Jets QB Sam Darnold cleared to play

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Jets aren’t bottom of the barrel, Miami-level. But they’re just slightly, just barely above. 

How can the Jets not be bottom of the barrel yet only be just barely above Miami? Miami is on track to be one of the worse teams ever. 

10 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

How can the Jets not be bottom of the barrel yet only be just barely above Miami? Miami is on track to be one of the worse teams ever. 

Because...they’ve above them. Miami is bottom of the barrel - Jets are above. Pretty simply, really.

14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Because...they’ve above them. Miami is bottom of the barrel - Jets are above. Pretty simply, really.

So how many games are you expecting the Jets to win this year?

I was asking a question. When people say bottom of the barrel, their usually not referring just one team. Not sure the smart remark was necessary. But it’s no big deal.

Edited by SDotNova

21 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

So how many games are you expecting the Jets to win this year?

I was asking a question. When people say bottom of the barrel, their usually not referring just one team. Not sure the smart remark was necessary. But it’s no big deal.

Fair enough, my apologies then. :|

I think in most years, the worst teams are all tiered similarly. But for 2019 I believe the Dolphins are the worst of the worst. The Jets/Skins/Bengals are above them, but not by a bunch (the former two could change if they get healthier).

Looking forward, I think the Jets are maybe a 6 win team. I’ll give them 4 vs Cincy/Washington/Miami x2 (although I don’t honestly think Miami goes 0-16, so splitting here isn’t beyond possible). I think the Jags, Steelers, Bills, Giants, and Raiders games are winnable but I wouldn’t pick the Jets if I had money on the line. So I’d have them 2-3 in that span (Bills/Jags/Raiders). Then clear L’s vs Dallas and NE. 

None of that’s a given, obviously. I’m not a big prediction guy, because you never know in this league. But that’s what I’d predict/guess. A 6-10 team would pick top 10 in most years, right?

I mean anything at this point has to be better then the Luke Falk experience,  but I doubt Darnold has much impact on whether they beat the Cowboys Sunday. Highly doubtful. 

Now by all means, please prove me wrong and I'll happily eat crow afterwards. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

10 hours ago, evilpimp972 said:

Was Luke Faulk the worst qb ever?

One of. He is truly awful. The Jets gave up 10 sacks vs the Eagles not only cause the OL sucks, but because he was lost and held onto the ball too long at times taking dumb sacks.  The fact they couldn't try to get better than Falk is sad cause he is the worst QB I've seen on the Jets.

Now we have limited weapons and a bad OL. But now with Darnold back, Crowder and Anderson are gonna be relevant again. Chris Herndon will be back at TE. The OL is bad, but Darnold can extend plays and make things out of nothing.

LeVeon Bell has to be happy to have his QB back, cause its going to help him out. Falk represented no threat at all at QB. Truly pathetic watching him play. 

Some may not be high on Darnold, but I still think hes gonna end up the best QB from that class. Like in college when he turned a bad team to good, and last year had us competing vs playoff teams carrying the team on his back, he can be the type of QB that is a difference maker.  I expect that the Jets offense will start scoring some TDs and not continue on this path of trying to be named the worst offense ofall time. Our schedule was brutal and is about to get easier in 2 weeks. 

I’d echo the sentiment that Darnold could still end up being the top IRL QB of the 2018 draft class when it’s all said and done.  Lamar and Baker have been put in much better positions to succeed; we see what’s happening in CLE when the surrounding cast (esp OL) breaks down.  Short-term they have a huge advantage and rightfully so.  Fantasy wise Lamar’s running floor makes him safest of all while he’s young - but keep in mind Darnold’s youth also works in his favor.   Barely 22 in year 2?  Sky’s the limit for his ceiling IMO.   

I’d expect the Jets hit OL and WR hard in the 2020 draft.   Then with better OL play - major breakout candidate imo then (but more likely ETA 2021 when the supporting cast imbalance is no longer dramatic).  Right now it’s time for him to take his lumps and avoid big hits.  He’s already shown the skills of a franchise QB.  Now it’s just getting the pieces there and keeping him healthy.   Glad to see him back.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Curious about the Jets with Darnold back. Never thought their prospects were good to begin with, and without Darnold they were the Miami Dolphins minus the hype (which is even worse tbh). Schadenfreude, but I'd be excited to see them continue to just be the Dolphins and not even sniff their 6.5 pre-season O/U

Edited by Fray32

20 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

When did this become a thing? 

