comes out of every draft. Sure, percentage wise it can be easier to get that at the top of the draft but there is plenty to go around from later in the 1st to undrafted guys.

Like I said - I will always root for my team to win. I am just desperate for this team to get their Mahomes/Watson.

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

To be fair, I am going to contradict myself here because as we all know - there is more than enough top, top talent that comes out of every draft. Sure, percentage wise it can be easier to get that at the top of the draft but there is plenty to go around from later in the 1st to undrafted guys.

Like I said - I will always root for my team to win. I am just desperate for this team to get their Mahomes/Watson.

A loss to KC Thursday and I expect us to be big sellers at the Deadline, and Drew Lock to be activated next week. 

I think the stars are aligning perfectly tbh. That's why I'm going to enjoy Thursdays game regardless of outcome. 

1st quarter all 22 notes:

•    2nd Titans offensive play sees us match their 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB) package with our base 3-4. Finds us with Malik Reed lined up over Humphries in the slot. For whatever reason, Mariota doesn’t kill the run play to a pass play. Shows what we thought of the Titans game from the start (or it was an error …)
•    3rd down vs 11 personnel again sees us have Harris in the slot vs Humphries with Yiadom and D.Harris out wide, both with a Safety each over the top. Will Parks 1v1 vs Walker (TE). Parks fell but early pressure means no target. Double A gap stunt from both ILBs leaves Davis 1v1 against Lewis (RB); Davis pushes him right back into Mariota
•    That long Spencer PR could’ve gone the distance if both Jewell and Nelson hadn’t missed the block on the same guy
•    Loved our 1st run of the game. Risner smart to stick with the double rather than peel to the next level, and great understanding of the direction of the play by Bolles as he screens Landry from the designed hole
•    I called out Leary for not being able to flip his hips to screen his man from the play side last week, but he did it to perfection on the 13 yard Freeman run on our 1st drive. Perfect 2nd level peel by McGovern too
•    Got too cute at the end of the drive. WR screen followed by a HB sweep with a pulling LG netted 1 yard. Should’ve focused on inside running from heavy personnel with Play Action
•    Missed assignment in pass pro by Freeman to cause hurried 3rd down throw (incomplete)
•    Man, AJ Johnson bench pressed the Titans LG on 2nd down. Forced Henry to cut, slowed him down and Malik Reed swept it up
•    3rd down and we send Johnson on the blitz again. Fake to send both ILBs again, but Davis backs off and the fake keeps Lewis in pass pro. Awful throw by Mariota to a wide open man in the flat (D.Harris in coverage)
•    Between them, Heuerman and Fant ruined a pretty well blocked zone run on our 2nd drive, causing a 1 yard TFL. Landry splits them both to make the play in the backfield. Unsure who’s at fault, but Fant was the one who went to block Landry and missed
•    The 3rd down running play on 3rd and 9 was the same sweep play I referenced earlier. It actually had a chance but Hamilton missed his block (it’s a nice play by Logan Ryan, to be fair)
•    Harris and Wolfe at DT in our early downs Nickel. Parks in the slot over Humphries. Shelby Harris does well to avoid Lewan’s cut to make the play for no gain 
•    That’s a horrible PI call on D.Harris on 3rd down. We sent both ILB’s on a blitz again with 3 DL (5 man pressure)
•    The next 3rd down is first I have seen AJ off the field I think. Parks in for him. Datone Jones in as well. Not impressed with our outside pass rush thus far. Von has been chipped a lot, but Reed hasn’t impressed
•    Couple of things on that Flacco scramble on 2nd down, 3rd drive. It’s supposed to be Cover 1 but the Safety inexplicably bites on the Play Action. The CB on Sutton plays trail technique, so Sutton has to know that his deep out is now a go route (he doesn’t, and runs the out). Flacco attempt at a scramble is horrendous. Should easy have had a 1st down (he didn’t need to scramble either. Pocket was clean)
•     Sutton wide open on the resulting 3rd down. Ignored by Flacco for a checkdown to Freeman who has to know where the marker is (1 yard short)

• Like 3

unfortunately I have not been able to watch any broncos games live this year, but I've caught a few CFB games and if we do end up picking in the teens (which I hope we do because that means we will have started to rebuild a culture of accountability around here) then I hope we target Tyler Biadasz from Wisc. That kid can flat out play. Would provide an elite pivot for the foreseeable future and allow connor to move back to his more natural OG (and stop fumbling a snap every $#%#$% game). Kenneth Murray the ILB out of OK looks like a damn good player as well. Reminds me of the bushes from last year,  just making plays and wrecking havoc sideline to sideline. 

Biadasz would be amazing. Cant miss IOL talent and a huge culture plus. He has been a leader on Wisconsin lines that constantly produce NFL players since he stepped on campus.

