Does Nick Foles Get His Job Back?

bigbadbuff

Minshew could be the QBOTF, Foles was always just a stop gap/win now QB. Don't see how they could hand the reigns back to Foles. Poor guy, at least he's getting paid. 

Unless spotrac is wrong, he is pretty much untradeable until 2021 when the dead money would only be $12.5M. 

edit: Unless part of that $45M GTD can be traded, and only the $25M signing bonus would be wasted (which made up almost all of his 2019 salary)?

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Minshew could be the QBOTF, Foles was always just a stop gap/win now QB. Don't see how they could hand the reigns back to Foles. Poor guy, at least he's getting paid. 

Unless spotrac is wrong, he is pretty much untradeable until 2021 when the dead money would only be $12.5M. 

edit: Unless part of that $45M GTD can be traded, and only the $25M signing bonus would be wasted (which made up almost all of his 2019 salary)?

over the ap has it as pretty reasonable trade next year., he could garner at least a 2nd. 

29 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

over the ap has it as pretty reasonable trade next year., he could garner at least a 2nd. 

Yeah I am thinking they're only on the hook for that $25M signing bonus. The cap hit was just $12M this year, so if they trade him I figure the rest of the bonus just goes against the 2020 cap, and $13M isn't all that bad a hit if you have the cap space and are getting a decent return. I am curious what the contract would like for a team trading for him and when could they feasibly cut him?

Just now, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yeah I am thinking they're only on the hook for that $25M signing bonus. The cap hit was just $12M this year, so if they trade him I figure the rest of the bonus just goes against the 2020 cap, and $13M isn't all that bad a hit if you have the cap space and are getting a decent return. I am curious what the contract would like for a team trading for him and when could they feasibly cut him?

I think they would have him without any guarantees. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

If they trade him in the offseason, it means that the remaining prorated signing bonus counts against the cap next year. That's 6.25m*3 = 18.75m in dead space to trade him. They would not have to pay his base salary for that season, which is 15 million. If they keep him they have to pay him the 15 million in base salary, then have 6.25m count against the cap for his prorated signing bonus.

So his total cap hit next season will be roughly 22m (counting roster bonus etc) if they keep him. If they trade him, it would be 18.75m against the cap. So they would save roughly 3m by trading him. 

His contract for the next team would be 15m in 2020. 20m in 2021 and 20m in 2022 - basically just his base salary, which is NOT guaranteed. The team that trades for him would be able to cut him at any point with no dead cap. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/nick-foles-9898/ (note that he has a 5m roster bonus in 2021, which again, is not guaranteed) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’ve seen the guy play every down. He’s a good QB...and no Nick Foles wouldn’t have been better. Maybe the league catches up to him...but until then you have to go Minshew. 

Never said Gardner wasn't  good but how do you know Foles wouldn't of been just as successful? Based off what? His 2nd Drive as a Jag resulting in a 35 yd TD pass? Curious?

Please don't pretend or act like Minshew (a Rookie) knows the playbook and or can read NFL defenses better then Nick Foles. There's no reason to think the Jags offense would of struggled under Foles instead. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Never said Gardner wasn't  good but how do you know Foles wouldn't of been just as successful? Based off what? His 2nd Drive as a Jag resulting in a 35 yd TD pass? Curious?

Please don't pretend or act like Minshew (a Rookie) knows the playbook and or can read NFL defenses better then Nick Foles. There's no reason to think the Jags offense would of struggled under Foles instead. 

Foles would have been sacked 25 + times by now if he played in every game. Minshew’s ability to run is huge behind our O-Line.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Foles would have been sacked 25 + times by now if he played in every game. Minshew’s ability to run is huge behind our O-Line.

Did you watch the season opener in 2014 against your Jags?

Foles was sacked 5 times in 32 drop backs in the first half vs Jacskonville and then he made an adjustment behind that bad line at halftime.

• He was sacked 4 times in the next 288 drop backs after he realized the line could not keep him upright.

