Does Nick Foles Get His Job Back?

bigbadbuff

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Mark Sanchez also performed well in the playoffs. Maybe you can go hire him off the street. Nick Foles had his great year in Philly under Chip. He then lost his job the next year to Mark Sanchez/Sam Bradford. He then was traded to the Rams. He lost his job on the Rams to Case Keenum. He went and spent time as a backup for KC and Philly. He had a great playoff run in Philly, but his overall regular season stats from 2016 to 2018 were middling. It would take a real dope to bench a promising rookie for a veteran who has spent his career losing starting jobs and putting up middling or worse play, aside from a few stretches of brilliance. Do better.

You brought 6 games from Mark Sanchez as your defense to neutralize the entire career of Nick Foles? 

• I'd give it to you if you were trying to ridicule Goff by comparing his playoffs to Sanchez.
    • If that playoff Sanchez led the Rams in the last Super Bowl they would have won the game.

The only 2 idiots who did not believe in Foles (Kelly and Fisher) are out of the league now on merit.

• Foles is 11-2 in high pressure games. This is inspiring and greatness.
    • You are 0 for all tries in your weaksauce attempts to minimize him.
  • He is a Super Bowl MVP. This is greatness.
  • He has the 3rd highest passer rating season of all time. This is greatness.
  • He beat the best D in the league in the playoffs 2 years in a row. This is greatness.
  • He's had 3 different displays in the Hall of Fame... again with the inspiration and the greatness.

He's not even Hall of Very Good yet for his career because he has not played enough, but he is inspiring and his career is full of moments of true greatness.

Good Day, Sir!

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

On 10/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think there is little if any chance that Minshew gets benched until he starts playing like someone that needs to get benched. He has been really good so far. These things happen, a lot, in this league and better QB's, way better QB's, than Nick Foles have lost their starting jobs to injury.

No, they actually don't. That's why fans of these prospective teams have their heads on straight. 

On 10/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, Art_Vandalay said:

Fitzmagic, Linsanity, Minshew Mania....

Like dating a chick you think is really cool until she starts leaving floaters in the toilet.

giphy.gif

On 10/9/2019 at 5:28 PM, Elky said:

Matt Flynn lost his job because he sucked.

Matt Flynn lost his job because Russell Wilson will end up in the Hall of Fame. 

On 10/9/2019 at 6:15 PM, SkippyX said:

The Bears are the only team that makes sense at the deadline.

Maybe, but I think the Trubisky injury rules that out completely. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

You brought 6 games from Mark Sanchez as your defense to neutralize the entire career of Nick Foles? 

• I'd give it to you if you were trying to ridicule Goff by comparing his playoffs to Sanchez.
    • If that playoff Sanchez led the Rams in the last Super Bowl they would have won the game.

LOL. Feel free to sign Sanchez, then. Because Goff got us further last year than the Eagles got.

The only 2 idiots who did not believe in Foles (Kelly and Fisher) are out of the league now on merit.

Doug Pederson and Andy Reid are still in the league. Why isn't Foles a starter in Philly or KC?

Foles is 11-2 in high pressure games. This is inspiring and greatness.
You are 0 for all tries in your weaksauce attempts to minimize him.
He is a Super Bowl MVP. This is greatness.
He has the 3rd highest passer rating season of all time. This is greatness.
He beat the best D in the league in the playoffs 2 years in a row. This is greatness.
He's had 3 different displays in the Hall of Fame... again with the inspiration and the greatness.
He's not even Hall of Very Good yet for his career because he has not played enough, but he is inspiring and his career is full of moments of true greatness.

Good Day, Sir!

Feel free to be inspired by a guy who only shows up in the playoffs. I want a guy who can get me there. Joe Flacco is a Super Bowl MVP. Josh McCown has one of the greatest passer rating seasons of all time. There's nothing inspiring about the guy as a starting QB. He's Joe Flacco with higher peaks. The Jaguars have an opportunity to get out of QB purgatory. Only a fool would advocate for them to stay in it. But hey, if they make the playoffs, maybe they'll choose to start Foles then.

