phillies have fired Kapler

flyguy1609

9 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

He made it about a year and 1/2 longer than I thought he would last. Already talk he could be a candidate for the Giants.

Sadly, he sounds like a Giants type managerial candidate lol. I don't know what it was, but I thought that when I heard he got fired. Our GM was also one of the people who gave Kaplan a strong recommendation to the Phillies, apparently. 

That being said, Mark Kotsay sounds like possibly the front runner for the job, which is another candidate that sounds decidedly Giants like. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Sadly, he sounds like a Giants type managerial candidate lol. I don't know what it was, but I thought that when I heard he got fired. Our GM was also one of the people who gave Kaplan a strong recommendation to the Phillies, apparently. That being said, Mark Kotsay sounds like possibly the front runner for the job, which is another candidate that sounds decidedly Giants like. 

Can you put some meat on those bones? Whats a "Giants-like" coach?

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Can you put some meat on those bones? Whats a "Giants-like" coach?

Former player / "baseball guy", kind of passive with players (despite the fiasco with the Hernandez benching) and well liked by them. Difference seems to be that Kapler is a crap communicator and may rely on pure analytics more. It's important to keep in mind that as a Giants fan, I've had approximately 3 managers since I was 11 years old (I'm 38 now). Dusty, Felipe, Bochy. He kind of fits in with that grouping. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Former player / "baseball guy", kind of passive with players (despite the fiasco with the Hernandez benching) and well liked by them. Difference seems to be that Kapler is a crap communicator and may rely on pure analytics more. It's important to keep in mind that as a Giants fan, I've had approximately 3 managers since I was 11 years old (I'm 38 now). Dusty, Felipe, Bochy. He kind of fits in with that grouping. 

Okay. Thanks for the insights. I was thinking you meant "2nd tier talent" kinda guy. Kinda bland. I'm not a Giants fan - pretty much dont have a clue what they're up to - so I was interested in your thoughts.

@Forge I guess he could be hired as a front office mouth piece, but I would be shocked if he was our manager. It would be very uninspiring. 

I'm still holding out for Bob Melvin. His contract is up and he may decide that winning in the AL with no money is 5x harder than winning in the NL with a huge bucket of money... and he won't even have to move! The As have a good young core and I'm sure he will have second thoughts of leaving, but a manager of this quality should have gotten a new contract months ago. The fact he hasn't signed a new deal speaks volumes to me 

He has familiarity with zaidi and is well versed in analytics, but also is a 'baseball guy'. It makes so much sense. 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

@Forge I guess he could be hired as a front office mouth piece, but I would be shocked if he was our manager. It would be very uninspiring. 

I'm still holding out for Bob Melvin. His contract is up and he may decide that winning in the AL with no money is 5x harder than winning in the NL with a huge bucket of money... and he won't even have to move! The As have a good young core and I'm sure he will have second thoughts of leaving, but a manager of this quality should have gotten a new contract months ago. The fact he hasn't signed a new deal speaks volumes to me 

He has familiarity with zaidi and is well versed in analytics, but also is a 'baseball guy'. It makes so much sense. 

Read alot about Kotsay

• Like 1