If Tomlin were traded to Skins

Duff

33 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

how do you know? I don't think they let dupree walk, more like he will get quite a deal from another team. Players get contracts like that all the time, he will have his turn in the offseason. Not that I would offer that contract, but I can see a few teams offering him more than I would expect the steelers to offer, but there is the colbert factor to remember - overpaying his draft picks .

From what I have seen, Skipp is really quick, especially off the snap, that  can't be taught IMO as the player either has it or doesn't.  Dupree has improved, but still has a ways to go and maybe one day he will get to that next level. He put sin the effort, and might need better coaching and some more time. Porter never helped the cause here from what I noticed. 

Well the Giants cut him too and they aren't exactly stacked. Surely you can concede that maybe there is something about him that is allowing teams to cut bait. I personally would sign him over Elliot but what do I know?  At the very least, he seems like a perfect candidate for the Practice Squad. 

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Well the Giants cut him too and they aren't exactly stacked. Surely you can concede that maybe there is something about him that is allowing teams to cut bait. I personally would sign him over Elliot but what do I know?  At the very least, he seems like a perfect candidate for the Practice Squad. 

this is what IO expect to happen. Right now because of the chickillo incident, they promoted the existing signed player first, then in the process will get Skipper on the PS.  Then consider having 5 OLB's, and cut chickillo (or trade xD) and bring Skipper to the roster.  Who would lose their roster spot though to keep the 5 oLB's?

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If released and healthy, I would be in favor of signing Josh Gordon. He seems to have cleaned up his act, he is definitely better than Switzer, Holton, and imo, Moncrief.

I wouldn't take the chance, keep the team free of such history.

Skipper cleared waivers

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tuzar-skipper-clears-waivers-will-the-steelers-pick-him-up-even-if-just-on-the-practice-squad/ar-AAJg5bz

Edited by 3rivers

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

how do you know? I don't think they let dupree walk, more like he will get quite a deal from another team. Players get contracts like that all the time, he will have his turn in the offseason. Not that I would offer that contract, but I can see a few teams offering him more than I would expect the steelers to offer, but there is the colbert factor to remember - overpaying his draft picks .

From what I have seen, Skipp is really quick, especially off the snap, that  can't be taught IMO as the player either has it or doesn't.  Dupree has improved, but still has a ways to go and maybe one day he will get to that next level. He put sin the effort, and might need better coaching and some more time. Porter never helped the cause here from what I noticed. 

Again, the point of Dupree or someone similar (starter from another team or vet) is that you have someone that you are 99% sure will be starter material. Skipper hasn't proven anything. If anything he is the person you hope can take over as starter, but you don't PLAN on him as the starter.

3 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Again, the point of Dupree or someone similar (starter from another team or vet) is that you have someone that you are 99% sure will be starter material. Skipper hasn't proven anything. If anything he is the person you hope can take over as starter, but you don't PLAN on him as the starter.

he hasn't proved to be a starter, but for salary cap strapped teams, they often have to let players walk and take their chances. It's no guarantee to be as good or better, but if dupree gets a deal $12M+ for 5 years,  think about that for a bit considering the cap situation (as it is) . Then think about other potential UFA's on the team over the next few years while you are at it. 

Of course this view could change. Suppose Watt is out for a bit, and Dupree really steps up, then he will get paid from someone no matter what, Steelers or another team. When players step up their game when the other starter is out, it helps their cause. 

44 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

he hasn't proved to be a starter, but for salary cap strapped teams, they often have to let players walk and take their chances. It's no guarantee to be as good or better, but if dupree gets a deal $12M+ for 5 years,  think about that for a bit considering the cap situation (as it is) . Then think about other potential UFA's on the team over the next few years while you are at it. 

Of course this view could change. Suppose Watt is out for a bit, and Dupree really steps up, then he will get paid from someone no matter what, Steelers or another team. When players step up their game when the other starter is out, it helps their cause. 

That's the thing though, I have never said bring back Dupree at any cost though. For the right price, he should be back, otherwise I think they bring someone else in from FA. Why is it that we assume that he is going to get $10M+ per year, but then also talk about how he shouldn't be on the roster no matter what? Also, we will be extending players and restructuring to give us a decent bit of space to work with cap-wise. We can probably clear around $25M if needed and the cap will go up again.