Risner / Biadasz / McGovern would look really, really nice. I still think Connor can have a future here. One of the few issues that I had with this staff off the bat was moving him to OC. I would have rather signed a JAG and thrown him to the wolves at OC if it meant we kept Connor at OG. We moved him halfheartedly out of necessity and it was foolish. Get him back to his natural position, RG, where he can use his insane strength to just battle the guy in front of him. He isn't cerebral or quick enough to be an OC.

• Like 3

2nd quarter notes:
•    It’s a play action zone play with a naked bootleg, but I loved AJ Johnson shooting through the hole on the Titans first drive of the Quarter. Blew by Taylor Lewan
•    Parks playing a lot more Nickel than I’ve seen him play before. Makes a great play in the run game when the Titans go 12 personnel and ram it up the middle (Walker was in for Harris at Nickel DT. Got whooped by a double team)
•    It’s Simmons the next play who blows up the run play for 2 yards. Makes such a difference when your DB can make plays near the LOS in the run game. So often they are the free defenders
•    Poor MIKE recognition on our first drive of the 2nd quarter, 3rd down. Titans only send 4, but it’s a CB blitz from the Nickel and one of the DE’s drops out. The line protection didn’t slide to the blitzing side, leaving us short on the left of our OL. Not sure if this is Connor or Joe’s responsibility
•    Awesome play by Todd Davis on 2nd down in the 2nd drive. It’s a zone run play and Davis shoots the gap before the RG can peel off Wolfe. Not a clue what #81 (TE, I assume?) is doing for the Titans who just leaves Miller to blow it up for a loss
•    No pressure again on 3rd down. Miller chipped by the TE, Reed ineffective against Lewan. CHJ so close to picking off the jump ball to Humphries
•    First sighting of both Hollins and Attaochu sees them both in at the same time the following 1st down. In for two plays together
•    That 2 man rush thing was, well, weird. Nothing open downfield but Mariota left the pocket wayyyyyyy too early. Guess it messed with him a bit
•    Lovely outside release by Sutton on that big completion down the sideline. Aligned slightly outside the numbers so he can’t get too wide. Gets upfield quick with a slight hesitation to the inside. Great ball from Joe on his backfoot. Bolles get bullrushed into his lap
•    Risner caught overreaching in the run game with 6.10 left in the quarter. Looked well blocked besides that, too
•    Jurrell Casey made a ridiculous play on that failed Lindsay jump for a 1st down. He basically crawled underneath Ron Leary and caught Lindsay as he jumped
•    Mike Purcell having his snaps managed really well and it’s working. Swats the Center to stop a run for no gain on the Titans next drive after our FG. Wolfe criminally held without a flag on the same play
•    The wide open pass to Delanie Walker is definitely a blown coverage by AJ Johnson. The latter follows the RB into the flat but so does Will Parks, and Todd Davis immediately gestures to Johnson
•    D. Harris beaten by Tajae Sharpe on the in route but Mariota is too late with his read to spot it
•    Probably Wolfe’s best play of the season on 3rd down for the sack. Buries Nate Davis into the ground
•    Whole OL struggling in the 2nd quarter. Can’t get any rhythm at all. Two holding calls in a row on Leary and Bolles, although Lindsay didn’t help Leary by cutting inside instead of out. Bolles just rugby tackled Jurrell Casey to the ground then did his usual of holding his hands out
•     Then the botched snap … Nightmare series upfront. Titans just crowding the LOS at this point
•    I have no idea what Mariota is doing on the CHJ INT. Literally no clue
•    Titans call the same Nickel blitz as last time; same result. We don’t recognise it, don’t shift the protection

On the whole, that was some poor Offensive stuff from both teams in that 2nd Q. You can say good Defense, but I didn't see it that way really.

1st half MVPs

Todd Davis
Chris Harris
Justin Simmons
Derek Wolfe
Mike Purcell

Thought the interior OL played well 1st Q, but poorly 2nd Q. 

• Like 4

On 10/15/2019 at 8:36 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

One of the few issues that I had with this staff off the bat was moving him to OC. I would have rather signed a JAG and thrown him to the wolves at OC if it meant we kept Connor at OG.

I agree with the logic here center isn't his natural position but I give the staff props for getting him to look capable.  He's come along way from his snap issues in camp lol. I like the fact that the unit got semi comfortable being put in uncomfortable situations.

I agree with the logic here center isn't his natural position but I give the staff props for getting him to look capable.  He's come along way from his snap issues in camp lol. I like the fact that the unit got semi comfortable being put in uncomfortable situations.

If you agree that his future is at OG, then what is the point of moving him for a single season? Just so he can be 'capable' and learn a whole new position and then switch back to OG in 2020?

