Week 6 GDT: Titans @ Broncos

champ11

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

@champ11 whats the winning lotto numbers?

it may be Monday morning vibes, but I don't get it lol

I had a soccer game at the same time so I had to miss the game. Felt like we were gonna handle biz. The team must be disappointed that they let those 2 games slip to start the year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

The team must be disappointed that they let those 2 games slip to start the year

I'm at a crossroads right now my gut says two of those games were lost because of a new coaching staff. My brain is saying they still don't have enough talent, and given the coaching staff I'd like to see them get more asap before Scangarello gets poached in 2-3 years.

I think the chiefs game determines if we're sellers or not.

• Like 1

Remember that saying that we're not as bad as our worst games, or we're not as good as our best games?  It applies here...but more on that later.

I only got to see here and there with Canadian Thanksgiving dinner (yes it's a thing), but the points that stood out to me:

-He's old, but being a RFA and so a sub-2M guy next year, Mike Purcell is a real cog to our run D.   It's absolutely nothing against Shelby Harris, but it's all about how Purcell understands the scheme fit.   While I think our main goal is to go young, going cheap vet is also a fine strategy.  And him being cost controlled for 2020 is a real cause of optimism (we need a long-term solution there beyond 2019-20, but Purcell gives us time to find them, at cheaper/younger costs).

-The Titans limiting us to 16 points at home with that secondary and no Cameron Wake should still be of major concern to us.    On the road, or against a better pass rush / secondary, this O is just not going to get it done.  That puts an extreme amount of pressure on our D.

-Chris Harris is still an elite cover dude.   Honestly, my ambivalence at the W this week stems from the very real possibility Elway won't sell.    That would be a massive mistake IMO - PHI, NO and a bunch of NFC teams still in the hunt would kill to get him.

-The coaching plan was more vanilla this week, but that's OK when you are the favorite.   Our opening drive success suggests very strongly that OC Scangarelli is starting to "get it".   

-Janovich adds so much to the run game.   The FB is such an underrated part to a successful run game in the Shanny system.  While SF won, they weren't nearly as effective with their all-world Juczsyk hurt.   Jano's re-entry really helps us there.

I'll defer to @lomaxgrUK's All-22 review for the finer details, given it's a short week gotta catch up on work - but nothing's changed IMO from the 2019 outlook, other than a top 5 pick being less and less likely (which sucks for Andrew Thomas truthers).    We're still rebuilders.  We beat a Chargers team that lost 5 Pro Bowlers and 7 starters on a neutral field that went -3 in the TO game (and lost to a baaaad PIT team), and we beat a limited O TEN team by stopping the one part of the game they can do - the run game (holy hell Mariota is just baaaad).    The weaknesses we have weren't exposed by the TEN D being bad in the secondary, and losing their key alpha pass rusher, and having one of the worst pass O's around.   

So it's hard to project too much into the W - make no mistake, they all count, but context matters (ironically, TEN is a team that can kill a better overall team, if their run D is leaky, and the O only so-so - when TEN beat CLE Week 1 and ATL week 4, we now see that both CLE (terrible OL, bad run D - NEVER good to be weak in the trenches) and ATL (truly a bottom 5 team, and bottom 5 D overall), are just bad teams.   So at home, we should win.   It doesn't take away from the W's value, but it also doesn't change our status as a non-contender.   Until we shore up our pass pro, get a real QBOTF and get real DE/ILB help long-term for Fangio's scheme, frankly 2021 is the more realistic time frame, let alone 2020.   BUT - it also means the rebuild is headed in the right direction - young guys are our best players on O, we're finding a few hidden gems like Purcell (and hopefully Dawson - although I don't think the TEN game is a real test lol), and I think we're seeing the coaching improve with each week.   So all good there - let's not get too hasty on ETA, though.   We still should be selling our not-staying-for-2020 pieces without a doubt.  In that respect, I hope KC's issues and playing us on the road don't give the false hope we're closer than we are.  But still looking forward to the kids giving it a fight.

@champ11 - don't forget you're still up for GDT Thu too!     

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Titans have a top 5 secondary in football. Denver was fortunate to avoid Cam Wake, but you're way, way, waaaaay off base talking about their DBs. 

Their safeties are great, and Ryan is actually a decent CB.  No doubt.  The CB's Butler & Adoree Jackson are abysmal, though.   They depend on the pass rush to shorten their cover time.   It's why they're normally a funnel pass D.  But you're absolutely fair on painting too wide a brush - I tend to focus on CB's as I'm doing my WR research and analysis/planning on other teams.  Point taken.

