Week 6 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

16 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Look at how accurate his passes were and how they allowed the receivers to pick up some YAC. The first few weeks he was a little inaccurate even on completions. 

Wish the RZ turnover didn't happen and Coleman had caught that pass, would have made his numbers look much better. Nice performance, especially when he was under duress. 

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I have a feeling now that Shanahan has the personnel to really put it on the Redskins, he will try to run up the score. Last meeting we were over matched and still put up a decent showing but this Sunday he will have something nice planned for the Redskins. 

Over/under 38 points we score? 

Generally speaking, I'll take the under unless the defense has a big day creating turnovers and maybe even scores themselves. 

I just don't think that there is any reason to get away from what we want to do, regardless of the opponent. In my opinion, that means running the ball, controlling the clock, etc. Slowing down the pace, which obviously impacts the amount of points you can score. We are very efficient with regards to how often we score on a per drive basis  (2nd in net yards and points per drive), 7th in offensive points per drive (and honestly, if we clean up the red zone woes, missed fg's, that would be much higher), 2nd in time of possession per drive (these were all leading into the game yesterday - hasn't been updated with yesterday's game). 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Generally speaking, I'll take the under unless the defense has a big day creating turnovers and maybe even scores themselves. 

I just don't think that there is any reason to get away from what we want to do, regardless of the opponent. In my opinion, that means running the ball, controlling the clock, etc. Slowing down the pace, which obviously impacts the amount of points you can score. We are very efficient with regards to how often we score on a per drive basis  (2nd in net yards and points per drive), 7th in offensive points per drive (and honestly, if we clean up the red zone woes, missed fg's, that would be much higher), 2nd in time of possession per drive (these were all leading into the game yesterday - hasn't been updated with yesterday's game). 

For sure, but we have put up big points in most of our games. Well, I guess decent amount of points vs Pitt. But against the Bucs/Bengals/Browns, we cleared 30+ points and left some points on the table against the Bucs/Browns. I think we can get to 35+ points this game. The Redskins pass defense is AWFUL and their run defense is at least decent. So I figured Shanahan would try to pass more against the Rams and that's what ended up happening and I expect him to start the game passing against Washington as well. Something like 55-45 or 60-40 pass to run ratio in the 1st half before presumably going run heavy in the 2nd half when we get a big lead. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

For sure, but we have put up big points in most of our games. Well, I guess decent amount of points vs Pitt. But against the Bucs/Bengals/Browns, we cleared 30+ points and left some points on the table against the Bucs/Browns. I think we can get to 35+ points this game. The Redskins pass defense is AWFUL and their run defense is at least decent. So I figured Shanahan would try to pass more against the Rams and that's what ended up happening and I expect him to start the game passing against Washington as well. Something like 55-45 or 60-40 pass to run ratio in the 1st half before presumably going run heavy in the 2nd half when we get a big lead. 

Oh, don't get me wrong...I think it's possible. But I could see a scenario where we play our game of controlling the clock and go up 21-3 after 4 drives, the game is entering the third quarter and we just grind the rest of it out. I'll be curious to see if we pass the ball more. It's crazy to think that even though we were passing the ball more, we still ran the ball 40 times LOL

Just now, Forge said:

Oh, don't get me wrong...I think it's possible. But I could see a scenario where we play our game of controlling the clock and go up 21-3 after 4 drives, the game is entering the third quarter and we just grind the rest of it out. I'll be curious to see if we pass the ball more. It's crazy to think that even though we were passing the ball more, we still ran the ball 40 times LOL

Oh yeah, but to be fair we got SUPER conservative in the 4th quarter and even towards the end of the 3rd quarter where we mainly just ran the ball. But in the 1st half, Shanny was mainly relying on the pass game knowing the Rams were going to try to stop the run game, which is exactly what they did. And honestly, our pass game was working but a missed FG at the end of the half and a RZ turnover prevented us from scoring more than 7 points. 

DO NOT start opposing WRs on your fantasy teams when they play SF!!!!

P.s, I kind of have no choice but to start McLaurin in one a 16 team league. Um, get yourself a big catch when your team is down 40-0!!!!! 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Look at how accurate his passes were and how they allowed the receivers to pick up some YAC. The first few weeks he was a little inaccurate even on completions. 

