Randall Cobb Outlook?

McGahee

22 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

So, team saves 9.25 mil by cutting him.  They can reduce his cap hit by 7 mil if they convert his salary to a signing bonus on an extension.  Then they have to give a 3 year extension to cobb.  Which is not something I would do.

There's so many WR in free agency this season... I'm ready to make a push for Larry Fitz on a "get a ring deal" before we stick with Cobb for 2018.  

Adams has me less worried now than before the season.  He's continuing to grow.  He's obviously not worth tip top money, but it's getting pretty close and he's surpassed Jordy as the toughest cover for opposing teams IMO.  Well, outside of the RZ where the telepathy with Rodgers isn't quite there.

Hell Adams is right behind Jordy in RZ TDs lately still. They're first and third the last two years in the NFL.

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Who would ya'all rather have going forward:

Randall Cobb in 2018

Morgan Burnett and Davon House in 2018 and 2019 (and maybe 2020)?

Burnett + House can be had for one Cobb in 2018.

I would like Burnett to come back now that HaHa has been struggling. I agree with pay Adams let Cobb go. Its a business.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:53 PM, incognito_man said:

Who would ya'all rather have going forward:

Randall Cobb in 2018

Morgan Burnett and Davon House in 2018 and 2019 (and maybe 2020)?

Burnett + House can be had for one Cobb in 2018.

I'd like to see what kind of numbers you're using.  Let's look at this, if the Packers release Randall Cobb they're still on the hook for the $3.25M left on his signing bonus which creates $9.5M in cap space.  Do you truly believe you can re-sign Morgan Burnett and Davon House for $9.5M or less?  I don't think Morgan Burnett is going to get paid premium money even on the open market, but little reason to believe he couldn't get a contract close to $8M/year.  Davon House's contract floor realistically probably isn't any lower than what he's making, but he's probably closer to $4M-$5M.  That's well over what the Packers save by releasing Randall Cobb.

I kind of think they can figure out a way to make the numbers work. I just don't think cutting Cobb is smart because the #3 WR is still a starter for this offense. Who is paying that much for a #3? I still think Cobb could be a higher end #2 type for most teams in the league. He'd be miscast as a #1 on some of the teams with REALLY bad WRs.

Archived