2020 Mock Drafts - Free Agency Time!

kingseanjohn

In my eyes, our offseason, and thus draft, will revolve around tagging and then trading Jones. I dont see any way we resign him, but we also wont let him leave for nothing. I think we will be able to fetch a first for him, or close enough value. In a scenario where we have 2 1sts, or 1st and 2 seconds, we would be foolish to not trade back with at least one of our picks. That extra draft capital would be extramely valuable with our cap no doubt being decimated by Mahomes new contract.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

In my eyes, our offseason, and thus draft, will revolve around tagging and then trading Jones. I dont see any way we resign him, but we also wont let him leave for nothing. I think we will be able to fetch a first for him, or close enough value. In a scenario where we have 2 1sts, or 1st and 2 seconds, we would be foolish to not trade back with at least one of our picks. That extra draft capital would be extramely valuable with our cap no doubt being decimated by Mahomes new contract.

Would hate to do Jones dirty like this though. Man has been nothing but a positive role model and positive source of energy in the locker room, and warrior for us.

That being said, a business is a business.

18 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Would hate to do Jones dirty like this though. Man has been nothing but a positive role model and positive source of energy in the locker room, and warrior for us.

That being said, a business is a business.

For sure, I just dont see any way we can make the financials work though. We have some massive contracts in Clark, Hill, Mathieu, Watkins (I assume he will be cut) and soon to be Mahomes. The return of draft capital would be massively valuable too.

4 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

In the light of "business is business", I could see C.Jones and P.Mahomes considering "home friendly" contracts. Do you like playing in the Super Bowl? Then don't cripple your team by sucking the "lifeblood" out of them by taking "all you can get".

Even with a friendly Jones contract, I don't know we can afford him. Pretty much depends how much Mahomes gets. I can see Mahomes taking less than his true value, but its still going to destroy our cap.

One thing to consider for next season is the meat wagon. Breeland Speaks, for example, missed the whole season. He's already on the roster for next season. Speaks, Ogbah, and Okafor is a lot of depth that needs to be factored into our DL. In other cases, it's internal development. Will Khalen Saunders be ready for more PT next season. 

Here is a list of the players already on reserve

57 Speaks, Breeland OLB RES 6'3" 285 12/18/1995 2 Mississippi
74 Rankin, Martinas OG RES 6'5" 311 10/20/1994 2 Mississippi State
70 Senat, Greg OT RES 6'6" 305 9/8/1994 2 Wagner
22 Thornhill, Juan FS RES 6'0" 205 10/19/1995 0 Virginia
90 Ogbah, Emmanuel DE RES 6'4" 275 11/6/1993 4 Oklahoma State
39 Ware, Spencer RB RES 5'10" 229 11/23/1991 6 LSU
20 Reaser, Keith CB RES 6'0" 190 7/31/1991 3 Florida Atlantic
80 Davis, Felton WR RES 6'3" 211 2/25/1997 0 Michigan State
40 Lovett, John FB RES 6'3" 225 4/25/1996 0 Princeton
88 Wells, David TE RES 6'6" 260 5/2/1995 1 San Diego State
19 Kemp, Marcus WR RES 6'4" 210 8/14/1995 2 Hawaii
31 Williams, Darrel RB RES 5'11" 224 4/15/1995 2 LSU
97 Okafor, Alex DE RES 6'4" 261 2/8/1991 7 Texas

10 hours ago, kempus said:

why do you think so? Cap is not a reason.

Jones may be the second most disruptive interior lineman to Aaron Donald only. You don't let that kind of talent walk. 

50 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

why do you think so? Cap is not a reason.

Jones may be the second most disruptive interior lineman to Aaron Donald only. You don't let that kind of talent walk. 

Jones is far from the run defender any of the other, top paid, DT’s are.   I wouldn’t pay any DT top dollar if they aren’t a plus against the run.   I would miss his ability to crash the pocket though 

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

Jones is far from the run defender any of the other, top paid, DT’s are.   I wouldn’t pay any DT top dollar if they aren’t a plus against the run.   I would miss his ability to crash the pocket though 

Indeed, I don't think he is as valuable as the contract he will command, to our defense.

4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

ones is far from the run defender any of the other, top paid, DT’s are.

Jones stepped it up against the Titans. He and Mike Pennel greeted D.Henry at or behind the LOS many times. Jones is a force in the NFL, that i'm glad the Chiefs have.

Edited by mayanfootball

7 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Jones stepped it up against the Titans. He and Mike Pennel greeted D.Henry at or behind the LOS many times. Jones is a force in the NFL, that i'm glad the Chiefs have.

I’m glad the Chiefs have also... I’ll gladly take him back at 10-11 Mil.   anything above that and we have too many other players to fit that salary..  one game doesn’t impressive me,  he doesn’t have discipline in the run game and it kills us quite a bit. 

18 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

he doesn’t have discipline in the run game and it kills us quite a bit. 

He's still so young. There's things he likes to do. Other things maybe harder. He's still learning. I'll be glad to let him learn with us. Staff is learning what CJ95 can do also.

Edited by mayanfootball

21 hours ago, samsel23 said:

He’s the main reason we were able to stop the run against the Titans. He got that train started with some TFLs.

and he’s gonna have to be one of the main reasons we stop the 9ers. His ability to split double teams will be huge against the zone they run.

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He’s the main reason we were able to stop the run against the Titans. He got that train started with some TFLs.

and he’s gonna have to be one of the main reasons we stop the 9ers. His ability to split double teams will be huge against the zone they run.

Oh it’s nice when it works that way.. usually it’s him unsquaring his shoulders to split the gap and the OL just pushes him by to create a huge hole.   Henry just didn’t have the short area quickness to get to that hole.   

I hope he actually makes the tackles against the 49ers cuz it leaves a massive hole and leaves the LB to take the OL straight on 

Edited by samsel23

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Oh it’s nice when it works that way.. usually it’s him unsquaring his shoulders to split the gap and the OL just pushes him by to create a huge hole.   Henry just didn’t have the short area quickness to get to that hole.   

I hope he actually makes the tackles against the 49ers cuz it leaves a massive hole and leaves the LB to take the OL straight on 

Wouldn’t have mattered if he had the SAQ because Jones was in the backfield immediately.

i think he can, and I think he’s gonna have a solid day against the run.