Week 6 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Couldn't ask for a better start and better performance against the Browns. Shanahan adjusting his usual bye week schedule by sprinkling in a few more practices certainly paid off. 

As for the Rams, they are coming off two back to back losses and with how competitive this division is, they really can't afford to lose on Sunday. They will be highly motivated and well rested having four more days off than us since we played on Monday Night.

Some of the things I'm looking for are:

-As always against the Rams, how are we able to slow Donald down just enough? He will be seeing a lot of Person/Richburg, but those two can't handle him alone. But because of that, we are going to have to leave Skule on an island against Fowler more than we did this prior week. How does he hold up with less help?

-Does Phillips sell out against the run and force Jimmy G to beat them or just rely on his front to win up front? Rams have been better against the run than the pass all season even though the Seahawks were able to runt he ball effectively against them.

-How much of a blow is the loss of Juice Check to our offense and how does Shanahan make up for that loss?

-Can we generate any big plays over the top? We really didn't have to against the Browns but we are lacking this element in our passing game. The Rams have had some breakdown in coverage the past few weeks and other times their corners have just been flat out beat, but it would be nice to connect with a deep pass to Pettis or Goodwin this game.

-How does our secondary hold up against the Rams trio of WRs? The Browns have talented WRs obviously, but the Rams passing game will be a much bigger threat. Moseley likely gets tested much more this game than he did on Monday. I didn't particularly like how Sherman played some of the routes against the Browns but that could have been just the game plan to prevent any big plays. Well, Rams WRs certainly are a problem and Cooks can take the top off the defense. Williams will have his hands full with Kupp, that goes without saying.

-Can our front be disruptive to the point it completely throws Goff of his game? This will be the key as Mayfield was shell shocked and never got in any rhythm whatsoever due to the constant pressure in his face. That will be the key especially if Gurley doesn't get more than 15 or so carries.

I think we are every bit as good as the Rams, if not better. And I will likely be picking us to win next match up at home, but I can't do it here. Rams will be desperate and well rested as I stated earlier and I think they pull out a close one, something like 23-20.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

My early thoughts on this matchup:

• Slow Kupp Down: It's imperative the Niners prevent Kupp from racking up the YAC. Niners need to figure out how to relegate him to a possession receiver as much as possible. 
  • Less Rest & More Injuries: It's a short week with some big injuries, how does this team face adversity? The Steelers game said a lot about this team's mental makeup. Can they mask their injuries enough to win?
  • Feast or Famine?: The defensive line has another ripe opportunity to feast this weekend, but will McVay neutralize them? McVay is light years ahead of Kitchens and won't put his team in bad situations like Kitchens did to the Browns (ex. TE 1-on-1 against Bosa). If the Niners d-line can penetrate, they can make Goff uncomfortable and force him into bad decisions. I think we'll see a few more sacks and a pick or two this weekend.
  • Who Will Step Up?: Can any of our WR's break free and show out this weekend? We NEED Jimmy G to play like he did against the Bengals, but we also really need Pettis and Samuel to hang on to the ball and make big plays. 
  • Special teams: Can anyone snap a ball accurately to a holder? Of all of the issues in the NFL, this has to be one of the dumbest to have. 3 missed FG's against the Rams will kill the Niners this weekend. Can't have it.
  • Youngsters in the Spotlight: What will Skule and Mosely look like this weekend? Skule played well enough to not get noticed against the Browns and Mosely was targeted only twice. The Rams will almost assuredly target Mosely early and often. To me, this will be a huge test for him. I image he will be on Cooks most of the game due to his athleticism. Can Skule hold up against the EDGE defenders of the Rams? I would love to Skule build off his good game against the Browns and hold his own against the Rams.  
Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 2

Two things I think of right away is stopping Kupp and getting pressure right up the middle to rattle Goff. 

It's hard and very rare with good teams to go on a three game losing streak. In fact, I was rooting for them to beat Seattle last week based on this game. If the 49ers do lose, at least have it be competitive and close. For as long as I have been following them, they have a tendency when playing an away game against a good team to get blown out even if they are also a good team. 

