Quarter-mark 2020 Mock: A recap, FA, and Draft

jetskid007

Should I do one of these each quarter of the season?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do one of these each quarter of the season?

• Yes
    • No

2019 Schedule

vs BUF - L 

vs CLE - L 

at NE - L 

BYE 

at PHI - L

Coaching: the Ghost of Todd Bowles is still here 

• Honestly, I feel like I'm watching his Jets teams. The defense is playing solid, but still letting up the occasional big play, and the offensive play-calling has been horrible. Gase's inability to adjust is mind-boggling. I get it, he's being dealt half a hand right now, but seriously... you keep preaching how we need to avoid 2nd/3rd and longs but you keep calling the same predictable plays. The QB is a real issue, and I get that you can't open up the playbook as much with Darnold out, but need to be more creative. I'm hoping that the offense blossoms with Darnold because if it doesn't, this will turn out to be a major problem. 

Player Acquisitions: very Maccagnan-like

• Free Agency: I don't know who really deserves credit here because I'm sure Gase/Williams had a lot of say in some of the acquisitions (we know Gase definitely did), but overall it looks pretty good. Bell has been a stud, Mosley was a stud before injury, Crowder will shine when Sam gets back, and Poole/Hewitt have been pleasant surprises. Everything else is meh, and certain decisions look really bad (Roberts contract, Anderson contract, Kalil contract)

• Trades: Kelechi Osemele has been disappointing, but Alex Lewis was the lone bright-spot yesterday. Personally, I think Lewis should be starting (Osemele should take over for Winters, who has been atrocious). Thomas still has something left despite a sub-par game yesterday, but I think he'll end the season on a higher note. Again, hard to evaluate with a practice squad QB playing games. 

• Draft: Part of what doomed Maccagnan as a GM was his inability to address needs and to hit on players outside of the spotlight; his 1st round picks have had varying degrees of success, and he was solid overall in free agency - but had too many glaring blunders. Obviously, the biggest one this offseason was Polite, who didn't even make the team. It's too early to tell with Quinnen, but the talent is there. The DL has under-performed as a whole, but he's shown the most "flash" plays in his limited amount of snaps, even though they haven't registered on the stat sheet. Edoga was put in a tough situation yesterday, but I'm intrigued to see how he develops going forward, and Blake Cashman has been a surprise. Wesco has been a total disappointment; his blocking has not looked good by any means. 

REST OF THE SEASON PREDICTIONS 

vs DAL - L

vs NE - W

at JAX - L

at MIA - W

vs NYG - L

at WAS - W

vs OAK - L

at CIN - L

vs MIA - W

at BAL - L

vs PIT - W

at BUF - W

Final Record: 6-10

We always knew the first quarter of the season was going to be difficult, but no one could have expected it would go down the way it did. As much as I’d like to say the Jets will consider Gase as a one-and-done, I doubt it will happen. I think Sam will play at a high level going forward, even if it’s too late. The team will enter the offseason pushing the narrative that the team ended grew significantly in 2019, facing adversity early in the season but rallying to go 6-6 in the final three-quarters of the season, capping it off with a 3-1 final quarter of the season. Either way, that’s just noise: the Jets were not good enough to be a legitimate contender this year, and have a lot of work to do this offseason. 

NYJ FAs

WR Robby Anderson – 4 years, $45 million  

LB Jordan Jenkins – 3 years, $27 million 

LB Neville Hewitt  – 3 years, $12 million

CB Brian Poole – 3 years, $12 million 

WR Demaryius Thomas – 2 years, $7 million

S Rontez Miles – 2 years, $5.25 million 

DL Steve McLendon – 1 year, $2.0 million

RB Ty Montgomery – 1 year, $1.5 million

TE Ryan Griffin – 1 year, $1.5 million

QB Trevor Siemian – 1 year, $1.5 million 

P Lachlan Edwards – 1 year, $1.5 million 

OL Tom Compton – 1 year, $1.5 million 

DE Leonard Williams 

LT Kelvin Beachum

RT Brandon Shell

C Ryan Kalil

LB Brandon Copeland

OT Brent Qvale

RB Bilal Powell

TE Daniel Brown

S Matthias Farley

Extension

SS Jamal Adams – 6 year, $90 million

Released

CB Trumaine Johnson ($11m savings) June-1 Cut

LG Kelechi Osemele (11.7m savings) 