Your argument boils down to 10 starts in 2013 and 3 starts in 2017. It's weak sauce. Between those stretches, Foles was a backup or on the way to losing his starting job. Success in the NFL hinges on consistency from the QB position. That's what separates a guy with moments, like Foles, from a franchise QB with a legacy. Jaguars have a duty to their fans to see if Minshew is a franchise QB. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Mark Sanchez also performed well in the playoffs. Maybe you can go hire him off the street. Nick Foles had his great year in Philly under Chip. He then lost his job the next year to Mark Sanchez/Sam Bradford. He then was traded to the Rams. He lost his job on the Rams to Case Keenum. He went and spent time as a backup for KC and Philly. He had a great playoff run in Philly, but his overall regular season stats from 2016 to 2018 were middling. It would take a real dope to bench a promising rookie for a veteran who has spent his career losing starting jobs and putting up middling or worse play, aside from a few stretches of brilliance. Do better.

They can bench Minshew and go back him later. Its not like its a final decision where if they go with foles they have to cut Minshew. Minshew isn't going anywhere. 

Foles is a veteran and Minshew has played really well, but his game needs some refinement. He is starting to develop some bad habits. the fumbles are a problem. The guy is a freaking gamer though.

I think the experience he has gained will be good for him. I also think taking a step back for some games and seeing how foles carries himself will be to his benefit. There is zero downside to Minshew's long term development by going back to the veteran making 20+m a year. Its not like the guys confidence will get shattered or something. 

Also, lets not compare Foles to mark sanchez. Sanchez was always limited and won playoff games on the back of an elite defense. Foles certainly hasn't always been a good QB in his career, but some guys take longer to figure it out than others, and maybe the lightbulb went on in his second stint in philly. He was playing for his career. Sometimes, that's the spark a guy needs.

Just my thoughts. Im not following the jags as closely as you are, and their entire fanbase doesn't seem to want Minshewmania to end. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

They can bench Minshew and go back him later. Its not like its a final decision where if they go with foles they have to cut Minshew. Minshew isn't going anywhere. 

Foles is a veteran and Minshew has played really well, but his game needs some refinement. He is starting to develop some bad habits. the fumbles are a problem. The guy is a freaking gamer though.

I think the experience he has gained will be good for him. I also think taking a step back for some games and seeing how foles carries himself will be to his benefit. There is zero downside to Minshew's long term development by going back to the veteran making 20+m a year. Its not like the guys confidence will get shattered or something. 

Also, lets not compare Foles to mark sanchez. Sanchez was always limited and won playoff games on the back of an elite defense. Foles certainly hasn't always been a good QB in his career, but some guys take longer to figure it out than others, and maybe the lightbulb went on in his second stint in philly. He was playing for his career. Sometimes, that's the spark a guy needs.

Just my thoughts. Im not following the jags as closely as you are, and their entire fanbase doesn't seem to want Minshewmania to end. 

They can bench Foles and go back to him later. Why would you bench your young QB? Minshew is the future if he's got the goods. Foles isn't the future. If Minshew has the goods, you try to trade Foles. Some of y'all are as irrational as it gets. The Jaguars need to know what they have in Minshew. Because Foles is a stop-gap starter until they find something long term.

If Minshew is the long-term starter, you don't put him back on the bench. What you're advocating is akin to benching Tom Brady in 2001 for Drew Bledsoe when he got healthy. Minshew almost certainly isn't Brady, but you still don't bench a guy playing like he is at 23 years old. If you do that, you better have Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc. returning from injury, not a guy who has spent most of his career as a backup.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

They can bench Foles and go back to him later. Why would you bench your young QB? Minshew is the future if he's got the goods. Foles isn't the future. If Minshew has the goods, you try to trade Foles. Some of y'all are as irrational as it gets. The Jaguars need to know what they have in Minshew. Because Foles is a stop-gap starter until they find something long term.

Teams rarely trade free agent signees. Could happen, but who knows. 

Also--why are you convinced Foles wouldn't be the future? He's not that old. Might be a better move to trade Minshew for a bunch of picks, try Foles--but draft a backup option. 

It'll be really interesting to see how things go. One of the best NFL stories in ages. 

58 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Teams rarely trade free agent signees. Could happen, but who knows. 

Also--why are you convinced Foles wouldn't be the future? He's not that old. Might be a better move to trade Minshew for a bunch of picks, try Foles--but draft a backup option. 

It'll be really interesting to see how things go. One of the best NFL stories in ages. 

