Packers, Corey Linsley Discussing Extension

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I had heard that it was Tretter type money that they were discussing...which would be a great deal for the club.  Guessing it ends up a little more than that....  Either way, it will be a nice player to get locked up.

if its Tretter $ they can get him for (which honestly is pretty fair for both sides) then i'm a happy dude... 

The beauty of re-signing Linsley is that GB keeps the QB of the OL intact.

Makes it easier on Rodgers, easier on Jahri Evans and easier on who ever will play RG in 2018 and beyond. Continuity on the OL is often talked about as being critical to success, so locking him up actually helps at multiple positions.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/07/27/packers-hoping-corey-linsley-has-center-position-covered/516294001/

"To say the Packers need Linsley to round back into form and stay healthy this season is an understatement. He’s a vital link between Aaron Rodgers and the pass protection given his assignment responsibilities and proximity to the quarterback.

All of the linemen make calls to set up the protection, but the center should be in charge and with veteran guards T.J. Lang and Josh Sitton gone, his input will be critical. Insert Barclay, Amichia or Patrick and the drop-off is enormous."

The offense starts when I get my hand on the ball,” Linsley said. I’m talking about getting everybody on the same page, which includes the guard. If Jahri (Evans) has a question, I need to answer it real quick, making sure I’m clear and clean in my communication."

Tretter's deal is probably the floor for Linsley. Imo, they're about the same quality, but Linsley is more proven (about 3 times as many snaps under his belt) and not quite as many injury concerns. Plus, inflation alone tends to bump things up 7-8% every year. I'm figuring maybe $6.5m avg but might look a little less due to spreading some of the signing bonus into this year's cap. 

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Tretter's deal is probably the floor for Linsley. Imo, they're about the same quality, but Linsley is more proven (about 3 times as many snaps under his belt) and not quite as many injury concerns. Plus, inflation alone tends to bump things up 7-8% every year. I'm figuring maybe $6.5m avg but might look a little less due to spreading some of the signing bonus into this year's cap. 

7.5 is my educated guess without looking at any competing salaries lol

When Tretter left without much (if any) resistance from GB, the Packers were essentially announcing a decision to go with Linsley over Tretter at C.  That being the case, I have to expect any contract Linsley signs now to be a better deal than what Tretter just signed.  That being said, as long as the numbers are in the same ballpark, I'll be happy enough.

Archived