RG Brian Winters ($7.5m savings)

LB Avery Williamson ($6.5m savings) 

CB Daryl Roberts ($6m savings)

Projected Salary Cap: $80 million under

Recap: The Jets are looking to totally rebuild their OL and CB units, and their moves prior to free agency indicate that. All 5 opening day starters on the OL  will not be re-signed entering the new league year, and both perimeter starting corners will also see their contracts terminated. I think that Robby Anderson is going to get better as he comes more versed in the offense with Sam Darnold, and he’ll receive a contract similar to what Tyrell Williams received from the Raiders in 2019 - essentially a one year deal with 3 team options. Also, keep in mind that the Eagles offered the Jets a 4th round pick for Robby in 2018, so clearly Joe Douglas saw things he liked. Also, Rex Hogan - Jets new Assistant GM - was the Director of College Scouting when the Jets found Anderson and has been credited with his discovery. I also think the Jets will keep their receiving core together for the most part - to the ire of many Jets fans. Again, I believe this group will improve as the season goes on, especially once Sam is back. I see them rewarding two guys who entered the season as “backups” but shined in their roles: CB Brian Poole and LB Neville Hewitt. 

Player Movement

TRADE: New York Jets send their 2nd round pick (42) and a 4th round pick (___) to the Chicago Bears for their 2nd round pick (53 via OAK), 5th round pick (164 via PHI) and EDGE Leonard Floyd. 

Image result for leonard floyd

EXTENSION: New York Jets sign EDGE Leonard Floyd to a 4 year, $60 million extension.

Leonard Floyd is a prime candidate to be traded next season as he will be seeking a new contract given his age and production. Considering his projected salary on the 5th year option, their tight cap situation, draft selections, and the amount of expiring contracts, I can see Ryan Pace and his former protégé working out a deal. The going rate for players who are about to cash-in has become a 2nd-to-3rd round pick, unless of course they are a superstar talent, hence why I feel two 3rd’s and Luvu will get the deal done. The Jets hope he can breakout as a pass rusher when given more opportunities to rush in Gregg Williams’ system, like his Georgia teammate (and now Jets teammate) Jordan Jenkins did in 2019.

TRADE: New York Jets send their 5th round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for OL Billy Price.  

Image result for billy price

Billy Price has had a rough start to his career and it appears the Bengals are ready to move on from the former 1st round pick. Much like Laken Tomlinson, who the Lions traded to the 49ers, he’ll likely net a 5th round pick in return. The Jets will allow him to compete at LG/C in hopes that he can win a starting job, otherwise, he’ll be competing for backup duties. 

TRADE: New York Jets send DL Henry Anderson to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their 6th round pick. 

Who knew that one year later, the Jets would be moving on from both Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson. The Jets are looking to totally rebuild their defensive line, with Quinnen Williams, Kyle Phillips, Folorunso Fatukasi, Bronson Kaufusi, John Franklin-Myers, Nathan Shephard, and their leader old-man McLendon being the primary group heading into 2020. 

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former San Francisco 49ers DL Arik Armstead

Image result for arik armstead

Armstead is everything the Jets hoped Leonard Williams would be in Gregg Williams’ new defense: he’s a natural pass rusher who is effective both inside and out, but also wins in the run game. Leo never adjusted to becoming more of a 5/7 tech, and he wasn’t disruptive at all lining up at LDE (which he did on most 3rd downs), whereas Armstead thrived in those situations. Essentially the Jets are trading one young talented player for another who fits their system better, but I think people will be shocked at the numbers. 

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Detroit Lions OL Graham Glasgow 

Image result for graham glasgow

Joe Douglas’ mission since arriving here was to build the offensive and defensive lines, and he’ll make it a priority throughout his first full offseason as the Jets GM. The Jets went big-game hunting to start free agency, offering to make Glasglow one of the height paid interior linemen in the NFL. What’s most interesting: they don’t announce his position. Glasgow offers significant position flexibility as a C/LG/RG. He was elite at RG in 2019, but was one of the leagues top Cs in 2018 (moved to RG to accommodate Ragnow, who struggled at LG) and played well at LG the year before that. Bottom line: he’ll be an upgrade regardless which position he plays. 

