GOTW | Week 2 | #2 Ohio State vs #5 Oklahoma

IDOG_det

Who wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

I wonder how far tOSU drops. Meanwhile Penn State's beating up on Akron, Pitt, and Georgia State (a program that has existed for only 7 years) and they'll be cruising at the top of the polls. It makes you wonder if teams pull back  their eagerness to schedule tough out of conference opponents.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Except that I kind of expected this to happen.  I picked my team, but I also stated I wouldn't be shocked if Ohio State lost by 2 TDs, which they did.  I wasn't high on my Buckeyes this season to begin with as I didn't trust Barrett on offense, I dunno I guess I'm bitter if you want me to be.  How's Francois though?  He looked good to start the game but then getting rattled and then the injury, I didn't see what the official call was on it.

Wut

1) You're bitter for the comment, clearly

2) WTF does Francois have to with me?

26 minutes ago, Phire said:

I wonder how far tOSU drops. Meanwhile Penn State's beating up on Akron, Pitt, and Georgia State (a program that has existed for only 7 years) and they'll be cruising at the top of the polls. It makes you wonder if teams pull back  their eagerness to schedule tough out of conference opponents.

I think last year showed you want to schedule tough games as it can only help. Penn State won their conference and beat Ohio State but Ohio State made it over them due to the Oklahoma win. If you schedule cupcakes, there is 0 room for error. You better go 12-0. 

If Oklahoma and Ohio State both win out, Ohio State will still make the playoffs  

11 minutes ago, PAW said:

I think last year showed you want to schedule tough games as it can only help. Penn State won their conference and beat Ohio State but Ohio State made it over them due to the Oklahoma win. If you schedule cupcakes, there is 0 room for error. You better go 12-0. 

If Oklahoma and Ohio State both win out, Ohio State will still make the playoffs  

I don't see how it can "only" help. For example, I don't see how it helps at all if you schedule a tough opponent and lose. At the end of the day, it's a loss. The Penn State example doesn't really work because they lost to Pitt and Michigan prior to the tOSU win. You're telling me an undefeated Penn State team still doesn't make it in over tOSU last year, because tOSU beat Oklahoma? I have to doubt that.

And how much room for error does a team like Ohio State have now? I don't see how they're better off than Penn State, whose out of conference opponents are a joke. Doesn't seem like the team that loses to a tough out of conference opponent has much room for error either. I don't see how a team like Ohio State would be worse off had they scheduled Pitt and blown them out of the water and sitting pretty at 2-0.

5 minutes ago, Phire said:

I don't see how it can "only" help. For example, I don't see how it helps at all if you schedule a tough opponent and lose. At the end of the day, it's a loss. The Penn State example doesn't really work because they lost to Pitt and Michigan prior to the tOSU win. You're telling me an undefeated Penn State team still doesn't make it in over tOSU last year, because tOSU beat Oklahoma? I have to doubt that.

And how much room for error does a team like Ohio State have now? I don't see how they're better off than Penn State, whose out of conference opponents are a joke. Doesn't seem like the team that loses to a tough out of conference opponent has much room for error either. I don't see how a team like Ohio State would be worse off had they scheduled Pitt and blown them out of the water and sitting pretty at 2-0.

Ohio State has no wiggle room now (barring a crazy year with a bunch of 2 loss conference champs).  But that's my point-there is no difference between scheduling a bunch of cupcakes and losing a nonconference game against an elite, you still have to go undefeated in conference (or hope there is a 2 loss conference champ) to make the playoffs.

If they blew out Pitt, I think they still would need to go undefeated this year due to how bad the B10 looks.  Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State all look worse than last year. And the B10 has not represented itself well in the playoffs the last two seasons.  If Penn State loses a game, I think they are done as well unless other conferences have their champ lose multiple times or the B10 starts looking better. 

I never said losing the game helps you, I just don't think losing it hurts in comparison to a team who doesn't schedule anyone.  Remember how many people were worried about Washington last year due to their OOC schedule? They got very lucky Penn State lost twice or they would have missed the playoffs even going 11-1.

17 minutes ago, Phire said:

Ohio State's path to the playoffs is pretty straight-forward, win out and they're in contention.  Another loss effectively ends it for them, we saw it last year with Oklahoma.  Two losses pretty much kills any team unless you have absolute chaos.  Winning a conference championship is pretty much a requirement.

5 minutes ago, PAW said:

Ohio State has no wiggle room now (barring a crazy year with a bunch of 2 loss conference champs).  But that's my point-there is no difference between scheduling a bunch of cupcakes and losing a nonconference game against an elite, you still have to go undefeated in conference (or hope there is a 2 loss conference champ) to make the playoffs.

Yes and no.  IF you have two conference champs, one loss to a top 5 team and the other beat a bunch of cupcake teams.  The team that had the "better" loss is going to more likely get the nod.

I don't really care about the celebrating. They were the better team and earned it tonight. 

As far as the SOS, I'm all for a tough OOC game every year: Makes off-season and these weeks more exciting. Plus, it can either add to a team's resume or reveal that a team is not 'all that' to begin with. I see no problem with it. Even if other teams schedule cupcakes and get by. I'd rather that OSU's problems be exposed anyhow than skate by and have them revealed later.

9 hours ago, Phire said:

Last years proves other wise. You schedule that tough OOC game and win, it allows you to have a potential slip up. If you want to schedule a cup cake type schedule. Then it means you have to win out the season.

Archived