Randall Cobb Outlook?

McGahee

How has Randall Cobb looked in training camp so far? Are we expecting a bounce back to the Randall Cobb of old (i.e., his 92/1,287/12TD season)?

What have the beat writers been saying about his role/expectations this year?

How many targets do you see him getting this year? What kind of a stat line do you see him putting up?

I haven't heard a lot about Cobb this offseason. I think he could still be a major asset to this team, he's still really young and of course versatile.

The only 'issue' I see with him not producing pro bowl numbers is because of all the weapons we have on offense. Between him, Jordy, Davante, Marty, Kendricks, Geronimo, Monty etc. he's likely not going to see the ball as much as he used to a couple years back. 

With that being said, I could still see him nearing the 1000yd mark. He could still be one of the leagues best slot WRs.

He wasn't even the best slot receiver on the team last year...let alone the league.

Cobb has limited speed as evidenced by the fact that he was the only receiver in camp that couldn't pull away from Gunter on some long pass plays.

His game is quickness and connection with Rodgers.  If he can stay healthy and have that quickness, he has a chance to be a good 3rd WR in this system, maybe a great 4'th target on offense behind Nelson, Adams and Bennett.

I think his season will go like this....disappear for a few games, pop up with a big game by catching 2 or 3 scramble drills from Rodgers, but he should end around 750 yards and 5 scores.  

I'm a Cobb fan, but it was easy to see that he lost some speed last year.  And speed is tough to get back.

On 9/9/2017 at 8:51 AM, vegas492 said:

He wasn't even the best slot receiver on the team last year...let alone the league.

Cobb has limited speed as evidenced by the fact that he was the only receiver in camp that couldn't pull away from Gunter on some long pass plays.

His game is quickness and connection with Rodgers.  If he can stay healthy and have that quickness, he has a chance to be a good 3rd WR in this system, maybe a great 4'th target on offense behind Nelson, Adams and Bennett.

I think his season will go like this....disappear for a few games, pop up with a big game by catching 2 or 3 scramble drills from Rodgers, but he should end around 750 yards and 5 scores.  

I'm a Cobb fan, but it was easy to see that he lost some speed last year.  And speed is tough to get back.

Who said I was talking about last year? It's pretty evident that he was at one time considered by many to be one of the leagues best slot WRs.

Also, he looked pretty fast today...

He didn't look fast, he looked quick.  And he usually does until week 4 or so.  

Watch the tape...Bennett got a TON of attention yesterday and opened Cobb up.  Hopefully that trend continues and Cobb can avoid those little injuries that take his quickness away.

I'll give him credit, though, he was much more effective in this game than I thought he would be.  Seeing how much attention Bennett drew was really eye opening to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to bump this because I was just looking at his numbers. And they don't add up. I can't see Cobb being on this roster (at his cap hit) in 2018.

Jordy Nelson has the 8th highest cap hit in 2018.

Randall Cobb has the 9th highest cap hit in 2018.

Davante Adams is going to demand very near a top 10 salary. Something has to give. Here's why I think it will be Cobb.

Since signing his extension in 2014 his production has decreased from 1300 to 800 to 600 yds. His TDs from 12 to 6 to 4. His snap% from 88% to 91% to 62%. Currently this season he is on pace for 800, 4 and 57%. He has a cap savings of $9.5 million if he is cut (counting a dead $3.2). 

Nothing makes sense about keeping Cobb under contract for 2018. He's as good as gone if he doesn't restructure for like 60% of his current yearly contract.

Jordy is FAR more likely to be a restructure candidate to sign his last contract ever for another couple years. Something like a 3 year, $15mil guaranteed contract keeping him through 2020. He is still a TD machine and is invaluable to have in the locker-room going forward. Cobb is far more expendable.

Thoughts?

44 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Going to bump this because I was just looking at his numbers. And they don't add up. I can't see Cobb being on this roster (at his cap hit) in 2018.

Jordy Nelson has the 8th highest cap hit in 2018.

Randall Cobb has the 9th highest cap hit in 2018.

Davante Adams is going to demand very near a top 10 salary. Something has to give. Here's why I think it will be Cobb.

Since signing his extension in 2014 his production has decreased from 1300 to 800 to 600 yds. His TDs from 12 to 6 to 4. His snap% from 88% to 91% to 62%. Currently this season he is on pace for 800, 4 and 57%. He has a cap savings of $9.5 million if he is cut (counting a dead $3.2). 

Nothing makes sense about keeping Cobb under contract for 2018. He's as good as gone if he doesn't restructure for like 60% of his current yearly contract.

Jordy is FAR more likely to be a restructure candidate to sign his last contract ever for another couple years. Something like a 3 year, $15mil guaranteed contract keeping him through 2020. He is still a TD machine and is invaluable to have in the locker-room going forward. Cobb is far more expendable.

Thoughts?

I can see that.  Not sure I would love it.  A lot of that probably depends if Adams is signed ahead of FA or not.  If you cut Cobb and Adams hits FA, then you run the risk of having only Nelson and Allison as WR with any meaningful production going into 2018.  I think @spilltray noted in anther thread that drafting a boundary WR  in the first few rounds in 2018.  

Certainly the progression/development of Yancey and Dupree could factor into that as well.

How much does the GB process of getting some players on a very good deal play into the possible cutting of that player before the deal runs out?   I might be off on this, but it seems that the number of players that have signed reasonable sized contracts with GB, the vast majority see the end of that deal.  

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I can see that.  Not sure I would love it.  A lot of that probably depends if Adams is signed ahead of FA or not.  If you cut Cobb and Adams hits FA, then you run the risk of having only Nelson and Allison as WR with any meaningful production going into 2018.  I think @spilltray noted in anther thread that drafting a boundary WR  in the first few rounds in 2018.  

Certainly the progression/development of Yancey and Dupree could factor into that as well.

How much does the GB process of getting some players on a very good deal play into the possible cutting of that player before the deal runs out?   I might be off on this, but it seems that the number of players that have signed reasonable sized contracts with GB, the vast majority see the end of that deal.  

Personally I think they will figure out a structure for Adams to work but let Cobb play it out. Having 3 WRs that are capable starters and have that comfort level in the offense is worth just letting it play out and getting some more talent on board.

These late round guys are nice developmental prospects but this offense needs 5-6 WRs anyway over a season so I think they'll still have spots to fight for. If you add a boundary guy with starter potential he can be the #4 for a year unless he earns more, letting Cobb walk after 2018. I don't want to restructure Cobb either because that will undoubtedly mean an extension and I think it's time to get younger at WR.

Archived