Who will be the biggest surprise / biggest disappointment in 2017?

JLambert58

2 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

On paper, I agree, but being honest, do you think Bryant would have dropped that pass at the beginning of the AFCCG?  Hurt or not, that is a litmus test for a WR in this league imo.  

From what I recall,  Coates had stitches in one hand and broken fingers on the other.

I dont know the exact condition of his hands in the AFC title game, but if they were still in bad shape...yeah, Id imagine even Antonio Brown may have dropped it with busted hands.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

From what I recall,  Coates had stitches in one hand and broken fingers on the other.

I dont know the exact condition of his hands in the AFC title game, but if they were still in bad shape...yeah, Id imagine even Antonio Brown may have dropped it with busted hands.

If they were that bad, then there's no way he should have been out there.  As we've said many times...  

I think Coates is very talented, I just feel like he's not as big a baller as Bryant, regardless if they both have iffy hands.  But we all know that Bryant probably has HOF talent if he were to get it all going in the right direction.  

2 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

If they were that bad, then there's no way he should have been out there.  As we've said many times...  

I think Coates is very talented, I just feel like he's not as big a baller as Bryant, regardless if they both have iffy hands.  But we all know that Bryant probably has HOF talent if he were to get it all going in the right direction.  

I agree...its on the coaches.    I dont know how bad his hands were late in the season so its hard to say who deserves more blame.  

And yes, I agree Bryant has much more talent and potential.    Just saying the Coates wasnt the bum some make him out to be....while seemingly disregarding his injury.  

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree...its on the coaches.    I dont know how bad his hands were late in the season so its hard to say who deserves more blame.  

And yes, I agree Bryant has much more talent and potential.    Just saying the Coates wasnt the bum some make him out to be....while seemingly disregarding his injury.  

Yeah, the whole Coates saga last year was a headscratcher.  I don't blame him for the injury or it's impact on his effectiveness for the most part.  (though I'll stick with saying that he has to make that catch against the Pats)  I think they kept playing him on ST out of desperation and tried to get back in at WR late in the season for the same reason.  

• 1 month later...

Surprise: Mike Mitchell. Best corner duo he's played with here, and when he had something like that in Carolina he was good. 

Dissapointment: Heyward. I think we're thinking way too much of him. He's good/great and all, but coming back from injury he'll take some time to get all the way back. 

Well I couldn't be any more happy to be wrong.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:13 AM, Chieferific said:

Surprise: Heyward. After missing most of last year he comes out with his hair on fire and records a career high 10 sacks. Have we ever had a 3-4 DE get 10? I don't know but Heyward can do it.

Disappointment: Haden. I think most of us are hopeful (and cautiously optimistic) he can regain his former Pro Bowl form. He was signed to be the starter and the former was let go because of his suckiness. Haden is supposed to be a significant upgrade. While I'm not betting on it, it wouldn't surprise me if his nagging injuries and age as caught up to him and he isn't the huge upgrade we had all hoped. I couldn't think of anything much more disappointing. 

-Heyward has 5 sacks halfway through. So far so good.

-Haden has shown no signs of injury or age. In fact, I think he's gotten better as the season's gone on.

Scorecard: 1 out of 2. Right on the good one and wrong on the bad one. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wish you hadn't been wrong on both. Having a good safety on the back end our secondary would be nasty. 

Yea me to a little.

Thing about Mitchell sucking though IMO: With so many other spots of the roster seemingly settled....it gives us a clear draft target (assuming Ben and Bell stay).

On 9/10/2017 at 12:32 PM, JLambert58 said:

On paper, I agree, but being honest, do you think Bryant would have dropped that pass at the beginning of the AFCCG?  Hurt or not, that is a litmus test for a WR in this league imo.  

Didn't Bryant near drop an easy TD pass from Ben in the Wild Card game the year before that?

6 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Didn't Bryant near drop an easy TD pass from Ben in the Wild Card game the year before that?

Can't recall the one you mean.  Yeah, he's had some drops over the years - no doubt.

My point was, in a crunch-time, critical situation Bryant will usually deliver the goods.  And that Coates drop was about as bad as it gets for a supposed big-time receiver, hand injury notwithstanding.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:39 PM, JLambert58 said:

Biggest surprise:  TJ Watt.  He's going to have his struggles but he's going to keep getting better all season and will be a force by seasons' end.

Biggest disappointment:  Martavis Bryant.  A year out of football and he just can't get it going again at an elite level.  (definitely not rooting for it)

T.J. Watt - even better than most of us had hoped -  he's a rising star.   

Didn't want to be right about Bryant.  A year away from the game, plus missing TC and most (if not all) of preseason can mess with a guy's confidence and timing.  I truly hope he can get back on the same page with Ben and the offense and make some noise down the stretch.  

I think Bryant is overhyped. Its pretty sad that I was somewhat shocked when he half way dove for that ball vs Chicago. You can get a lot of guys to stretch the defense. Its pretty sad that a 6'4 guy has no clue on what it means to attack or go after the ball. Unless it falls into his hands he very rarely makes any special kind of catch.

Hopefully they will stuff this bird with catches and big plays then trade him away during the draft in a package to move up to get a young QB, make a move to get Luck. 

12 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Can't recall the one you mean.  Yeah, he's had some drops over the years - no doubt.

My point was, in a crunch-time, critical situation Bryant will usually deliver the goods.  And that Coates drop was about as bad as it gets for a supposed big-time receiver, hand injury notwithstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbz0o0spEgk

Archived