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Philadelphia Eagles OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai

Image result for Halapoulivaati Vaitai

Joe Douglas brings in another familiar face in Vaitai, who has experience playing both RG and RT in Philadelphia. With Shell re-signed, “Big V” will primarily compete for the RG spot left vacant by Brian Winters. is the perfect insurance policy and adds quality depth. Depth at multiple positions. The Jets objective is clear: start the best 5. 

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Philadelphia Eagles DL Timmy Jernigan

Image result for Timmy Jernigan

The Jets have officially become “Philadelphia East”. Jernigan, who has crossed paths with Joe Douglas in both Baltimore and Philadelphia, is an impactful player who - like Darby - was unlucky with injuries during his time with the Eagles. That said, when he’s on the field he’s 80% the player Leo is at 20% the cost. He’ll be a good rotational player with the Jets with the ceiling of a pro-bowler if he can stay healthy. 

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Philadelphia Eagles CB Jalen Mills 

Image result for jalen mills

Douglas signs another player away from the Eagles to join him in New York. Mills, only 25, has battled some injuries of late but has displayed talent and production when healthy. The Jets are trending towards a full-blown competition at corner, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Mills wins a starting job in August.  

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Tennessee Titans WR Tajae Sharpe

Image result for tajae sharpe

Sharpe isn’t the big name that Jets fans were hoping for, but he’s a very reliable receiver who runs good routes, has good footwork, and tremendous football character. He’ll compete with Demaryius Thomas to be the “#3” WR behind Crowder and Anderson. 

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Atlanta Falcons OL Wes Schweitzer

Image result for Wes Schweitzer

The Jets nab another versatile off the market in Schweitzer, who has starting experience at LG, RG, and is the backup C. Only 26 years old, he will come in and compete for one of the interior OL spots.Unless the Jets have plans to convert Edoga to G, he’ll likely directly compete with Alex Lewis at LG and Big V at RG, but could also earn the starting C job if the team decides to play Glasgow at either of the guard spots. He will not be guaranteed a roster spot. 

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Baltimore Ravens CB Jimmy Smith  

Image result for jimmy smith ravens

I know a lot of Jets fans will want the Jets to shoot higher, but when tracking Joe Douglas’s stops as an executive, those organizations seem to be rather averse to signing cornerbacks to big money contracts, especially in free agency. Instead, I think he will work the draft and the trade market to build depth at the position, while adding a savvy veteran like Jimmy Smith, whom he has ties with dating back to his days with Baltimore.  

FREE AGENCY: New York Jets sign former Pittsburgh Steelers CB Artie Burns 

Image result for artie burns

The former 1st round pick/Steelers bust has had an up-and-down career thus far. He was benched last season and now serves as the teams 4th/5th corner. Still, I see Joe Douglas taking a calculated risk on the player given his age (24) and talent. In some ways, Burns has been unfairly treated because of his tendency to let up the big play or commit penalties in crucial moments, but reminds me somewhat of Antonio Cromartie. Like Cro, Burns has had his share of on-the-field and off-the-field issues, but a change of scenery can do him wonders.  

Free Agency Recap: I know that “connecting the dots” can seem like overkill, but hear me out: when JD arrived in Philadelphia, the team added a bunch of former Ravens/Bears that he crossed paths with: Chris Givens (2016), Alshon Jeffery (2017), Timmy Jernigan (2017), Haloti Ngata (2018), LaRoy Reynolds (2018), Kamar Aiken (2018), DeAndre Carter (2018), and Jordan Howard (2019). Now that he’s running his own show, I’m expecting him to take fliers on a heavy dose of players he’s familiar with. 

