ALCS: Yankees vs Astros

Leader

It's more than likely not going to happen, but one can hope right?

MLB: No team beat the Rays more in 2019 than the Yankees, who held a 12-7 edge in their regular-season series. For Tampa Bay, the 12 losses to New York were its most to a single opponent in any season in which it reached the postseason. The Rays also lost 12 games to the 2013 Red Sox, who they later fell to in four games in that year’s ALDS.

The Yanks held the Rays to a .220./.287/.390 slash line for a .677 OPS that was Tampa Bay’s fifth-lowest among any of its 20 opponents this season, which deserves merit given that the sample size is far larger against a divisional opponent.

Edited by Leader

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Kind of premature topic, especially if the Astros win the main post is talking about only the Yankees and Rays. 

LOL I'll edit the thread to include the winner of the TB / HOU when known.

Edited by Leader

23 hours ago, Leader said:

It's more than likely not going to happen, but one can hope right?

MLB: No team beat the Rays more in 2019 than the Yankees, who held a 12-7 edge in their regular-season series. For Tampa Bay, the 12 losses to New York were its most to a single opponent in any season in which it reached the postseason. The Rays also lost 12 games to the 2013 Red Sox, who they later fell to in four games in that year’s ALDS.

The Yanks held the Rays to a .220./.287/.390 slash line for a .677 OPS that was Tampa Bay’s fifth-lowest among any of its 20 opponents this season, which deserves merit given that the sample size is far larger against a divisional opponent.

At this point if the Rays win, they are a worthy opponent.

59 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

At this point if the Rays win, they are a worthy opponent.

Yup. They're playing tight baseball at the moment - and - there's something to be said (pro and con) about playing each other so often. Few mysteries between the teams.

But - I like it would switch to home field NYY. I was hoping they'd overtake HOU at seasons end in order to get home field. Didnt happen - but if the Rays win.........

I suspect HOU's gonna be rocking. TB would be well served to get a lead and shut them up a bit. 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yup. They're playing tight baseball at the moment - and - there's something to be said (pro and con) about playing each other so often. Few mysteries between the teams.

But - I like it would switch to home field NYY. I was hoping they'd overtake HOU at seasons end in order to get home field. Didnt happen - but if the Rays win.........

I suspect HOU's gonna be rocking. TB would be well served to get a lead and shut them up a bit. 

As the last two games showed, teams lose uncharacteristically at the Trop which makes me nervous.

Just now, crab1106 said:

As the last two games showed, teams lose uncharacteristically at the Trop which makes me nervous.

Not sure what team you follow....but the NYY dont play well in the Trop far as I can tell.

Now - playoff baseball is a different kind of beast.

I'm one of the few that gives the Rays props around here....but......if it turns out NYY/TB.....they're not getting past us to the WS.

HOU's a different kind of beast.

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not sure what team you follow....but the NYY dont play well in the Trop far as I can tell.

Now - playoff baseball is a different kind of beast.

I'm one of the few that gives the Rays props around here....but......if it turns out NYY/TB.....they're not getting past us to the WS.

HOU's a different kind of beast.

So are we. 

I would be SHOCKED if Houston loses tomorrow, that would be a massive disappointment for them.

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

So are we. 

I would be SHOCKED if Houston loses tomorrow, that would be a massive disappointment for them.

Agree on both points.

Good for us - Verlander and Cole would be out for games 1 & 2 - and have to come back on short rest later on.

Edited by Leader

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree on both points.

Good for us - Verlander and Cole would be out for games 1 & 2 - and have to come back on short rest later on.

They would not be on short rest. 

Greinke game 1, Verlander game 2, and Cole game 3 gives you normal rest for all of them. 

7 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

They would not be on short rest. 

Greinke game 1, Verlander game 2, and Cole game 3 gives you normal rest for all of them. 

Thats right. I was unclear in my thinking.

IF they wanted (or were afforded the opportunity) to bring them back for a second time later in the series - their rest period would be tighter / more compressed.

Verlander pitched on short rest for the first time - in a long time or ever(?) - yesterday. His velo was down and his breaking pitches (if thrown with intention to be over the plate called strikes) were fat (because they had little break).

Verlander lead the all MLB pitchers in regular season innings pitched. Cole was 4th. Short rest isnt whats prescribed at this stage of the season.

Its an advantage to the NYY that Verlander and Cole are being used to secure the ALDS as opposed to sitting back waiting on Saturday. Doesnt turn them into chump pitchers. Not inferring that - but its an edge to NYY.