Edited by Broncofan

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Their safeties are great, and Ryan is actually a decent CB.  No doubt.  The CB's Butler & Adoree Jackson are abysmal, though.   They depend on the pass rush to shorten their cover time.   It's why they're normally a funnel pass D.  But you're absolutely fair on painting too wide a brush - I tend to focus on CB's as I'm doing my WR research and analysis/planning on other teams.  Point taken.

Honestly you're still undervaluing all three corners. Ryan is a very good player (and would make a lot of sense as a FA signing next year). Butler and Jackson are up-and-down, frustrating players for sure but not even close to abysmal. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Jackson gets devalued so much because of the corner the Bills got that the titans passed up on personally. You csn do a heck of a lot worse than him.

Butler I don't think is good I think he's a little below average. 

Adoree has been playing excellent football recently. If he makes a leap, it would not be surprising. Super raw athlete who seems to have figured out raw athleticism won't be enough. We'll see. 

Butler is largely the same player he's always been. Inconsistent and prone to being exploited by bad matchups, but smart as hell, physical with a nose for the ball and a perchance for making big plays at big times. Which is to say, if he's your liability, your secondary is damn, damn good. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Adoree has been playing excellent football recently. If he makes a leap, it would not be surprising. Super raw athlete who seems to have figured out raw athleticism won't be enough. We'll see. 

Butler is largely the same player he's always been. Inconsistent and prone to being exploited by bad matchups, but smart as hell, physical with a nose for the ball and a perchance for making big plays at big times. Which is to say, if he's your liability, your secondary is damn, damn good. 

I agree about Adoree maybe it's because I'm partial to Darrent Williams and I like the undersized guy.

And to the bolded Butler is smart that's why I loved the move for Dawson. The thing about getting a former New England player is you know they'll be coached up most likely at minimum. 

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree about Adoree maybe it's because I'm partial to Darrent Williams and I like the undersized guy.

And to the bolded Butler is smart that's why I loved the move for Dawson. The thing about getting a former New England player is you know they'll be coached up most likely at minimum. 

Duke looks very capable. It really does feel like he was stuck in a crowded, talented position group and Belichick doesn’t care about a sunk cost so they can justify moving on when no other teams would. Liked him as a prospect and liked what I saw in his two games so far.

You have to give a ton of credit to Ed Donatell. We’ve had six guys play at corner including Kareem, four of them with very little experience, and only Yiadom has looked like he’s not playing confidently. Ed is getting them ready.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

You have to give a ton of credit to Ed Donatell. We’ve had six guys play at corner including Kareem, four of them with very little experience, and only Yiadom has looked like he’s not playing confidently. Ed is getting them ready.

I give a ton of credit to this whole coaching staff there is a reason I want more draft picks, and most of that reason is to give these coaches more talent to coach up because they're excellent.  

In game situations I worry about when the roster is at that stage. Now, it is literally crying over spilled milk.

46 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Honestly you're still undervaluing all three corners. Ryan is a very good player (and would make a lot of sense as a FA signing next year). Butler and Jackson are up-and-down, frustrating players for sure but not even close to abysmal. 

I think Ryan would be a reasonable guy to target as long as he's not crazy expensive, no argument there.   We don't see eye to eye on Jackson & Butler, but that's OK.   Butler isn't changing who he is, Jackson we'll see if he makes a leap.   

Frankly, for the offseason, my hope would be Dawson & Callahan show enough (on his return) that we don't feel compelled to spend big on CB.   Bausby's injury is such a downer.  We really had something going with Bausby.   We shouldn't close the book on Yiadom yet for 2020 since this is only year 2 and it was expected he'd need time, but he's going to need a fantastic 2H and offseason.    I hope Bausby gets cleared, but very few guys go on to play a long time once they have a season-ending neck injury as bad as his was.

As much as I used to value pure talent at the corner position, scheme fit is going to matter so much with us.   But that's probably another topic for another day lol....

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Callahan show enough (on his return) that we don't feel compelled to spend big on CB. 

I think Callahan aggravating that foot injury was a blessing in disguise. 

The corners are almost playing so well that you almost want them like you would an rb if the value and leadership are there.

If this coaching staff is skilled at coaching up dbs I have no issue using that position to restock future draft capital in the future and developing someone now.