Wish the RZ turnover didn't happen and Coleman had caught that pass, would have made his numbers look much better. Nice performance, especially when he was under duress. 

That interception in the endzone was really bad, and that near interception to Littleton. Other than that, mostly clean. 

On 10/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, NinerNation21 said:

My early thoughts on this matchup:

• Slow Kupp Down: It's imperative the Niners prevent Kupp from racking up the YAC. Niners need to figure out how to relegate him to a possession receiver as much as possible. Kupp had 4 catches for 17 yards. Complete shutdown of one of the best receivers in the game right now. Credit to the secondary, but HUGE credit to the defensive line for not giving Goff even a second to see the field in front of him. 
  • Less Rest & More Injuries: It's a short week with some big injuries, how does this team face adversity? The Steelers game said a lot about this team's mental makeup. Can they mask their injuries enough to win? Another positive check in the box of "Can we handle adversity?" This is a resilient team and a lot of credit goes to Shanahan for developing a masterful, yet simple gameplan. I've seen more 7-step drops by Jimmy G in this game than all of his others put together. To me, that's a design to put spaces between him and the Rams as much and as quickly as possible.
  • Feast or Famine?: The defensive line has another ripe opportunity to feast this weekend, but will McVay neutralize them? McVay is light years ahead of Kitchens and won't put his team in bad situations like Kitchens did to the Browns (ex. TE 1-on-1 against Bosa). If the Niners d-line can penetrate, they can make Goff uncomfortable and force him into bad decisions. I think we'll see a few more sacks and a pick or two this weekend. They feasted all game. The defensive line sacked Goff on key downs, plugged up the running game on key 3rd and 4th downs for masterful stops, and prevented Goff from seeing much at all.
  • Who Will Step Up?: Can any of our WR's break free and show out this weekend? We NEED Jimmy G to play like he did against the Bengals, but we also really need Pettis and Samuel to hang on to the ball and make big plays. Pettis stepped up to the plate this week and turned in his best performance of the season (outside of the game-winning TD catch against the Steelers). Run game wasn't there yesterday but Jimmy G made some big-time throws to keep the offense moving.
  • Special teams: Can anyone snap a ball accurately to a holder? Of all of the issues in the NFL, this has to be one of the dumbest to have. 3 missed FG's against the Rams will kill the Niners this weekend. Can't have it. Gould is struggling and I think he's in his own head now. I get the impression that he doesn't trust his snapper or holder right now. This needs to be addressed immediately before it costs the 49ers a win. He didn't want to be here in the first place and I'm wondering if that's factoring in at all.
  • Youngsters in the Spotlight: What will Skule and Mosely look like this weekend? Skule played well enough to not get noticed against the Browns and Mosely was targeted only twice. The Rams will almost assuredly target Mosely early and often. To me, this will be a huge test for him. I image he will be on Cooks most of the game due to his athleticism. Can Skule hold up against the EDGE defenders of the Rams? I would love to Skule build off his good game against the Browns and hold his own against the Rams. Brunskill struggled a little, but Skule and Mosely played pretty well. The 49ers are building quality depth in the right places right now.

These are my points from before the game and my reaction post-game.

Some additional points not covered in my older post:

• Arik Armstead is turning into an elite D-lineman. I can't call him a DT because he's getting pressure from the edge as well. He's making smart plays, but he's also bull-rushing his way through guys. I'm really enjoying his ascension this season.
  • This defense is making QB's look like poop on a weekly basis. This is for real and they have a legit chance of being the #1 or #2 defense in all of football. HUGE credit to Saleh. He's really made me do a 180 on my impression of him. I love his fire on the sidelines. I think players are responding to it really well.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Trying to find footage of the coleman drop. What happened?

According to PFF, Dee Ford has 10 pressures the last two games, Frank Clark has 13 on the entire season. KC fans probably ticked Frank Clark has been essentially a waste of money up to this point. 

If you want to hear their recap of the 49ers game, go to the 1:08:00 mark. Steve's analysis of how Solly got his sack was interesting. 

Edited by PapaShogun

38 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The ball hit him in the hands and bounced off. He did over stride a bit and looked a bit awkward, but regardless, it hit him in the hands and he needed to catch it.

The entire sequence from Coleman was just weird and awkward lol. Have no idea how he got himself so turned around. Can laugh about it a little bit now after the win (because it was funny), but yeah, he needs to catch that.