2020 NFL DRAFT

1(nyj)

2(nyj) traded to CHI 

2(chi) traded to NYJ via OAK 

3(nyj)

4(nyj) traded to CHI 

5(nyj) traded to CIN 

5(chi) traded to NYJ via PHI 

6(nyj)

6(tb) traded to NYJ 

6(kc) traded to IND

7(nyj) traded to BAL

Day 1

1(7) Tristan Wirfs, Offensive Tackle, Iowa

Image result for tristan wirfs

I believe Thomas will end up the first OL off the board, but the Jets will finally catch a break when Tristan Wirfs - arguably just as good of an offensive tackle prospect as any in this year’s draft - falls into their lap at 7. The expectation should be that Wirfs will start at LT with Edoga competing to start at RT, however, it is entirely possible the Jets opt to keep Wirfs at his college position (RT) and move Edoga to the left - but it all depends on who the team determines are the best 5 players come September.

Day 2

TRADE: the New York Jets send their 2nd round pick (53 from CHI via OAK) to the Baltimore Ravens for their 2nd round pick (56) and 5th round pick (172) 

2(56) Calvin Throckmorton, Offensive Line, Oregon

Image result for calvin throckmorton

When Douglas stated his primary mission was to rebuild the offensive line, he wasn’t joking. In total the Jets have added a total of 6 new offensive linemen. The unit will have 5 new starters in the season opener, which is unprecedented, but the added competition will bode well for the Jets, who lacked aggression upfront in 2019. Throckmorton joins offseason additions of iOL Glasgow, iOL Price, iOL/RT Vaitai, iOL Schweizer, and OT Wirfs - all of which have experience playing multiple positions. Throckman is the prototypical lineman this organization is looking for, tough, smart, versatile, and loves the game. Despite some of his physical limitations, he consistently ranks as a PFF darling, served as team captain the past two seasons, and has started at at least one game at four line spots (LT, C, RG, RT). He will likely come in competing at at all 5 positions in rookie minicamp and OTAs, with a focus narrowed down to 2 positions come training camp.  

3(73) Tyler Johnson, Wide Receiver, Minnesota

Image result for Tyler Johnson 2019 minnesota

The Jets had Devonta Smith in mind at 53, but he was scooped up by . Johnson is as polished as they come, but he may fall due to the depth of the class and his lack of physical gifts. Still, he’s somewhat of a Davante Adams-like prospect and has the natural ability to be a top-tier receiver for the foreseeable future.  

Day 3

5(164) Alex Highsmith, Defensive End, Charlotte 

5(172) Essang Bassey, Cornerback, Wake Forest 

6(180) Reggie Roberson, Wide Receiver, SMU

6(189) J.J. Taylor, Running Back, Arizona

Draft Recap: Joe Douglas's vision when taking the Jets job was to build around Sam Darnold, so you have to figure he'll feel good about what they accomplished when the dust settles. Adding 2 new receivers and 6 new lineman, without losing any major players, should tremendously help the offense. It will be fascinating to monitor the camp battle along the OL; it's extremely conceivable that the Jets will have 5 new starters along the line come week 1. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Can we just fast forward to this now please.  I might sob in pure joy if we could pull this off.

New OL, pass rusher, solid CB depth, new weapons for Sam.  Where do I sign?  Can only hope for something even close to this.

I agree. This would be absolutely wonderful.

• Like 1

I’m a fan of this offseason. I don’t have any real complaints.

My only concern is that it’s hard for me to see the Jets landing all these guys. Seems like every year, FAs ignore us. We’re a bad team this year; so, I still don’t see us as a destination for FA. 

But if this offseason happens, we may have something. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If I was knit picking... I guess I'd just disagree with our record. Cant see us getting 6 wins. So I'm not sure how or if that alters the draft for us for you. Might not at all.

This is a fair point. Looking at the top of the draft, probably doesn’t alter the draft much. We can grab one of the top 2 LTs and call it a day. 

Looking at the remaining games, there are 6-7 winnable games. 6 wins is the best case scenario as we are likely not going to win all those game. Likely 3-5 wins is likely.

I agree about the record with @Bobby816 and don’t see us winning against NE, Pitt and Buffalo. Maybe one but at most I think 5 wins.

