Week 7 GDT: The Saints

JAF-N72EX

15 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Well the way I see it and Biggs touched on it this morning in his article. Nagy isn't just going to come out after a loss and say Mitch is getting benched. I think by Wednesday we should know for sure. Personally I thought he should have been benched after that 4th down throwaway.

As for going forward I think most people know what I think of him on here....as far as I'm concerned his free ride as a starter here is done. 

We might as well roll with him for the rest of the season and see what happens. This is not a playoff team Qbed by either Chase or Mitch.

But big picture we are done with Mitch now?

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We might as well roll with him for the rest of the season and see what happens. This is not a playoff team Qbed by either Chase or Mitch.

But big picture we are done with Mitch now?

Going by the eye test most people would come to this conclusion right now but it's hard to say what the GM and HC think of the situation.  There are several factors involved in this evaluation.  Gotta let this year play out and the question will likely answer itself.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Going by the eye test most people would come to this conclusion right now but it's hard to say what the GM and HC think of the situation.  There are several factors involved in this evaluation.  Gotta let this year play out and the question will likely answer itself.

I think the real assessment is whether they can admit what we all see.

If Pace clings to Trubisky then he should be flushed as well.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We did this with Cutler. You can change the coaches 100x, if the QB sucks it all looks the same.

Yet we have no issue making excuses for Mariota and have labeled him as "good competition" should they bring him in

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This years done.

The QB improvement will come from next year.

I disagree somewhat. Yeah, if the D continues to give up 5 ypc and get nowhere near the QB except #52, sure it is, but they were 3-3 last year. Maybe Dalton or Newton can score 2-3 TD's a game? The weapons here are far greater than they are in Cincinnati and arguably better than in Carolina. If they go into 2020 with Trubisky and wait to develop a 1st rounder in 2021, this will be another D wasted and we're back to rebuilding an entire roster. 

That may happen anyway, but give this defense every chance to win one.

37 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Screw Andy Dalton.  He's garbage.  We will go no where with that guy as our QB.

In hindsight was he worth $20m/year? No. But from 2016-2018, he had 64 touchdowns and 31 INT's. Add in the fact that he's somewhat mobile, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. He's garbage this year because, dude, look at his playmakers.

Edited by beardown3231

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Yet we have no issue making excuses for Mariota and have labeled him as "good competition" should they bring him in

I disagree somewhat. Yeah, if the D continues to give up 5 ypc and get nowhere near the QB except #52, sure it is, but they were 3-3 last year. Maybe Dalton or Newton can score 2-3 TD's a game? The weapons here are far greater than they are in Cincinnati and arguably better than in Carolina. If they go into 2020 with Trubisky and wait to develop a 1st rounder in 2021, this will be another D wasted and we're back to rebuilding an entire roster. 

That may happen anyway, but give this defense every chance to win one.

In hindsight was he worth $20m/year? No. But from 2016-2018, he had 64 touchdowns and 31 INT's. Add in the fact that he's somewhat mobile, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. He's garbage this year because, dude, look at his playmakers.

It isn't only about the Bears.

The season is done because the Bears are the worst team in the division and the Packers and Vikings are rolling.

Making the playoffs is a super long shot now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Did they really improve much though? I know people had high hopes for Montgomery. But most of this off season’s moves seemed lateral at best.

I think the thought that they got better over the off season was that the offense would improve even slightly, but in fact they have regressed to beyond garbage.

• Like 1

Mariota would had really nothing to this team. We need to split reps between Mitch and Chase and let performance dictate who starts. We need to go out and draft another QB next year and try to get Foles, Alex Smith etc. 

If Pace rolls with Mitch like Emery did with Cutler - I'm done with him. He's done a solid job but you can't screw up the QB position like he did.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Mariota would had really nothing to this team. We need to split reps between Mitch and Chase and let performance dictate who starts. We need to go out and draft another QB next year and try to get Foles, Alex Smith etc. 

If Pace rolls with Mitch like Emery did with Cutler - I'm done with him. He's done a solid job but you can't screw up the QB position like he did.

Yeah hate to tell it to you but this is pretty much next years team also hopefully with some one to compete with Mitch for the QB job. They either figure it out or they all go down in flames.

35 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Yeah hate to tell it to you but this is pretty much next years team also hopefully with some one to compete with Mitch for the QB job. They either figure it out or they all go down in flames.