It was a stupid move, any way you slice it, if you think he is best at OG. Temporary positional switches should only happen if there is an injury in-game and you don't have someone to cover. Coaching staffs should tread positional moves with the utmost delicacy. It can set a player back years in development if you make a stupid positional change (See Walker, Demarcus).

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

It was a stupid move, any way you slice it, if you think he is best at OG. Temporary positional switches should only happen if there is an injury in-game and you don't have someone to cover. Coaching staffs should tread positional moves with the utmost delicacy. It can set a player back years in development if you make a stupid positional change (See Walker, Demarcus).

I'm impressed with his versatility and their ability to get a player competent to play another position in a rebuilding year so quickly. 

I'm not sure what the budget was for center, or the resources they wanted to spend on the position. Paradis was a good move to move on from with 2 hip issues and lower leg injury return idc how anyone slices it.

When center is eventually addressed McGovern is going to be a great resource for him along with coaches. That's why you make that move.

On 15/10/2019 at 1:32 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

•    Loved our 1st run of the game. Risner smart to stick with the double rather than peel to the next level, and great understanding of the direction of the play by Bolles as he screens Landry from the designed hole
•    Man, AJ Johnson bench pressed the Titans LG on 2nd down. Forced Henry to cut, slowed him down and Malik Reed swept it up

18 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

•    Poor MIKE recognition on our first drive of the 2nd quarter, 3rd down. Titans only send 4, but it’s a CB blitz from the Nickel and one of the DE’s drops out. The line protection didn’t slide to the blitzing side, leaving us short on the left of our OL. Not sure if this is Connor or Joe’s responsibility
•    Mike Purcell having his snaps managed really well and it’s working. Swats the Center to stop a run for no gain on the Titans next drive after our FG. Wolfe criminally held without a flag on the same play
•    Probably Wolfe’s best play of the season on 3rd down for the sack. Buries Nate Davis into the ground

Some video evidence from Brandon Thorn re: my earlier comments. He's a great follow on twitter, if you don't already.

• Like 2

3rd quarter notes:

-          2nd play of our opening drive, Wilkinson gets bull rushed very quickly back into Joe. Lucky he got the ball off quickly. Wilkinson playing wayyyyy too high

-          We’ve had real trouble moving Jurrell Casey since the 1st Q. He’s playing well against the run

-          Fant should’ve turned his whole body around on the INT. I don’t know why he’s trying to catch the ball over his shoulder if he’s lost it in the sun. Turn around and concentrate on the catch. Forget after the catch yardage. Joe should definitely have put more zip on it because Fant has his man beat. Not that it matters, but Sutton beat his man on an in-route

-          Risner and Bolles also got beat by a stunt on the INT play

-          Two straight zone run plays by the Titans to start their drive and Purcell is mauling his man backwards on both. I love it when DL go vertical against zone runs, rather than sideways

-          Pass pro is noticeably better when passing on 1st down. Not surprising, really

-          We’ve motioned Janovich out a LOT. When the outside CB stays with Janovich, you know it’s zone coverage. Smart stuff; a staple of the Patriots Offense

-          Freeman getting his route depth wrong again to force 4th and 1. Nice crossing route by Hamilton; he should’ve got the ball really

-          Risner failed to spot the late blitzing LB on the play, giving up a clean pressure. Been a rough start to the Quarter for him

-          I like what I have seen from Fred Brown as a Gunner on Punt Coverage

-          Malik Reed is getting his *** kicked in this game. No other way of putting it. Derek Wolfe is playing his butt off, however

-          Nice stunt by Wolfe and Jones, whereby both come free, forces the rushed throw by Mariota for the Simmons INT. The intended WR had a yard or two on Simmons as well

-          Nice job by Wilkinson out in space for that HB flare to Freeman. Gained him an extra 10 yards by hustling to cut the pursuing LB. Perfect play call

-          No clue what Bolles is doing on the next play. It’s a HB toss to his side, where he begins to pull and sees Hamilton 1v1 against an OLB. Clearly not designed for Hamilton to stay on that block, but instead of double teaming him and thus freeing the edge, Bolles just runs right by him. Freeman does well to gain 2 yards

-          Lovely pocket on 2nd down for Joe to go through his reads and hit Hamilton for 18 yards

-          On the TD run, Leary does just enough to come across the formation and occupy his man. Could’ve been called for a hold, to be honest

-          Kareem Jackson was 8 yards off the LOS for the play he blew up for a 1 yards loss. Unbelievable instincts in the run game from the safety position

-          Both Jones and Walker really hustle to the ball when it’s thrown down the field. Love to see that

-          The zone runs really haven’t worked for our Offense all game. Leary and McGovern really struggle with getting to the next level when moving sideways

-          Freeman picks up a DB blitz on 3rd down but Joe leaves the pocket early. No need to

• Like 3