After 3 and a half years I don’t think Floyd has shown enough to be  worth more than, at best, a 5th round pick. I’m definitely against extending him at 15m a year. I also don’t see any benefit to resigning DT. Maybe he’ll have a connection with Sam but at this point, he looks like an over the hill WR. I guess the other free agent signings are realistic but none are game changers

letting Leo and Anderson go could really hurt our DL. Maybe, if Q turns out to be the player he was for one year in college, we’ll be ok, but I’m skeptical.

I like the first two picks in the draft. Although, like Thomas, Wirfs is listed at 6’5” and could be officially under that size. I worry about arm length. If his is only 33” more than likely he’ll be a guard. There are a few recent LT with arms under 34” but Joe Thomas was 6’7”” and Penn and Peters were undrafted. 

personally, i would try to get more picks in the first couple of rounds. 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, Bobby816 said:

If I was knit picking... I guess I'd just disagree with our record. Cant see us getting 6 wins. So I'm not sure how or if that alters the draft for us for you. Might not at all.

I think it's important to understand the cards we've been dealt. Yes the offense has looked pitiful, but we're still a much better defense than given credit. Our corner situation is not ideal, but we force the 7th lowest QB rating in the league, opposing 1st down percentage is 32.2% (8th best in the league, and believe it or not have been very good against the run (only 87.5 YPG, which is 7th best). 

Sam isn't going to solve everything, but he's going to make our offense light-years better than it was. He's a tremendous talent, and while the offensive line is not good, he will make up for it - just like many young, talented mobile QBs have before him. 

While I don't think we will beat DAL, I think the Pats game is extremely winnable. Keep in mind how well Sam played to end last year, and also consider how the Pats offense has looked against bad teams. The point totals don't tell the whole story... from there, we have the easiest schedule in the league to finish the season. JAX, MIAx2, NYG, WAS, OAK, CIN, BAL, PIT, and BUF are all winnable games. I'm not saying we will win all of them, but it also wouldn't shock me if the Jets turn it around and end the season with an 8-8 or even 9-7 record even after starting 0-4. It's happened before for teams with less talent so it wouldn't shock me if it happens to us - especially if Sam is as good as I think he is. 

19 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I’m a fan of this offseason. I don’t have any real complaints.

My only concern is that it’s hard for me to see the Jets landing all these guys. Seems like every year, FAs ignore us. We’re a bad team this year; so, I still don’t see us as a destination for FA. 

But if this offseason happens, we may have something. 

FAs didn't ignore us last year; the only guy we didn't land that we legitimately went for was Anthony Barr, who agreed than backed out. The year before was Kirk Cousins (thank god). End of the day money talks and BS walks; players care if the team is willing to spend and has a QB. That's pretty much it. Furthermore, you have to remember that there is new management in town. One of Maccagnan's biggest criticisms was that he wasn't aggressive enough; he was diligent and very thorough, but many complained he was too indecisive - if the rumors are true, that won't be Joe Douglas. 

Also, I don't think I'm actually putting much starpower into this offseason. There are 3 top iOL with Glasgow likely the 3rd behind Scherff and Thuney, and same can be said for Armstead, who is not going to be back in SF unless he takes a major discount. The rest of the additions are far from premier free agents. In fact, most of them are backups with some starting experience.

As for Leonard Floyd: I see that trade going down either with us or another team. He's somewhat overrated, but rumors are that Anthony Barr was a Gregg Williams desire - so I'd have to think he would like Floyd that much more, and with Joe Douglas being heavily involved in scouting him, I feel like there is something there. Alternatively, CHI needs the space and if they're not going to resign him, might as well trade him. Billy Price is another trade that I feel will happen - whether its us or someone else. He doesn't fit that offense and needs a fresh start, just as Laken Tomlinson did. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think it's important to understand the cards we've been dealt. Yes the offense has looked pitiful, but we're still a much better defense than given credit. Our corner situation is not ideal, but we force the 7th lowest QB rating in the league, opposing 1st down percentage is 32.2% (8th best in the league, and believe it or not have been very good against the run (only 87.5 YPG, which is 7th best). 