Sorry I meant if he extends Mitch.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Did they really improve much though? I know people had high hopes for Montgomery. But most of this off season’s moves seemed lateral at best.

I feel they did but this offseason and summer in less obvious ways that had more to do with defensive depth.

Offensively most of the talent had already been acquired and only needed to advance in year two of Nagy's offense but therein lies the problem.  They've regressed instead of progressing at nearly every position which tells me they either aren't understanding the scheme or they simply can't execute it and Trubisky's continued to failure to grasp it and lead isn't helping.

One Poll this AM has 65% in favor of sitting Trubisky in favor of starting Daniel and I agree.  Not so much because I believe that Daniel is all that much better but rather because as it stands we're half way or more along the way to destroying whatever chance Trubisky has of pulling out of this.  His confidence is shot and playing him only to see him continue to fail won't help.

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Well it wasn't unreasonable to think very young players like Daniels, R. Smith, Nichols, Miller would be better and other players would be better with another year of experience especially at QB.  Robinson to be better because he is healthier, etc.

Logically you would think Bears would be much better.  But these aren't robots, they are people and people are much less predictable. 

Daniels has not played near as well as last year, Smith has something unknown wrong with him, Nichols got hurt, Miller has been worse, MT has been worse. 

Our returning veterans have been collectively mostly worse. 

Robinson is pretty much only one who got better like we expected. Our new additions have been some of best players.  It's everyone else who has laid an egg. 

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Nagy needs to give an honest try to open the offense up, let Mitch sink or swim this year IMO. If Mitch is the reason the offense fails, then let it show and prove that he needs to help pick out his own QB - to Pace and everyone else. He needs to call more aggressive plays to put more on Tru's shoulders and force him to throw the ball downfield more. They were really aggressive at times and couldn't seem to hold back when it didn't make sense to be aggressive (LAR game in particular). Now they hve become so conservative they can't have success. 

- Spread the damn defense out, don't bother with TEs in-line. They aren't blocking worth a damn and you can have a flexed-TE or slot WR chip down on a major EDGE rusher to force them to the OT.

- Get the play in fast, help Tru until the 15 sec mark when the NFL cuts off communication

- Stop with the RPOs - they don't work in large part because no one respects our run game (rightfully so).

- Push the ball downfield - stop with the 2 yard routes or throwing behind the LOS. If we could make people miss then I'd say fine but we don't. Shortest route should be 5 yards, you should have someone going deep with a streak/fade/corner/post every single play, at least one.

- Play with tempo, the best the Bears have looked for the last 10 games is when they are really trying to go in a 2 minute drill. Of course part of that is softer coverages but make them cover all levels of the field and don't let them substitute. Helfrich should be able to see mismatch possibilites if they re playing someone in one spot, Nagy should be smart enough to take that information and call a play that abuses it.

- Call nothing but pass plays, let Tru have the option (along with what is relayed to him from Nagy/Helfrich) to audible to runs based on alignment. Moore did that with Manning, and the helmets have had radios eqiupped in them since the mid-90s, they should have this down just out of experience. They should have a list of dummy audibles as well.

Then if Tru succeeds then great, you have  formula to win with, if not then you find some way to dump him in the offseason just to open up the $9ish mil cap hit to add talent elsewhere or extend ARob, IDC if you use your two top picks on QBs and have an open competition, get something together and try again in 2020 if he isn't your guy.

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well it wasn't unreasonable to think very young players like Daniels, R. Smith, Nichols, Miller would be better and other players would be better with another year of experience especially at QB.  Robinson to be better because he is healthier, etc.

Logically you would think Bears would be much better.  But these aren't robots, they are people and people are much less predictable. 

Daniels has not played near as well as last year, Smith has something unknown wrong with him, Nichols got hurt, Miller has been worse, MT has been worse. 

Our returning veterans have been collectively mostly worse. 

Robinson is pretty much only one who got better like we expected. Our new additions have been some of best players.  It's everyone else who has laid an egg. 

I'm not sure expecting development across the board is fair. Not all young players develop even under the best coaches. Daniels, for example, is making a position change.

I'm not even sure I'd say our veterans have played worse. This team looked incredible early in the season. Several main contributors have been injured (e.g. Burton, Gabriel). But the QB issues are overwhelming and it seems like we're at the point where players are quitting on the guy leading the huddle.