Foles is 30 years old and has struggled throughout his career to stay healthy. He's not the future. And why would they trade the cost-controlled 23 year old QB? How does that make sense?

36 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Foles is 30 years old and has struggled throughout his career to stay healthy. He's not the future. And why would they trade the cost-controlled 23 year old QB? How does that make sense?

*A cost controlled 23 year old that has played very well with fantastic tape (as in play that has been anything but flukey) who has solely kept us in games/won games at times.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

*A cost controlled 23 year old that has played very well with fantastic tape (as in play that has been anything but flukey) who has solely kept us in games/won games at times.

That's the conundrum. How close are you? Close enough to keep Foles? If you end up with a great season from Minshew...what is he then worth?  How does that compare to what Foles is worth? If you trade Minshew, who can you then draft to sort of replace him? Or, does he end up being a guy you simply can't trade?

As I said, this will be a fun story to watch unfold. 

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's the conundrum. How close are you? Close enough to keep Foles? If you end up with a great season from Minshew...what is he then worth?  How does that compare to what Foles is worth? If you trade Minshew, who can you then draft to sort of replace him? Or, does he end up being a guy you simply can't trade?

As I said, this will be a fun story to watch unfold. 

Our defense has been garbage. There's talent...but there's no reason to "go for it" due to the team as a whole.

Minshew is the guy long term imo. What he's shown has been behind impressive. Not many young QBs have I seen his pocket presence, field vision, and overall composure (not letting any moment be too big or rookie jitters). 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:05 PM, N4L said:

I think you have to go back to foles when he is ready. You can always go back to minshew if you feel like he's a better player, but if you bench a healthy foles it's harder to put him in down road because you've basically committed to some growing pains with minshew. 

If the money was the same, it would be more of a discussion, but with what they are paying foles, they have to put him back out there. 

I think it could actually be a good thing for minshew as well. Give him some time to focus on some smaller details and see how/what foles does in certain situations. Now that he has some experience, he should be able to take more away from watching the vet. 

i think if Minshew is playing as hes been playing(4 offensive rookie of the weeks in 5 games and 3 consecutive games) i think u gotta keep playing him. with minshew back there there seems to be some magic for the offense especially in hurry up offense.  its also if u bench a guy whos playing well for a guy whos been an average qb or so for his career i think that sends a negative message to the lockroom in the sense if your being paid your gonna play if your not being paid your not gonna play. 

with minshew behind center the only problem i have seen from him is his tendency to fumble the ball and thats the only really negative thing ive seen. 

Can people stop referring to Nick Fokes as Average when they have absolutely no idea what he would be in a Defilippo offense. 

What he did as a Ram or Chief has nothing what so ever to do with what he does in a this type of offense. He's the same QB they went after and paid handsomely mind you to be their QB "for this offense ".

Now I've made my feeling clear that Minshew should keep his job if he continues to play at this level but those making excuses as if they know Foles would be average or a downgrade need to stop. You no more know that then the Assumption all of you are making Minshew continues this run. Just saying.

Time and the next few weeks will decide that for everyone. including both QB!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can people stop referring to Nick Fokes as Average when they have absolutely no idea what he would be in a Defilippo offense. 

What he did as a Ram or Chief has nothing what so ever to do with what he does in a this type of offense. He's the same QB they went after and paid handsomely mind you to be their QB "for this offense ".

Now I've made my feeling clear that Minshew should keep his job if he continues to play at this level but those making excuses as if they know Foles would be average or a downgrade need to stop. You no more know that then the Assumption all of you are making Minshew continues this run. Just saying.

Time and the next few weeks will decide that for everyone. including both QB!

If foles is considered above average then what minshew is doing as a 6th round rookie is Hall of fame worthy. 

4/5 weeks rookie of the week. 1/1 rookie of the month. Has Minshew's play not deserves to start even when foles comes back?

Per game 67 completion % 255 yards 1.8tds .2ints. 2.4 sacks 3.8 rush attempts 24.8 rush yards 1.4 fumbles.

That is not benching worthy to me. 

Its so strange to have people defend our QB who aren't Jaguars fans

I feel like the team and the players have bought in to Minshew and while they are aware of what Foles did in the SB and what he did last season they haven't seen it for themselves in their own locker room so while the legend is there until they are engulfed in it themselves they will ride with GM