Would you call last year’s 5-11 Jaguars or 6-10 Broncos bad teams? Because they were ranked 5th and 6th in defensive DVOA. You can have a good defense and a bad team, just as you can have a good offense but a bad team. If the other sides of the football and coaching don’t carry their weight, it happens.

Jets aren’t bottom of the barrel, Miami-level. But they’re just slightly, just barely above. 

No I wouldn't but the Jets offense if they had their QB wouldn't be historically bad on offense either.  Those teams weren't 5-11 with a third string QB it was with their starting QB, amazing that nobody can understand what it's like to start a third string QB.  Imagine if you team had to start your third string QB for a second and tell me outside of NE (because they are different) what team would still be a good team?  I think most had the Jets as a middle of the pack team coming into the season 7-9 wins so no I don't view them as a bad team.  I also don't view them as a good team either they're average.  Not going to debate this anymore because it's easy to pick on the Jets when they're entire starting LB core is hurt, down to their third string QB, haven't had arguably their 2nd or 3rd best playmaker at TE,  played one of the toughest schedules to date, and just look at their record without context.  

So funny that PIT is viewed as a playoff team, likely to win the division, and even contender to some people.  They lose their starting QB and now are on their way to a top 10 and probably top 5 pick with their lone win coming against CIN.  Are they all of a sudden a bad team now or just in a bad position?  Jets have had about the worst luck you could have to start a season so no they are not just all of a sudden a bad team.  The hypocricy from one team to the next based on how one organization is viewed to the next is evident.  No need to continue this because it's a waste of time.

Just as the Jets are getting Herndon back he has a hamstring issue now.  It's just a cursed season at this point.  Football Gods are not happy with the Jets right now.

Edited by Rockice_8

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

No I wouldn't but the Jets offense if they had their QB wouldn't be historically bad on offense either.  Those teams weren't 5-11 with a third string QB it was with their starting QB, amazing that nobody can understand what it's like to start a third string QB.  Imagine if you team had to start your third string QB for a second and tell me outside of NE (because they are different) what team would still be a good team?  I think most had the Jets as a middle of the pack team coming into the season 7-9 wins so no I don't view them as a bad team.  I also don't view them as a good team either they're average.  Not going to debate this anymore because it's easy to pick on the Jets when they're entire starting LB core is hurt, down to their third string QB, haven't had arguably their 2nd or 3rd best playmaker at TE,  played one of the toughest schedules to date, and just look at their record without context.  

So funny that PIT is viewed as a playoff team, likely to win the division, and even contender to some people.  They lose their starting QB and now are on their way to a top 10 and probably top 5 pick with their lone win coming against CIN.  Are they all of a sudden a bad team now or just in a bad position?  Jets have had about the worst luck you could have to start a season so no they are not just all of a sudden a bad team.  The hypocricy from one team to the next based on how one organization is viewed to the next is evident.  No need to continue this because it's a waste of time.

Just as the Jets are getting Herndon back he has a hamstring issue now.  It's just a cursed season at this point.  Football Gods are not happy with the Jets right now.

Teams lose players all the time. The Redskins have been more injured than anyone, are they not a bad team either? 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Teams lose players all the time. The Redskins have been more injured than anyone, are they not a bad team either? 

Actually no not up until this year when shockingly they lost Smith.  Washington was not a bad team since they won 9, 8, 7, 7, games the past 4 seasons.  Were they great no but when they had their QB they were average.  Try again.

23 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Going from Falk to Darnold doesn't move the needle?  

With a historically bad offense the Jets are still 12th in the NFL defensively.  Darnold and a good defense will move the needle.  The OL is still a major issue but at least Sam gets the ball out quicker and is better at extending plays.  The Jets went toe to toe with arguably the 3rd best team in the AFC right now in BUF week 1 with a probably less then 100% Darnold to then being worse then MIA.  Impossible to not move the needle.

It doesn't move the needle in terms of playoff chances. The Jets aren't going to the playoffs with or without Darnold. To me that's moving the needle. I'd rather go 0-16 than go 6-10 and miss the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Are they all of a sudden a bad team now or just in a bad position? 

You can be both. If injuries assault the Patriots and they drop their next 10 games, they are a bad team. And they're unlucky. And in a bad position.

You don't get to cry about injuries and claim that your team would be awesome if healthy. The Jets roster, even when fully healthy, is not very good.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

It doesn't move the needle in terms of playoff chances. The Jets aren't going to the playoffs with or without Darnold. To me that's moving the needle. I'd rather go 0-16 than go 6-10 and miss the playoffs.

The AFC is horrible right now.  The Jets easily could have been in the mix.  What a loser mentality, you must be a Browns fan.  This isn't the NBA.