Week 7 GDT: The Saints

JAF-N72EX

The improvements on offense really have to come from the guys playing. Replacing Long is the only obvious talent upgrade the Bears can make.

Rich Campbell was on the Score and he asked "why do we assume that improvement will come this season?" If it was coming why has it not happened. If Mitch was going to take a step why wasn't it obvious against GB or Denver and why do we assume it will happen now that he is injured? If Leno was going to improve why did he wait 5 weeks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The improvements on offense really have to come from the guys playing. Replacing Long is the only obvious talent upgrade the Bears can make.

Rich Campbell was on the Score and he asked "why do we assume that improvement will come this season?" If it was coming why has it not happened. If Mitch was going to take a step why wasn't it obvious against GB or Denver and why do we assume it will happen now that he is injured? If Leno was going to improve why did he wait 5 weeks?

I wouldn't say obvious talent upgrade when Long is one of our more naturally talented OL...he just clearly is not the same physical presence he once was.  It will be interesting to see how the line shakes out in practice next week.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Well Leno can change his hand placements so he isn't getting called for holdings and we can improve Long's slot (no guarantee) that could make a difference.

1) There have been very few open running lanes this year.

2) There have been multiple free runners or barely impeded runners at QB.  

If either one of those improve that can mean successful plays which compound on themselves across board.  More first downs, more time of possession, more defensive rest, more opportunities for big plays ....

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Well Leno can change his hand placements so he isn't getting called for holdings and we can improve Long's slot (no guarantee) that could make a difference.

1) There have been very few open running lanes this year.

2) There have been multiple free runners or barely impeded runners at QB.  

If either one of those improve that can mean successful plays which compound on themselves across board.  More first downs, more time of possession, more defensive rest, more opportunities for big plays ....

The thing is that although Leno was never an all-pro type of talent he has shown in the past he can be good enough to handle pressure at the LT spot.

Something happened this past off season with him.  Maybe he didn't train as hard and/or got complacent and like Windy mentioned he looks like he got a little too beefy and does not look like he's in optimal playing shape, nor does most of the o-line.

While a lot of this falls on the players themselves I am looking at the coaching here.  They have to do a better of getting these guys conditioned.  If I am Nagy/Hiestand I am making these guys run wind sprints after every practice until they show they are in tip top shape.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I wouldn't say obvious talent upgrade when Long is one of our more naturally talented OL...he just clearly is not the same physical presence he once was.  It will be interesting to see how the line shakes out in practice next week.

More statistical evidence that Long is on a steep and quick decline.

19 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Honestly, at 35 I could wander out there and be more of a speed bump. His play has been horrendous, a live body would be an upgrade.

17 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The thing is that although Leno was never an all-pro type of talent he has shown in the past he can be good enough to handle pressure at the LT spot.

Something happened this past off season with him.  Maybe he didn't train as hard and/or got complacent and like Windy mentioned he looks like he got a little too beefy and does not look like he's in optimal playing shape, nor does most of the o-line.

While a lot of this falls on the players themselves I am looking at the coaching here.  They have to do a better of getting these guys conditioned.  If I am Nagy/Hiestand I am making these guys run wind sprints after every practice until they show they are in tip top shape.

Leno's feet have been horrendous in the run game. He has not base and he is trying to cut guys off by stepping underneath himself and gaining no ground, that will never work and he is forced to hold.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Leno's feet have been horrendous in the run game. He has not base and he is trying to cut guys off by stepping underneath himself and gaining no ground, that will never work and he is forced to hold.

He isn't even acting like he is aware of the play. On one sweep (I think Patterson's) he just had to step forward and he could have walled off the LB after he took a false step inside, but instead he waddled inside and then was completely unable to touch his guy - who made the play. 

He has been garbage. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

tumblr_niqrzbZw121smcbm7o1_500.gif

Because you don't see Long listed? He's listed at 67 below Demby.  Or because there might be assignments they can't see that might be blamed on him incorrectly?

I'm confused on how you're confused. Lol

Edited by Sugashane