Urban Meyer on the evolution of tackling.

Kiwibrown

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Is this anything new? I was taught to tackle like this since peewee (in my 20s now) to protect your neck, and that's always been considered the textbook tackle whenever commentators or analysts are talking about tackling (lead with shoulder, wrap up and drive). At least in the 15 years I've been watching.

I once tried doing that to a Samoan! 

Dude weight a solid 360.. Muscle and just some a bit of fat. 

Brother, dude ran me over and I’m 100% sure I got a concussion. 

Never again. 

Edited by ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

15 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I once tried doing that to a Samoan! 

Dude weight a solid 360.. Muscle and just some a bit of fat. 

Brother, dude ran me over and I’m 100% sure I got a concussion. 

Never again. 

Traditional tackoing would not have helped that 

• Like 1

so... what is the strategy to stop a freight train.?? (without intent to injure)

assuming you're in the path of it; rather than coming up on the side and doing a stagecoach robbery

do you grab the cloth to try and tip them one way to forgo a contested drive-back completely since you're going to lose that 99% of the time

is there a strategy that works if you have a second player to assist your plan

7 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

so... what is the strategy to stop a freight train.?? (without intent to injure)

assuming you're in the path of it; rather than coming up on the side and doing a stagecoach robbery

do you grab the cloth to try and tip them one way to forgo a contested drive-back completely since you're going to lose that 99% of the time

is there a strategy that works if you have a second player to assist your plan

You hit low. Works every time. I used to be a beast of a ball carrier in HS (Alstott-ish style), but as soon as someone hit me BELOW THE KNEES I went down like a sack of potatoes. Like embarrassingly fast. It wasn’t taught to go low all that much in 2006. Coaching now, this is what we teach and it’s working very well for us. It also seems like something that will be universal in a year or two. 

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

You know something I've never understood - it's why NFL teams don't adopt the rugby passing system on plays. Everyone goes crazy when a team does a 'hook and lateral' which is basically a rugby pass out the back door. Why don't they do this more often? Build in plays that is designed to get two runners available, when defenders swarm for the pass-catcher, he passes it to the free runner - TD every single time. I guess it wouldn't take long for teams to be wise to it, but it would be a total nightmare for defenses. They KIND of do it on a QB option play, when he keeps it then tosses it when he gets the LB to commit - that's rugby.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You know something I've never understood - it's why NFL teams don't adopt the rugby passing system on plays. Everyone goes crazy when a team does a 'hook and lateral' which is basically a rugby pass out the back door. Why don't they do this more often? Build in plays that is designed to get two runners available, when defenders swarm for the pass-catcher, he passes it to the free runner - TD every single time. I guess it wouldn't take long for teams to be wise to it, but it would be a total nightmare for defenses. They KIND of do it on a QB option play, when he keeps it then tosses it when he gets the LB to commit - that's rugby.

One issue is possesion of the ball. In rugby turnovers are more common than the nfl, and losing the ball isnt an absolute disaster. Rugby has less demensions of attack and defense in play also. In rugby there is stricter offsides rules, the defense is in front of you most of the game, it isnt true in the nfl when a wr has the ball, there can be peopel coming from 360 degrees, it would become less safe to pass of it was common. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

One issue is possesion of the ball. In rugby turnovers are more common than the nfl, and losing the ball isnt an absolute disaster. Rugby has less demensions of attack and defense in play also. In rugby there is stricter offsides rules, the defense is in front of you most of the game, it isnt true in the nfl when a wr has the ball, there can be peopel coming from 360 degrees, it would become less safe to pass of it was common. 

True. Maybe only in certain situations. How many times have you seen a WR running down the sideline with only 1 safety left in who simply pushes him out of bounds - if an offense can design a second runner to follow in behind him....receive the pass...you know the rest. What you say is true though, this is why they don't do it.