That's the thing though, I have never said bring back Dupree at any cost though. For the right price, he should be back, otherwise I think they bring someone else in from FA. Why is it that we assume that he is going to get $10M+ per year, but then also talk about how he shouldn't be on the roster no matter what? Also, we will be extending players and restructuring to give us a decent bit of space to work with cap-wise. We can probably clear around $25M if needed and the cap will go up again.

this I'm not able to say I agree with or disagree with. It would depend on who else they acquire and on defence, suppose they opt for a top tier CB or get a comparable player for less etc.  Passrushers get paid quite well especially as they are healthy (no major injuries going into UFA), no baggage (suspensions, media drama backstabbing etc) , good teammates (see previous) , reliable (stays in shape, doesn't miss meetings etc) and if they have shown they are getting better and willing to put the time in.  If Dupree (for example) showed up overweight and out of shape every year, never worked out and was a media mouth, I wouldn't expect the contract to be generous. If he keeps improving, I don't mind if he stays for a decent price. I would prefer a dominant player or a player that gets more pressure more often, but so would everyone else. Steelers won't have Harrison/Woodley quality  OLB's for many years if at all ever again, time to realize that I guess. 

The team changes with roster turnover, maybe it's time for the secondary to keep getting better and carry the defence for a few years. Add a top tier CB and I think that secondary becomes difficult to throw on.

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

this I'm not able to say I agree with or disagree with. It would depend on who else they acquire and on defence, suppose they opt for a top tier CB or get a comparable player for less etc.  Passrushers get paid quite well especially as they are healthy (no major injuries going into UFA), no baggage (suspensions, media drama backstabbing etc) , good teammates (see previous) , reliable (stays in shape, doesn't miss meetings etc) and if they have shown they are getting better and willing to put the time in.  If Dupree (for example) showed up overweight and out of shape every year, never worked out and was a media mouth, I wouldn't expect the contract to be generous. If he keeps improving, I don't mind if he stays for a decent price. I would prefer a dominant player or a player that gets more pressure more often, but so would everyone else. Steelers won't have Harrison/Woodley quality  OLB's for many years if at all ever again, time to realize that I guess. 

The team changes with roster turnover, maybe it's time for the secondary to keep getting better and carry the defence for a few years. Add a top tier CB and I think that secondary becomes difficult to throw on.

You keep making a lot of assumptions here. Also, the Steelers just don't go into a season without a solid option as a starter. No one on the roster seems to be that (outside of Dupree/Watt) unless they know something we don't. Skipper obviously isn't that since he is on the Giants practice squad. They will either bring back Dupree or someone of similar/better ability on a shorter contract and bring in a draft pick (depending on who is the starter at OLB). If Dupree has a reasonable price, he is by far the easiest transition for the next guy up since there wouldn't be a learning period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

You keep making a lot of assumptions here. Also, the Steelers just don't go into a season without a solid option as a starter. No one on the roster seems to be that (outside of Dupree/Watt) unless they know something we don't. Skipper obviously isn't that since he is on the Giants practice squad. They will either bring back Dupree or someone of similar/better ability on a shorter contract and bring in a draft pick (depending on who is the starter at OLB). If Dupree has a reasonable price, he is by far the easiest transition for the next guy up since there wouldn't be a learning period.

This is the truth whether people want to believe it or not.

Skipper obviously isn't that since he is on the Giants practice squad.

JH92 took a while to stay on a team as well, so at this stage Skipper is more about potential rather than being a  proven solid vet. It will be interesting to see if Dupree continues to improve this season and what contract he will sign for and where. Who are some of the other OLB's on the market in the spring that will compete with him for deals?

13 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

JH92 took a while to stay on a team as well, so at this stage Skipper is more about potential rather than being a  proven solid vet. It will be interesting to see if Dupree continues to improve this season and what contract he will sign for and where. Who are some of the other OLB's on the market in the spring that will compete with him for deals?

Even if Skipper turns into a starter, I can all but guarantee that it won't be for 3-4 years.

16 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Even if Skipper turns into a starter, I can all but guarantee that it won't be for 3-4 years.

there's no way of guaranteeing this.  If he starts due to injuries and outperforms the other player (Ola) then right there he might be the new starter.  

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

there's no way of guaranteeing this.  If he starts due to injuries and outperforms the other player (Ola) then right there he might be the new starter.  

This doesn't matter in the context of the Steelers will NOT go into next season with someone like that as the expected starter. And I meant to imply that he would not be starter quality, but apparently I need to be explicit with you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

This doesn't matter in the context of the Steelers will NOT go into next season with someone like that as the expected starter. And I meant to imply that he would not be starter quality, but apparently I need to be explicit with you.

of course it's a risk right now. If they want a legit starter, they will pay $7M+ a season. With Skipper on the giants PS, the only way the steelers get him back now is a trade or putting him on the active roster. More injuries could force the issue, and for now the team hasn't cut ties with chickillo (yet).

Edited by 3rivers