What if the helmet catch never happened?

Danger

3 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Ok. Butterfly effect. The schedules slightly different so different outcomes occur. Randy Moss, Welker and Brady have slightly better career numbers, Matt Cassel is never given the chance to start. 

My  point remains valid, that catch didn’t change the direction of the league. 

It completely changes the direction of the league.

A healthy Brady could easily mean Pittsburgh doesn't win the Super Bowl.

Cassel never starting means KC drafts Sanchez.

• Like 2

It's hard to say everything but here is what likely happens in terms of butterfly effect.

- The Patriots win SB 42

- The 2007 Patriots are generally considered the GOAT single season team.

- Brady isn't injured in week 1 of 08 as they probably play against another team on TNF week 1.

- Because Brady isn't injured week 1, the Pats most likely go to the SB that year.

- Tomlin doesn't have the same job security because he doesn't have the ring from SB43

- Coughlin likely gets fired after the collapses in 2009/2010 and 2011 never happens.

- The 49ers/Packers or Patriots win SB46 as a result of the last thing.

- If it's the 49ers who win, there is a slightly less chance that Harbaugh gets chased out. (But probably still happens)

I probably am missing some other things but that seems like a good start.

Edit: Oh yeah and Eli isn't even in the conversation for being a HOF QB. Like it would be laughable to even bring him up.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

The next year if the real what if.  How do they follow it up?  From that point the Pats had some pretty big playoff failures before the Cundiff missed FG.

I mean in 2009 that team wasn’t going anywhere anyways. 2010 is the only big playoff failure in terms of losing a game they had no business losing. 

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Assuming no butterfly effect, 2 biggest changes:

Ah see, this is what I want though. What ripples and shockwaves does this send throughout the entire league, and how does it change oh so many things?

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean in 2009 that team wasn’t going anywhere anyways. 2010 is the only big playoff failure in terms of losing a game they had no business losing. 

That’s true I had my years mixed up.  I thought they lost to Flacco twice and Sanchez before the Cundiff game.

2 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

That’s true I had my years mixed up.  I thought they lost to Flacco twice and Sanchez before the Cundiff game.

I mean you can argue that the 2012 AFC Championship against the Ravens was a game that falls under a playoff failure and you wouldn't be wrong, but that was after the Cundiff game.

7 hours ago, evilflamingo said:

The sad thing is, the catch shouldn't have mattered. Some of the most blatant holds ever being uncalled is what made the play possible to even begin with. Say what you will about the underdog angle but that just ruins it for me. 

This, to me the catch doesn't bother me that much, Harrison should have played it better, that was his fault I can live with that. However, the absolute blatant hold on our Dline during that play grinds my gears, that play should have never have happened. You can even see Seymour being held by the throat. sickning

04_superbowl_lg.jpg

Edited by The Third Rider

8 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

This, to me the catch doesn't bother me that much, Harrison should have played it better, that was his fault I can live with that. However, the absolute blatant hold on our Dline during that play grinds my gears, that play should have never have happened. You can even see Seymour being held by the throat. sickning

04_superbowl_lg.jpg

NFL history would vastly different if officiating was 100% correct all the time. Your own Patriots were the beneficiaries of the terrible tuck ruling. 

• Like 1