Week 6 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm wondering how the Rams home field advantage will be, if it even exists. There are a lot of 49ers fans in LA.

I went to college down there and I can confirm this. Tons of niners fans. It's been a lot of niners fans at these games the last few years 

My plan was to go to this game, but it's fleet week up here in the city so the timing didn't line up. Oh well

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm wondering how the Rams home field advantage will be, if it even exists. There are a lot of 49ers fans in LA.

I’ve gone last couple years and there’s definitely a lot of niner fans, but it’s still definitely a Rams crowd. Not like the Chargers games right now where Rivers is having to do a silent count in his own stadium. Kinda sad actually. 

4 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I’ve gone last couple years and there’s definitely a lot of niner fans, but it’s still definitely a Rams crowd. Not like the Chargers games right now where Rivers is having to do a silent count in his own stadium. Kinda sad actually. 

That's partly because we've been terrible and they have been really good. We've played them week 17 for a few years now. This is way different than being 4-0 in October and in first place 

One thing going for Jimmy G is he actually thrives when the team is undermanned and in tough situations. Just look at the Pitt game and how many hits he was taking with the OL playing so bad as it was without Staley for the first time. Even in 2017 when he took over he had a suspect OL in front of him but still got it done. 

The WRs will have to step up and that goes without saying. May not be the worst of ideas to try to force some balls to Kittle and get him going early and often. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

True, but the games didn’t matter and the Rams had back ups in. Season ticket holders sell their tickets for those games. 

Yes, but the amount of people selling tickets doesnt matter. Its a huge stadium and it rarely fills up all the way. Its about who is buying the tickets. both years we had been eliminated from contention for like 3 months lol and even then, we had a pretty healthy amount of fans there. I expect it to be VERY RED this weekend

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

With us being a limping top dog in the division right now, I expect the Rams fans to show up in force. 

We are undefeated. THERES NO LIMPING DOG HERE. JUST HUNGRY DOGS ON THE HUNT. 

BEAT LA

It looks to me like Goff has improved a lot under pressure. If you compare the SB to him now, it seems light and day. In the SB, he'd fold up like a deck-chair, but now he seems to side step and keep his eyes downfield. Check the TB game, he was under pressure a lot and still made some clinical throws.

I think taking away his options and forcing him to go through his reads is the best thing to do. He'll start panicking and throwing pickable balls when this happens. 

Got to do something about Kupp, yes. The blueprint on limiting Donald is now out there, even though you have to use a lot of resources - he's not putting up the same numbers. You should definitely be able to move the ball. 

GO SF!!

Okay so injuries aside there is some good here. 

In that 4-6 weeks time-frame (Seahawks game right?) the 9ers should have some key people back.

The real test here is if they cane be competitive and even if they lose close, the doubts will subside cause it was at least it was close. Rams are still a good team even though they lost close to another good team in Seattle. I guess I'm just getting at it not to be a blowout..lol.

With said injuries, do we expect a lot of shotgun formation with some quick slants perhaps?

8 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Okay so injuries aside there is some good here. 

In that 4-6 weeks time-frame (Seahawks game right?) the 9ers should have some key people back.

The real test here is if they cane be competitive and even if they lose close, the doubts will subside cause it was at least it was close. Rams are still a good team even though they lost close to another good team in Seattle. I guess I'm just getting at it not to be a blowout..lol.

With said injuries, do we expect a lot of shotgun formation with some quick slants perhaps?

I actually just posted in the Mike McGlinchey thread about time tables for everyone's return. Yes, you're right. We should have everyone back by the MNF game against the Seahawks. 

After the initial reaction to the latest injury last night, I've stepped back from the ledge, a little. Here's why:

Witherspoon: Mosely looked very, very good in his coverage snaps against the Browns. Yes, it was extremely limited and I expect that to change, but Mosely has looked good every time he's been on the field dating all the way back to OTA's. Not saying Mosely is a Pro Bowler or anything, but I don't expect him to be terrible. Also, the pass rush will help prevent longer, more intricate routes being ran on him, which is a big plus.

Staley: Skule has actually looked pretty decent, especially in the run game. Shanahan has been negating consistent pressure by calling quick-hitting passing plays. Staley is going to be back in 2 weeks, then Skule will shift over to the right side, presumably. This injury has hurt less and less by the play of Skule and the scheming of Shanahan.

Juszczyk: This injury hurts the creativity of the offense, but it doesn't cripple the execution. There are more teams succeeding without a FB than teams with one. If Shanahan can't keep the running game going without a FB, we've got bigger problems. Losing him hurts, but it isn't going to prevent the Niners from being a successful running team. This injury should actually hurt the least out of any of them.

McGlinchey: This injury hurts because it's going to be Brunskill or Young out there for the next 3 games. Yes, Mike is gone for most likely the next 5 games, but as I mentioned above, Skule should kick over to the right side when Staley is back in week 8. They just need to hang on for this game and the next one. We've seen Shanahan negate the pass rush with quick-hitting plays to help Skule, this will also help whoever is playing RT. The worrying part is how do they hold up in the run game. 

• Like 1

I feel like this is good and bad. Obviously, at the current point in time, part of this will be a way to get out from under possible pass protection issues that may be generated by using your 4th and 5th string tackles. But the other side of this is that everything is short and within a small window. Basically relying on your receivers to break tackles and get the RAC. One of the biggest complaints about the tampa game (before any injuries) was that everything was short and within a small window. While we didn't need the passing game monday night, I found the set up fairly similar and at one point, Jimmy G had 10 attempts for 26 yards. We need to be able to get chunk yardage and push the ball downfield more consistently in the passing game, especially on nights where the running game may not be effective. The short and quick hitters are far too easy to defend against a coaching staff worth anything (teams shouldn't be giving 5-8 yard cushions, for example)