Bucs release LB Bucannon - regain third round comp pick

bucsfan333

10 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

🤔

Unless Licht just woke up and said, “Hey we can get a 3rd round comp pick if I release Deone” you’d have to think there was a more thought out motive.

PewterReport said they have been hearing Bucs are unlikely to trade for Pat Peterson but hopefully the vibes inside of One Buc changed recently.

26 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Unless Licht just woke up and said, “Hey we can get a 3rd round comp pick if I release Deone” you’d have to think there was a more thought out motive.

PewterReport said they have been hearing Bucs are unlikely to trade for Pat Peterson but hopefully the vibes inside of One Buc changed recently.

as much as I want Petetson, just don t see it happening.  The Cards were steadfast enough to want a draft pick for Peterson.  I believe the Bucs would have to significantly have the best offer on the table.  At this point, Hargreaves is playing his way out of his 5 th yr option, just waiting for SMB and Dean to get more run.  They have to get these guys reps soon.  High draft choices with starters playing below average, got to see what you got eventually.

3 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

We've restructured contracts a few times and just added a third. It would make sense to use all that for a trade.

But we don't have the cap space. Unless we wanna go all in this year (like Dirk did last year) and screw the cap for next season (like Dirk did last year).

On 10/9/2019 at 2:50 PM, ravishingone said:

as much as I want Petetson, just don t see it happening.  The Cards were steadfast enough to want a draft pick for Peterson.  I believe the Bucs would have to significantly have the best offer on the table.  At this point, Hargreaves is playing his way out of his 5 th yr option, just waiting for SMB and Dean to get more run.  They have to get these guys reps soon.  High draft choices with starters playing below average, got to see what you got eventually.

Agree on needing to get young guys playing time but that can be done with CB2 and slot. They guys at PewterReport made some good comments around young corners. Yes they need game experience but even high draft picks take 1-2 years of experience before they really come into their own. Do BA and Licht have 2 years to continue to get torched on D when a corner like Pat Pete could step in and make a world of difference right away? Not just with on field play but also as the mentor to the young guys? VH3 and Carlton are the “vets” of this CB room. I get that Licht wants these guys to develop but if they continue to get eaten up all year and VH3 obviously not returning, we need to draft another CB and they wait another year to get them game experience before they get good? That can’t be the plan. 

And @bucsfan333 I hear what you’re saying about cap but that’s cap for this year. Yeah we got to resign guys next year or maybe Shaq this year, but we can make plenary of necessary roster moves to be under the cap, even if we’re right up against it. $1 mil or $10 mil left over, doesn’t matter.

Do I think we make the trade? Probably not. But we’re idiots if we win Sunday and get to 3-3 and torpedo the rest of the season and maybe part of next to keep having CB1, CB2 and slot “get experience.” Move everyone down a slot and get a real CB1.

32 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

And @bucsfan333 I hear what you’re saying about cap but that’s cap for this year. Yeah we got to resign guys next year or maybe Shaq this year, but we can make plenary of necessary roster moves to be under the cap, even if we’re right up against it. $1 mil or $10 mil left over, doesn’t matter.

Over the cap has us at $83M next year. Jameis and Barrett are gonna eat $50M or more of that.

PP is at $13M next year. Even an extension leaves his cap hit about the same for 2020-2021, since that's how we usually structure contracts.

That would put us at 38 players under contract with ~$20M to fill the last 15 spots.

We can cut Jensen ($10M), Gholston ($4.75M), and Lavonte ($10.75M) to free up more cap space. But Jensen has been our best lineman this year and Lavonte/Gholston have been among our best players on defense.

It just doesn't seem feasible to trade for a top CB and pay him top CB money without severely hurting another spot(s) on the roster.