Was it a mistake to trade Kevin Zeitler?

cortes02

I find it hard to believe that one player can have a major impact on an entire offensive line unless they are a Tackle, but was it a mistake to trade OG Kevin Zeitler?  If I'm not mistaken and please correct me if I'm wrong but we have the same OL as last year minus Zeitler yet the line is playing significantly worse then last year when Baker was barely sacked or touched.  Is it a continuity thing? Was Zeitler making the protection calls for the line? Was Zeitler so good that he made up for teammates deficiencies?

On top of this, in my opinion, Olivier Vernon has been a disappointment to this point and hasn't had anywhere near the impact that I believe many of us expected.  With Garrett across from him getting constantly double teamed, I expected Vernon to have a significant impact but he currently just has 1 sack and 1 tackle for loss.  A less expensive player can put up stats like this.

Again, I find it hard to believe that the loss of Zeitler (an OG) could effect the OL as a whole so dramatically but the results on the field are staggering.   This is probably an unfair comparison but Patrick Mahomes has been playing with Cam Erving on his line for a few weeks now and he is still putting up great #'s (minus his last game ofcourse) and this is with CAM ERVING "Mr. Swinging door" with the Browns on his line.  I just don't know what to think when it comes to our OL so I wanted to bring this up for everyone to chime in.

Was the Zeitler trade a mistake?

Peace!!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes, but so was relying on Hubbard/Robinson at the OT spots and drafting Corbett in 2018 with essentially a first round pick. Right now, there's plenty of blame to go around.

Agreed, Kush hasnt been horrible. He has been pretty decent especially with the run. The problem was relying on Hubbard/Robinson to repeat their 2018 performance and having every edge defender in the league look like Lawrence Taylor.

I also believe this team could use a Fullback in this offense if nothing more to pick up more blitzers and help leaks in the OL. Just as a heads up I will be pounding the table for the best FB in the draft next year in the 4th round lol

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Erving basically lost the Chiefs the game. Got Mahomes injured and brought the whole offense down with his play. 

I don't believe any of our players are as bad as Erving. 

The difference between last season is the scheme. It was my concern with picking up OBJ. Both the QB and coaches focus on finding ways to get him the ball instead of finding ways to dissect the defense and win the game.

As a result we have long developing plays and a QB holding on to the ball. 

Find the weaknesses of the defense, scheme other guys open, get in a rhythm. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Honestly the guard play is kind of the least of our concern on the oline when both of our tackles get the doors blown off every play. Zeitler trade wasn't great in hindsight, but it's not a big deal either. 

Correct on all fronts. Our guards aren't terrible, but Zeitler makes this unit a heck of a lot better.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

No point in playing the hindsight game here, might as well make good with what we have. We are implying that Zeitler will cure all of the ills of the OL and that is not the case, how about we start questioning the methods of Campen?

Galaxy brain thought. Good stuff my man. 

• Like 2

Possibly.

Zeitler is certainly better than Kush, but Kush hasn't been horrible. It's mainly the OT spots where we are getting killed. I'm not sure how much better our OL would look with Zeitler here - it'd still likely be pretty bad simply due to our OT play.

• Like 1

With the roster structure having pro bowl ot's isn't an option financially.

Unless of course you want to get rid of landry, obj, or have no cb's. Mayfield and Garrett will eventually command the cap we have free.

One could get rid of the wr's seeing as we arent getting them the ball. On the flip side if we get rid of the long developing plays having great passblockers isnt as much a necessity. 

8 minutes ago, matt27j said:

With the roster structure having pro bowl ot's isn't an option financially.

Unless of course you want to get rid of landry, obj, or have no cb's. Mayfield and Garrett will eventually command the cap we have free.

One could get rid of the wr's seeing as we arent getting them the ball. On the flip side if we get rid of the long developing plays having great passblockers isnt as much a necessity. 

I don't know that any of us are arguing that, but I think that it would be nice to have "competent/capable" OL to protect our young and hopefully Franchise QB for years to come.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I don't know that any of us are arguing that, but I think that it would be nice to have "competent/capable" OL to protect our young and hopefully Franchise QB for years to come.

Good thing we can cut bait with Vernon after this year with only a 250k dead cap hit. He has been pretty average at best this year and I cant imagine this team wants to pay a guy 15m for the next 2 years for 5 sacks/yr and mediocre run support. He has 11 tackles and 1 sack in 5 games.......yikes

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 hours ago, cortes02 said:

If I'm not mistaken and please correct me if I'm wrong but we have the same OL as last year minus Zeitler yet the line is playing significantly worse then last year when Baker was barely sacked or touched. 

I think most of that is attributable to the O play-calling. Quick-hitting plays last year vs. slow-developing plays this year.

On top of this, in my opinion, Olivier Vernon has been a disappointment to this point and hasn't had anywhere near the impact that I believe many of us expected.

Vernon has been decent. It has been the interior DL that has not been, imho.

Was the Zeitler trade a mistake?

I do not think so. Kush actually hasn't been that bad.

It's mostly about the play-calling.