What is the fundamental issue with the offense?

mission27

What is wrong with the offense?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. What is wrong with the offense?

• Offensive line
    • Play calling
    • Lack of receiving targets
    • Running backs
    • Brady

4 hours ago, jofos said:

Every year at this time it seems like it same discussion and it usually ends well. 

This is where I am at. Everybody can see that this offense has serious issues right now but I also expect this to look a lot better post bye with a couple reinforcements and with better health.

Brady’s 14 passing attempts at or behind the line of scrimmage were the second-most we have ever seen from him in a game, and over 51% of his total passes were less than three yards downfield

After last night’s game, just 6.1% of Brady’s total targets in 2019 have gone to a tight end, which is on pace to be his career low. Gronk was Brady’s number one option on intermediate and deep passes. Gronk has been the recipient of 445 targets of 10-plus yards from Brady in his career. That total is more than any other receiver of Brady’s by 140 since 2006. Gronk wasn’t the only one in the QB-receiver relationship to thrive either, as Brady’s passer rating to Gronk on those targets was 131.4 and his completion percentage was at 59.8%, which is also 8% higher than his completion percentage on those same throws to any receiver on their active roster.

8 hours ago, biggbrd said:

"...barely ends well"

The team has won 3 of the last 5 superbowls and been to a 4th. 8 straight AFCCGs....

28-3 was one Super Bowl, they lost to the Eagles, probably were going to lose to the Seahawks, and only generated 13 points against the Rams last year. In the context of the offense "getting it together in the end" I say barely in the Super Bowl it has if not for the miracle performances largely by either Brady or Belichick depending on the game.

Do I think the offense will get better? Yes, but how much? I don't really know. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't carry much greater expectations of the offensive production if you're basing it solely on how the last several seasons have ended unless you're relying on more miraculous performance to happen.

17 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Do I think the offense will get better? Yes, but how much? I don't really know. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't carry much greater expectations of the offensive production if you're basing it solely on how the last several seasons have ended unless you're relying on more miraculous performance to happen.

I think we are talking about a top 7-10 offense. Good enough in combination with a ATG defense.

4 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I think we are talking about a top 7-10 offense. Good enough in combination with a ATG defense.

When the Patriots defense plays against more competitive and well-rounded offenses, then hopefully our faith in them will be rewarded. As for a top ten offense? Eh, if Josh Gordon can stay healthy and play a little better and everyone is back healthy while Josh McDaniels actually somehow calls better plays to help the run game and just let's things happen instead of overcomplicating everything then yes, maybe.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

When the Patriots defense plays against more competitive and well-rounded offenses, then hopefully our faith in them will be rewarded. As for a top ten offense? Eh, if Josh Gordon can stay healthy and play a little better and everyone is back healthy while Josh McDaniels actually somehow calls better plays to help the run game and just let's things happen instead of overcomplicating everything then yes, maybe.

When N'Keal Harry, Wynn return and we trade for another offensive weapon. Then I expect this offense to be top 7. Which should be after the bye week.

As for now it's roughly league average.

• Like 1