Randall Cobb Outlook?

McGahee

Just now, squire12 said:

Since my post count is 1/6 of the incognito_man, offering that few would be like a 1 to 1 Koruna to US dollar.  Probably more like 500 squire points

who says points = post counts? If anything Incog throws out points pretty liberally so there are more in circulation.

What would a Cobb restructure look like?

Take the $9.5M that is due to Cobb in Base and other bonuses and turn that into signing bonus over 2-3 years?  Adding a few $M for base and such

so something like 3 years (additional) for $15-17M total

2018 = $3.25M (previous signing bonus cap number) + some base $$ ...like $1.5M

2019 = $5.5M

2020  =  $4.5M

2021 = $3.5M

Just spit balling some number....truly have no idea on what it would be.  Don't think I would like that type of restructure

12 minutes ago, spilltray said:

who says points = post counts? If anything Incog throws out points pretty liberally so there are more in circulation.

I was under the impression that you could use those points at the company store.  Pick up a nice can Koozie or plastic wine glasses.

12 hours ago, spilltray said:

Personally I think they will figure out a structure for Adams to work but let Cobb play it out. Having 3 WRs that are capable starters and have that comfort level in the offense is worth just letting it play out and getting some more talent on board.

These late round guys are nice developmental prospects but this offense needs 5-6 WRs anyway over a season so I think they'll still have spots to fight for. If you add a boundary guy with starter potential he can be the #4 for a year unless he earns more, letting Cobb walk after 2018. I don't want to restructure Cobb either because that will undoubtedly mean an extension and I think it's time to get younger at WR.

There's no way we keep $36million worth of WRs next year. I'll be shocked if Cobb plays under his contract next season. It just doesn't add up IMO.

Just a thought, would anyone trade Cobb for DRC right now given the developments in his situation with the Giants? Or maybe a DB swap w/ Randall for DRC?

A lot of weird variables would line up (Ex. Our relationship with their head coach, their need for a WR, exchange of DBs in the doghouse, etc.)

1 hour ago, Csraverage said:

Just a thought, would anyone trade Cobb for DRC right now given the developments in his situation with the Giants? Or maybe a DB swap w/ Randall for DRC?

A lot of weird variables would line up (Ex. Our relationship with their head coach, their need for a WR, exchange of DBs in the doghouse, etc.)

Why would we want yet another malcontent CB in our locker room??

3 hours ago, Csraverage said:

I wouldn't trade randall for DRC, but I would trade cobb for him.  We'll want Randall, King, and DRC/House next year.  DRC is signed through 2018.

That's actually a really good re-allocation.  The issue for the giants is that they aren't trying to win this year, so they don't really need cobb.  And next year they have a "slot only" guy they like in Sterling Shepard who would compete with Cobb for snaps.  I like the fit here but I doubt they feel the same.

EDIT: I didn't see all this noise about his suspension and his walking out on the team.  We don't need that from a vet.

Personally I want DRC on the team.  I think he really helps the pass defense.  Malcontent or not.

But...you don't mess with success right now.  You keep your QB happy.  And he likes Cobb.

Now, if DRC gets cut????  Label me as extremely interested.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There's no way we keep $36million worth of WRs next year. I'll be shocked if Cobb plays under his contract next season. It just doesn't add up IMO.

In AAV, sure, in cap hit? Say you structure Adams deal light in year 1 and restructure and extend Nelson next offseason bringing next year's cap number down. Getting rid of Cobb means you are 1 injury away from a rookie unknown or a guy like Allison being your #2 WR and that isn't worth whatever cap hit you save by cutting Cobb.

They can play cap games to make the numbers work next year and the upside to having developed passing options is worth it IMO.

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

In AAV, sure, in cap hit? Say you structure Adams deal light in year 1 and restructure and extend Nelson next offseason bringing next year's cap number down. Getting rid of Cobb means you are 1 injury away from a rookie unknown or a guy like Allison being your #2 WR and that isn't worth whatever cap hit you save by cutting Cobb.

They can play cap games to make the numbers work next year and the upside to having developed passing options is worth it IMO.

it doesn't really matter how you massage the cap to make it work, either way you're paying WWAAAYYY too much for WRs in a single year. That's just bad roster management however you play with the numbers. Cobb just isn't worth $12million a year anymore (if he ever was) as a #3 WR.

There will be plenty of WRs in free agency if the team isn't happy with an Adams/Nelson/Allison/Davis/Dupree/Janis corp heading into 2018 and want another vet over a rook.

41 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

it doesn't really matter how you massage the cap to make it work, either way you're paying WWAAAYYY too much for WRs in a single year. That's just bad roster management however you play with the numbers. Cobb just isn't worth $12million a year anymore (if he ever was) as a #3 WR.

There will be plenty of WRs in free agency if the team isn't happy with an Adams/Nelson/Allison/Davis/Dupree/Janis corp heading into 2018 and want another vet over a rook.

I still disagree. It was 10 average and the big years at the end are kind of pay off for the cheap years up front. Letting guys play those deals out if they are solid contributors is good in my opinion from an organizational management point of view. You get players to take those deals when you need them to because they trust you to honor them. They've let similar guys play out deals before over and over. If someone is willing to give up something of value for Cobb that's one thing, but I still think he's worth letting play out his contract from a few different viewpoints.

11 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I still disagree. It was 10 average and the big years at the end are kind of pay off for the cheap years up front. Letting guys play those deals out if they are solid contributors is good in my opinion from an organizational management point of view. You get players to take those deals when you need them to because they trust you to honor them. They've let similar guys play out deals before over and over. If someone is willing to give up something of value for Cobb that's one thing, but I still think he's worth letting play out his contract from a few different viewpoints.

I'm curious who the next highest paid #3 WR on a team is. I bet it's about about 25% of Cobb's contract next season.

Archived