Sam isn't going to solve everything, but he's going to make our offense light-years better than it was. He's a tremendous talent, and while the offensive line is not good, he will make up for it - just like many young, talented mobile QBs have before him. 

While I don't think we will beat DAL, I think the Pats game is extremely winnable. Keep in mind how well Sam played to end last year, and also consider how the Pats offense has looked against bad teams. The point totals don't tell the whole story... from there, we have the easiest schedule in the league to finish the season. JAX, MIAx2, NYG, WAS, OAK, CIN, BAL, PIT, and BUF are all winnable games. I'm not saying we will win all of them, but it also wouldn't shock me if the Jets turn it around and end the season with an 8-8 or even 9-7 record even after starting 0-4. It's happened before for teams with less talent so it wouldn't shock me if it happens to us - especially if Sam is as good as I think he is. 

FAs didn't ignore us last year; the only guy we didn't land that we legitimately went for was Anthony Barr, who agreed than backed out. The year before was Kirk Cousins (thank god). End of the day money talks and BS walks; players care if the team is willing to spend and has a QB. That's pretty much it. Furthermore, you have to remember that there is new management in town. One of Maccagnan's biggest criticisms was that he wasn't aggressive enough; he was diligent and very thorough, but many complained he was too indecisive - if the rumors are true, that won't be Joe Douglas. 

Also, I don't think I'm actually putting much starpower into this offseason. There are 3 top iOL with Glasgow likely the 3rd behind Scherff and Thuney, and same can be said for Armstead, who is not going to be back in SF unless he takes a major discount. The rest of the additions are far from premier free agents. In fact, most of them are backups with some starting experience.

As for Leonard Floyd: I see that trade going down either with us or another team. He's somewhat overrated, but rumors are that Anthony Barr was a Gregg Williams desire - so I'd have to think he would like Floyd that much more, and with Joe Douglas being heavily involved in scouting him, I feel like there is something there. Alternatively, CHI needs the space and if they're not going to resign him, might as well trade him. Billy Price is another trade that I feel will happen - whether its us or someone else. He doesn't fit that offense and needs a fresh start, just as Laken Tomlinson did. 

I think the only way we stand a chance is if Darnold has a huge breakout the rest of the year. We catch lightning in a bottle with DT, the OL does a 180, Herndon returns to his last season form and the defense gets a few guys to step up. For me that's WAYYYY too many things that have to happen. I stay with my 4 win prediction. And I'd love to be wrong and see us compete and all those things to happen. Maybe we even find a few new starters as the rest of the year plays out.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the only way we stand a chance is if Darnold has a huge breakout the rest of the year. We catch lightning in a bottle with DT, the OL does a 180, Herndon returns to his last season form and the defense gets a few guys to step up. For me that's WAYYYY too many things that have to happen. I stay with my 4 win prediction. And I'd love to be wrong and see us compete and all those things to happen. Maybe we even find a few new starters as the rest of the year plays out.

And I fully expect Darnold to. The offense still needs to click, and we can all point to Gase being horrible thus far but was our staff much better last year? Also, take a look at who Darnold was throwing to last year; take a look at what the offensive line looked like. If he was able to go on a roll then - literally PFFs highest rated QB to close the final quarter of the season - I don't see why he won't be able to this year. It's not being a homer, it's just using the info available to jump to a conclusion. Yes the line needs to click, but eventually it will. Le'Veon's effectiveness with Sam vs. without is night-and-day. Robby Anderson/Crowder/DT is a competent group that will get a boost post-NE when Herndon officially returns. We have worse teams than us on our schedule that we may lose to, but there are some teams who are better that we'll beat. Conservatively, I expect 6-6. 

Knock on wood Sam doesn't get injured (which would be so Jets of us this year), but when you factor in that Sam was not 100% week one + what we know about the Bills defense now (they also held the Pats to 16 points and the highest point total against them this season has been 17), and consider that the combined record of our first 4 opponents is 14-5, I find it hard to believe that this team won't produce at a significantly higher level as the season goes on with Sam. We're not going to win all 12 games, but I can see the team going on a roll. It's easy to be pessimistic right now and it would be foolish to be optimistic, but realistic is somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 2