If Tomlin were traded to Skins

Duff

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm talking about free agency. Players who actually improve your team and are affordable can be good enough sometimes 

So say the Steelers have $20M in cap room, who are the 4-5 STARTER caliber players you think you can sign for that amount that improve the team at the position we have holes?

keep in mind that to make that cap room, you're also creating 2-3 roster holes for backups, as well.

2 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

So say the Steelers have $20M in cap room, who are the 4-5 STARTER caliber players you think you can sign for that amount that improve the team at the position we have holes?

keep in mind that to make that cap room, you're also creating 2-3 roster holes for backups, as well.

No team can fill 4-5 Starting roles in the Off-season. 

2 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

I'm genuinely curious how you see the Steelers getting 2 decent OLBs , starting RT, and a starting WR  out of their current cap situation and draft picks.

26 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

So you started with 4 total players that the Steelers need. You have now jumped to 4-5 starters. They will need to get a starter at OLB (Dupree or otherwise), but  they do not need 2 starters at OLB. Feiler is a RFA as stated above, so he can be had for relatively cheap. You say we need a starting WR, but Johnson or Washington or both may be the answer there, needing more depth and/or competition will be necessary and can be done with later picks. Where are these 4-5 starters needed that you keep mentioning?

As far as cap room goes, $15M potentially saved by cutting Chick, Barron, and Moncrief as stated previously. Haden/Heyward/Alualu/Villanueva/Foster will likely be cut or extended depending on cap needs and contract demands. Juju and Conner contracts will likely be delayed another year for when Ben is likely done.

There's a lot of cap manipulation that can still be done.

Edited by skywlker32
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SlevinKelevra said:

overthecap shows those cuts only freeing them up to a total of about 15M,  which resigning Dupree will likely eat a big chunk of.

So you've freed cap room to resign 1 player and you've created 2 more roster holes (granted, crap players) to do so.

Steelers like having a low year 1 cap hit in new deals..Dupree’s 1st year cap hit would probably be something like 5-6 mil.

Still plenty of room.

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Dupree can fly a kite. I dont want him back.

Who are you bringing in at OLB then? IMO he is brought back if the cap hit is relatively low with the intent of bringing in competition in the draft. Edge rusher is a position that could be a large cap hit, so any big names will be expensive.

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

Who are you bringing in at OLB then? IMO he is brought back if the cap hit is relatively low with the intent of bringing in competition in the draft. Edge rusher is a position that could be a large cap hit, so any big names will be expensive.

I dont really want a big name guy, I'd prefer a draft pick. I feel like TE, WR, OL might be areas we can get in FA at team friendly costs.

OLB I'd prefer fresh blood.

Dupree is still not good.   He isnt worth a big chunk of money.  Steeler fans seem content settling for mediocrity in many cases, and then complain when things dont improve.   Im not saying we wont resign him, because as I said, Colbert and Tomlin often favor familiarity over potential, but I sure as hell dont want him back for money he clearly doesnt deserve.

I know someone will defend him and ask who to replace him with.  Short answer....I dont care.  He isnt close to some irreplaceable piece of our defense and never has been.  If we had a bunch of disposable cap space, I wouldnt care as much....but for a team with limited money and a limited window under Ben, Id rather see us take a chance trying to improve an average at best player than overpay him and wonder why we arent improving much.

Im not saying Dupree is awful or we couldnt do worse....but for the $7-8 m per year some Steeler fans seem content with possibly paying him, I can only laugh.  And then, if/when we keep him and he continues to be a meh player, the same people supporting his resigning now will be bashing the front office for doing so in a few years.

Ive seen this story play out before.

30 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I dont really want a big name guy, I'd prefer a draft pick. I feel like TE, WR, OL might be areas we can get in FA at team friendly costs.

OLB I'd prefer fresh blood.

The Steelers will not likely rely on a rookie OLB to be starting day one though, let alone a non-1st round pick OLB. They will have someone on the roster with experience that they can trust to start at a decent level. Dupree can be that guy at the right price. As I've stated before, these declarations of "x needs to be gone" are silly when we don't know their contract demands.

20 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

The Steelers will not likely rely on a rookie OLB to be starting day one though, let alone a non-1st round pick OLB. They will have someone on the roster with experience that they can trust to start at a decent level. Dupree can be that guy at the right price. As I've stated before, these declarations of "x needs to be gone" are silly when we don't know their contract demands.

The right price on anything more than 1 year is not a penny more than $4M each year imo.

6 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Skipper deserves a chance, and won't cost much either.  I think he is avaialbe and not even requiring a draft pick to get him back on the roster. Sounds like a good idea considering the preseason he had, but will colbert admit he was wrong? Pay chickillo $4M to be a ineffective reserve and then to have him in trouble. At least bring Skipper back.

8 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Skipper deserves a chance, and won't cost much either.  I think he is avaialbe and not even requiring a draft pick to get him back on the roster. Sounds like a good idea considering the preseason he had, but will colbert admit he was wrong? Pay chickillo $4M to be a ineffective reserve and then to have him in trouble. At least bring Skipper back.

While I want Skipper to be brought back, that doesn't make up for letting Dupree walk.

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

While I want Skipper to be brought back, that doesn't make up for letting Dupree walk.

how do you know? I don't think they let dupree walk, more like he will get quite a deal from another team. Players get contracts like that all the time, he will have his turn in the offseason. Not that I would offer that contract, but I can see a few teams offering him more than I would expect the steelers to offer, but there is the colbert factor to remember - overpaying his draft picks .

From what I have seen, Skipp is really quick, especially off the snap, that  can't be taught IMO as the player either has it or doesn't.  Dupree has improved, but still has a ways to go and maybe one day he will get to that next level. He put sin the effort, and might need better coaching and some more time. Porter never helped the cause here from what I noticed.