Our ILBs and the Importance of Position Coaches

AngusMcFife

18 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Bynes started and got 72% of the defense snaps! What a crazy development.

And Young and Board combined for 1 snap on defense. Not a good sign for our young ILB's to be honest and also not a good indication of the coaching we have there if Kenny Young took this much of a step backwards.

23 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And Young and Board combined for 1 snap on defense. Not a good sign for our young ILB's to be honest and also not a good indication of the coaching we have there if Kenny Young took this much of a step backwards.

Did they? I thought the commentators said Young wasn't active for the game.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/mike-macdonald

Mike Macdonald is the culprit. He needs to go. Either that or he needs more tutelage and we need to add an OLB /ILB coach like when Wink first started in Baltimore. The LBs have vastly underperformed. The OLBs are terrible. And Macdonalds resume is pretty questionable to boot.

Would move him to a different spot and see if he can make something happen.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/mike-macdonald

Mike Macdonald is the culprit. He needs to go. Either that or he needs more tutelage and we need to add an OLB /ILB coach like when Wink first started in Baltimore. The LBs have vastly underperformed. The OLBs are terrible. And Macdonalds resume is pretty questionable to boot.

Would move him to a different spot and see if he can make something happen.

from his bio:

Mike Macdonald enters his first season as the team’s linebackers coach.

That explains a lot....

40 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

from his bio:

That explains a lot....

Apparently the marketing team could find enough good things to say about him from 2018. That was actually his first season a LB coach, this is his second.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/01/10/lombardis-way/mike-macdonald/

I guess Peanut has improved, but the reality that Bowser, Williams, Ferguson, Young, Board, etc. have not done well... tells me that this dude is in over his head. We need to make serious defensive changes from top to bottom. There’s not a single assistance on defense that is in the DC/HC pipeline for the NFL. This is terrible. If Harbaugh doesn’t make major defensive changes to the coaching staff this offseason and we don’t right ship, he needs to be back on the hotseat.

I don’t care about draft picks being invested in the offseason. The Ravens having a bottom 5 defense is just COMPLETELY unacceptable. Regardless of the talent the coaches aren’t proving that they can at least squeeze the best out of it, thus the defensive coaches need to go after this season if things hold true.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Apparently the marketing team could find enough good things to say about him from 2018. That was actually his first season a LB coach, this is his second.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/01/10/lombardis-way/mike-macdonald/

I guess Peanut has improved, but the reality that Bowser, Williams, Ferguson, Young, Board, etc. have not done well... tells me that this dude is in over his head. We need to make serious defensive changes from top to bottom. There’s not a single assistance on defense that is in the DC/HC pipeline for the NFL. This is terrible. If Harbaugh doesn’t make major defensive changes to the coaching staff this offseason and we don’t right ship, he needs to be back on the hotseat.

I don’t care about draft picks being invested in the offseason. The Ravens having a bottom 5 defense is just COMPLETELY unacceptable. Regardless of the talent the coaches aren’t proving that they can at least squeeze the best out of it, thus the defensive coaches need to go after this season if things hold true.

I couldn't agree more here. The fact we can't develop literally anyone is just unacceptable and yeah when's the last time an assistant that was groomed here left to be a DC/HC elsewhere? Was it when Chuck took someone with him to Indy?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I couldn't agree more here. The fact we can't develop literally anyone is just unacceptable and yeah when's the last time an assistant that was groomed here left to be a DC/HC elsewhere? Was it when Chuck took someone with him to Indy?

Tyrel Austin was our DBs coach through 2013, then was DC of the Lions for 4 years and DC of the Bengals for 1 year. 

• Like 1

It's hard for me to blame the LB coach because Wink Martindale was our LB coach from through 2017. I think he still would have a great impact on how our LBs are coached.

For instance, Rex Ryan always had high levels of DL play wherever he coached because that was his best trait, getting awesome production out of sometimes average to above average talent. If the DC has expertise in coaching one position group, he should be able to keep that unit productive IMO. The position coaches are really there to implement the ideas of the DC, they are like conduits. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's hard for me to blame the LB coach because Wink Martindale was our LB coach from through 2017. I think he still would have a great impact on how our LBs are coached.

For instance, Rex Ryan always had high levels of DL play wherever he coached because that was his best trait, getting awesome production out of sometimes average to above average talent. If the DC has expertise in coaching one position group, he should be able to keep that unit productive IMO. The position coaches are really there to implement the ideas of the DC, they are like conduits. 

Disagree with your take. The DC is gathering the concepts to make the entire defense work smoothly. He relies on the i individual coaches to teach the technique and develop players based on their ability to relate with players, teach them techniques, evaluate tendencies, watch film, etc.

I believe you’re clearly underrating the impact of the late Clarence Brooks. Our DLs consistently were a dominant unit under his tutelage from 2005 to 2015. Guys like Arthur Jones popped from the 5th round, Kelly Gregg continued to be a player, he helped to keep Ngata primed, got Trevor Pryce to a career season, etc.

The individual position coaches have a HUGE impact on the success of a defense.  I think our DB coach is the only one I could point to with a resume that’s very impressive (Humphrey, Young, best defensive unit, etc), Cullen has done a quality job with the Run stopping unit, but he also hasn’t gotten more upfront in terms of pass rush development. A guy like Seiler especially had the athleticism and strength to develop and so far he’s regressed this season. 

Zadarius Smith had a breakout contract year but prior to that hadn’t really played inspired ball, that’s on the position coach for not finding ways to motivate him outside of money or using money via a separate strategy. Judon has generally been schemed open, which isn’t really great coaching. Mosley was gaining additional weight when he should have been trying to slim up for better coverage. Our young pass rushers never developed. 

• Like 1