Foles has a career sack rate of 5.6%. Minshew is at 6.8% so far and is a fumble machine. (7 fumbles in 5 games)

Foles rate is 32nd lowest all-time and he's even lower at 4.8% since leaving the Slappy Louis Rams.

Telling us that Foles would get sacked a bunch is pretty funny.

Love Minshew all you want but if you think avoiding sacks is just about foot speed then you have must have never watched Manning, Marino, Brees, or Brady play.

Learning to avoid sacks is one of the biggest differences between young QBs and veterans.

• Lamar Jackson has an 8.5% sack rate
  • Kyler Murray has a 9.5% rate
  • They are faster than Minshew
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Curious to know. Do people think it's unlikely that Foles would be putting up similar numbers? Doing the same things? While I give  all the Props in the world to a Rookie QB far exceeding expectations thus far. Maybe this is the results of a properly ran Flip offense when your QB isn't  named Kirk Cousins?

Its Minshews job while playing at this level. If that diminishes and losses start to follow so will his Job security once Foles is deemed healthy.

Given how leaky our OL has been? No, I don't think Foles gives us the improvisational stuff that Gardner does.  Unless were missing stuff that we don't see (missed reads, wrong checks,  etc), Minshew gives this team a better fighting chance

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Did you watch the season opener in 2014 against your Jags?

Foles was sacked 5 times in 32 drop backs in the first half vs Jacskonville and then he made an adjustment behind that bad line at halftime.

• He was sacked 4 times in the next 288 drop backs after he realized the line could not keep him upright.

Foles has a career sack rate of 5.6%. Minshew is at 6.8% so far and is a fumble machine. (7 fumbles in 5 games)

Foles rate is 32nd lowest all-time and he's even lower at 4.8% since leaving the Slappy Louis Rams.

Telling us that Foles would get sacked a bunch is pretty funny.

Love Minshew all you want but if you think avoiding sacks is just about foot speed then you have must have never watched Manning, Marino, Brees, or Brady play.

Learning to avoid sacks is one of the biggest differences between young QBs and veterans.

• Lamar Jackson has an 8.5% sack rate
  • Kyler Murray has a 9.5% rate
  • They are faster than Minshew

You have no idea how bad this line is. Even Brady would be getting pummeled here

I wanted so badly for Foles to work out, seemed like a genuine person and after what his family went through in the offseason I think most wished him well but considering he has no track record with the team, I think we have no choice but to stick with GM if he keeps playing the way he is. Right now we're losing games because of poor defense and GM fumbling. 

11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Gardner almost had a perfect QB rating on the games that he won. He put the team on his back and won the game for them. It's incredibly difficult to do better than exceptional. 

Nick Foles is a solid QB...but he isn't a franchise QB. He is a career back-up with ups and downs, and he has gotten hot at the right times. He's essentially a poor man's Eli Manning. He's a stopgap type of QB, not someone you who you bench a guy who looks like he could be a franchise QB over. 

Let's imagine that Nick Foles was the starting QB for the New York Giants. He fractures his clavicle the first week of the season and his out for 9 or so weeks. Daniel Jones comes in and plays very well. The team unites and rallies around him, and he has the look of a franchise QB...someone who may have their ups and downs, but you can see that he's the future of the franchise. Do you go back to Nick Foles when he's eligible to come back from IR? I'm going to predict that almost everyone would say "no"...largely because he's a first round pick. Here's the thing...Gardner Minshew has been BETTER than Daniel Jones this season. People joke about him, pretend that this is some passing trend, but the guy has been BETTER than the guy who everyone says is the guy who's going to lead NY to the promise land. 

5 hours ago, Speedyg said:

You have no idea how bad this line is. Even Brady would be getting pummeled here

That's not true...

You act like OL is great across the league. Norwell and Cam in pass pro have been bad, but let's not act like this OL is some dumpster heap. Pretty sure Minshew got sacked once and hit like 2-3 times against the best pass rush in the NFL going into the game Sunday and we had 140-150 yards in the ground game.

You definitely have to move around in the pocket a bit with this OL but...