1 minute ago, 49ers2015 said:

Two things I think of right away is stopping Kupp and getting pressure right up the middle to rattle Goff. 

It's hard and very rare with good teams to go on a three game losing streak. In fact, I was rooting for them to beat Seattle last week based on this game. If the 49ers do lose, at least have it be competitive and close. For as long as I have been following them, they have a tendency when playing an away game against a good team to get blown out even if they are also a good team. 

Just going off our pattern from this season, expect a tight game. So far we have been in a tight game against TB until the late pick six, blowout vs Cincy, tight game vs Pitt and then a blowout vs Cleveland. But yeah, I just want to be competitive with the Rams until the end. We just have too much going against us this week, especially having to adjust to playing without Juice Check on a short week. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just going off our pattern from this season, expect a tight game. So far we have been in a tight game against TB until the late pick six, blowout vs Cincy, tight game vs Pitt and then a blowout vs Cleveland. But yeah, I just want to be competitive with the Rams until the end. We just have too much going against us this week, especially having to adjust to playing without Juice Check on a short week. 

With Juice out, I'm assuming the back up tight up will act as the FB?

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Dwelley took two snaps from the backfield after juice went out, so I assume it will be him

I was thinking this as well. Toilolo is a much better blocker, but he's too big and too slow to be a FB. Dwelley seems like the logical choice at this point. Could we even see Kittle lined up there for a few snaps?

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

I was thinking this as well. Toilolo is a much better blocker, but he's too big and too slow to be a FB. Dwelley seems like the logical choice at this point. Could we even see Kittle lined up there for a few snaps?

There are plays and motions where Kittle ends up in the backfield for sure. And I wouldn't be overly surprised if we just started running more 2 TE sets. I think the team wants to avoid Kittle back there just because he's so good in line and at his position as it. I think it will mostly be Dwelley because as you said, he's the most logical choice. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, if this is a true pattern, we're going to go 19-0 with a great, close score Super Bowl game, so I will take it. 

• Like 1

I'm laughing way too much at this Sherman/Baker incident or non-incident. Sherman is now saying he may have "misremembered" how it really went down and is blaming how it was reported....After bringing it up himself in the post-game conference LOL.

The man truly makes stuff up to psyche himself out. He accused Crabtree or disrespecting him at some golf tournament back in the day........Which probably didn't happen either LOL.

Two real factors will be containing Fowler and the 49ers secondary versus the Rams WR's.

How do you contain Fowler?

Run at him and screen him to death. Make him move his feet and use his energy for something other than just pinning his ears back to rush.

How do you contain the Rams WRs?

Pressure on Goff has been huge all year. Cooks also has to clear the concussion protocol before he can play. If he is out we will see Josh Reynolds. The Rams love to spread you out with 3 WR sets. That can leave them susceptible to the rush. Bosa versus Whitworth will be a very interesting matchup.

I also believe that the Niners are as good or better. Look for a game that tilts back and forth with the 49ers pulling it off by, get this, a Robbie Gould field goal. 20-17

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm laughing way too much at this Sherman/Baker incident or non-incident. Sherman is now saying he may have "misremembered" how it really went down and is blaming how it was reported....After bringing it up himself in the post-game conference LOL.

The man truly makes stuff up to psyche himself out. He accused Crabtree or disrespecting him at some golf tournament back in the day........Which probably didn't happen either LOL.

He loves to be the underdog, it stems all the way back to the Crabtree incident. It looks really dumb considering his level of play and accomplishments but whatever works for him lol. 

1 hour ago, mw2noobbuster said:

He loves to be the underdog, it stems all the way back to the Crabtree incident. It looks really dumb considering his level of play and accomplishments but whatever works for him lol. 

Hey, if these things work for guys, cool. They're on my team now. Similarly, I read how Kiffin repeatedly played the Baker Mayfield flag plant tape in defensive line meetings this week to get Bosa fired up.

If these little things work, keep doing them. I heard Woods and Cooks were talking about Sherman's mama. I say we get this info over to him.