Week 6: Texans at Arrowhead GDT

onejayhawk

Two game week coming up. First, the Texans and Deshaun Watson, another top 10 QB. The Texas are also a top 10 team according to FBO, #13 on offense and #11 on defense. Interestingly, Indianapolis' top 10 offense has moved our defense into the middle of FBO's rankings, at #18. Our offense fell behind Dallas to become #2. Overall we are #3.

There is an interesting article on the defense at Pride:
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/10/9/20903434/chiefs-defensive-trends-and-tabulation-for-week-5

Right now, the Chiefs defense has two hallmarks: red-zone defense and turnovers.

The Chiefs are currently fourth in the league in red-zone defense, allowing a touchdown on just 45% of their trips. Unfortunately, they’re also leading the league in those red-zone trips. That red-zone defense showed up in a big way on Sunday, forcing the Colts into four field goals in five attempts. In large part, the red-zone defense is succeeding because the Chiefs can bring their safeties into the game a bit more; between the 20s, Spagnuolo makes sure he gives his cornerbacks help over the top.

J

1 hour ago, Habbsawce said:

Chiefs have a very tough schedule to start the season, damn.

Fortunately for us nobody is really threatening for the West crown. Chargers are coming apart at the seams (Chargers could literally be 1-4 right now if Vinatieri didn't go full meltdown), Raiders are looking better but still a year away, Broncos were talking firesale prior to smacking the chargers around.

8 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

someone needs to step up at RB. Mahomes needs to stay vertical and get his timing back.

I'm surprised with how bad Williams has been. Hopefully he didn't rush back from injury too soon. The draft is looking to be really good for RB so I hope we get our guy then.

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm surprised with how bad Williams has been. Hopefully he didn't rush back from injury too soon. The draft is looking to be really good for RB so I hope we get our guy then.

I'd be surprised to see us go RB early. The OL and Defense (again) will be the focus probably. It's sad that K.Saunders hasn't worked out.

Edited by mayanfootball

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'd be surprised to see us go RB early. The OL and Defense (again) will be the focus probably. It's sad that K.Saunders hasn't worked out.

He didnt look too bad in relief on Sunday

Edited by Chiefer

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'd like to see a "comeback". How can a big man like that, who can do backflips, not dominate his position?

It's a job that requires skill. Even athletic guys have to understand anchoring, leverage and balance.

In other news, there are indications that Mo Claiborne will see more action this week. He won't help the run defense directly, but he may need less support from the safeties. 

J

Chris Jones is officially out, XW to IR. Khalen Saunders will start at DT, but expect TK to play inside as well. I think this will better than many expect. TK is a pentrater, but that can also gum up a running game. The downside is loss of pass rush against an elite QB.

On offense, Fisher is still out and Andrew Wylie is doubtful, Hill is questionable--GTD. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/10/11/20910475/chiefs-final-injury-report-vs-texans-tyreek-hill-is-officially-questionable

14 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Chris Jones is officially out, XW to IR. Khalen Saunders will start at DT, but expect TK to play inside as well. I think this will better than many expect. TK is a pentrater, but that can also gum up a running game. The downside is loss of pass rush against an elite QB.

On offense, Fisher is still out and Andrew Wylie is doubtful, Hill is questionable--GTD. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/10/11/20910475/chiefs-final-injury-report-vs-texans-tyreek-hill-is-officially-questionable

I'm intrigued to see how the run defense does without Jones and Williams. Williams has been bad this year period, but it would be an interesting revelation IMO if we look better inside in run D without Jones.

It should be noted that every team we have played is in the top half of the league running the ball. Detroit at #13 is the lowest, with Baltimore and Indianapolis in the top 5.

According to FBO, the SOS against our defense is 5th toughest. We are also outperforming defensive expectations by three positions, #18 vs #21. It's not good, but it's not horrible either.

J

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It should be noted that every team we have played is in the top half of the league running the ball. Detroit at #13 is the lowest, with Baltimore and Indianapolis in the top 5.

According to FBO, the SOS against our defense is 5th toughest. We are also outperforming defensive expectations by three positions, #18 vs #21. It's not good, but it's not horrible either.

J

Feels horrible when I'm watching.

16 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

J

Fun fact from NFL Gen, we're actually holding opposing offense's under their season average for scoring.