Was it a mistake to trade Kevin Zeitler?

cortes02

13 hours ago, matt27j said:

Erving basically lost the Chiefs the game. Got Mahomes injured and brought the whole offense down with his play. 

I don't believe any of our players are as bad as Erving. 

The difference between last season is the scheme. It was my concern with picking up OBJ. Both the QB and coaches focus on finding ways to get him the ball instead of finding ways to dissect the defense and win the game.

As a result we have long developing plays and a QB holding on to the ball. 

Find the weaknesses of the defense, scheme other guys open, get in a rhythm. 

Don’t blame the long Developing plays on OBJ, his best routes are crossing routes and slants. Yes he can go long as well but that’s not his bread and butter 

• Like 1

So trading for OBJ wasn’t a mistake, but trying to force him the ball and allowing him to goof our rhythm has been.  Treat him as just another dude and throw it to him when he’s open.  Eventually teams will figure out you can’t double him and he’ll get his.

Zeitler is solid as hell, but Kush isn’t why we’re losing.

Vernon needs to step it up, but it’s early.

Having a young tackle like Andre Dillard would be real nice right now though.

Bottom line is we’re losing because of Freddie, Baker and and Dorsey’s failure to adequately address the tackle position, not because of OBJ or missing Zeitler.

• Like 4

On 10/9/2019 at 1:33 PM, big poppa pump said:

We need to be honest with ourselves.  Olivier is looking about as non-existent as Ogbah.  I would rather have Zeitler back.

one of the bigger factors in the trade was getting out from underneath that contract Zeitler had. He was going to be making $10m the next two years after this season. With it coming to a $12m dead cap hit and around $14m I believe in dead cap hit.

Zeitler isnt solving the OL issues, maybe if the biggest issue was RG play, than maybe but the issue has been tackle play and even Bit and Tretter have looked bad at times. So it makes me thing playscheme and blocking schemes are a bigger issue. Our OL looked pretty bad last year until Freddie came in and changed everything up. I dont know why they arent going to those concepts from last year.

Also I am not ready to just call Oliver a complete failure. I want to say he has a better track record of producing in the 2nd halfs of the season compared to the 1st

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So trading for OBJ wasn’t a mistake, but trying to force him the ball and allowing him to goof our rhythm has been.  Treat him as just another dude and throw it to him when he’s open.  Eventually teams will figure out you can’t double him and he’ll get his.

Bottom line is we’re losing because of Freddie, Baker and and Dorsey’s failure to adequately address the tackle position, not because of OBJ or missing Zeitler.

Total agreement here. I think Baker is too focused on finding OBJ rather than taking what the defense gives him like last year. It will suck for OBJs production for a while. You are correct in that eventually teams will either have to stop doubling him, or allow us to dink and dunk them to death.

Baker needs to get back to what he was doing last year and also quit bailing from the pocket do easily. The Baltimore game looked like 2018 Baker and then last week went back to the rest of this season.

Frustrating for sure

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 6:03 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sorry but the days of having a Joe Thomas level tackle are gone his pay is going to obj and landry

As of today, not a great trade because Ogbah as a rotational guy dwarfs Vernon's stats on the season. That said, it's hindsight, sorta. Obviously I was a huge Ogbah homer so I wasn't thrilled at the time but I bought into Vernon being a decent upgrade and it all led to OBJ so it seemed genius. Right now it doesn't but I figure if OBJ remains healthy it will be a big enough benefit that even the biggest Ogbah homer (me) won't complain about the trades with the Giants.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:54 PM, buno67 said:

hopefully Garrett does too 

Garrett is the only player on the front that I have seen actually play like a good football player consistently. Richardson/Vernon have been extremely underwhelming and relying on them each week to be difference makers is turning out to be a bad decision

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Garrett is the only player on the front that I have seen actually play like a good football player consistently. Richardson/Vernon have been extremely underwhelming and relying on them each week to be difference makers is turning out to be a bad decision

Myles has been sack or nothing. Getting a bit disappointing. He’s been nothing against the run

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Myles has been sack or nothing. Getting a bit disappointing. He’s been nothing against the run

When it comes to running left outside, Left tackle, mid, Right tackle and Right outside.

They rank 29th on left outside runs. #1 on Left tackle runs, 22nd on mid runs, 15th on right tackle and 31st on Right outside.

So stats show you truly cant run at Garrett. 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

When it comes to running left outside, Left tackle, mid, Right tackle and Right outside.

They rank 29th on left outside runs. #1 on Left tackle runs, 22nd on mid runs, 15th on right tackle and 31st on Right outside.

So stats show you truly cant run at Garrett. 

How’s that?  He plays both sides?