Dion Lewis Drawing Trade Interest

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

How exactly are we "set at RB?". None of the backs on our roster have shown they can handle a large workload and I'm not sure there's a RB on the roster who can replicate what Lewis does.

Also, it's very rare that Patriot's trade rumors leak early. The moves usually come out of nowhere and you don't hear about them beforehand. 

What does Lewis do that the other backs don't? 

Seems like every one of his skills is not only redundant but worse than someone else - other than kick returning, which he's nothing special at 

4 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

What does Lewis do that the other backs don't? 

Seems like every one of his skills is not only redundant but worse than someone else - other than kick returning, which he's nothing special at 

I think he's the best overall back in terms of running and receiving. Better runner than White, receiver than Gillislee and Burkhead. Guess what I'm saying is he's the most well rounded.

I dunno about that. White looks like he's turned the corner as a between-the-tackles runner. And I've seen nothing to suggest he's a better receiver than Burkhead. If anything, Burkhead seems like he has more reliable hands.

I like Lewis a lot, but if someone offers up a starting-quality LB or DL in exchange for him, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

33 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I think he's the best overall back in terms of running and receiving. Better runner than White, receiver than Gillislee and Burkhead. Guess what I'm saying is he's the most well rounded.

White's picking up the slack in the ground game; hope he keeps it up :D

Lewis is the 3rd or 4th best runner and 3rd best receiver. 

White, at this point, is a better runner. Gillislee and Burkhead are both clearly better. 

White and Burkhead are clear better receivers. Gillislee is an unknown 

Lewis is the best with the ball in his hand in space, but that's not that useful if you're not good at getting into open space. 

Lewis was exciting to watch for a few games 2 seasons ago. But he didn't show much last year except that he can't be trusted to hold onto the ball. His route running, blitz recognition and catching ability (hands, catch radius, catching in traffic) are all below average for a "receiving back"

2015 Lewis is a valuable change of pace guy. But I'm not convinced he's back to that level. And if he is, he's still a guy who should only get 10-15 snaps (5-10 touches) per game. He doesn't have the running vision, strength or pass down abilities to warrant more time unless the team has injuries.

IMO he, like Blount, is a great example of a guy who gets overrated based on a few highlight reel plays. Though, unlike Blount, Lewis is actually useful. Just in a limited role.

I'd definitely trade him if the team were healthy but the return they would get for him is probably pretty small. Not worth sacrificing depth for.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I dunno about that. White looks like he's turned the corner as a between-the-tackles runner. And I've seen nothing to suggest he's a better receiver than Burkhead. If anything, Burkhead seems like he has more reliable hands.

I like Lewis a lot, but if someone offers up a starting-quality LB or DL in exchange for him, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

White looks like a totally different guy than he did his rookie year. Much more confidence running the ball and looks a little stronger. His improvement over the past year is very noticeable. Definitely the best overall back they have though I think Burkhead is more talented - he just lacks the experience in the system. 

Lewis made one good play the other night where he broke those couple of tackles which I was even surprised he did. I've thought he's done from last year and am a bit surprised he made the team. But yeah, I agree that he's more valuable to the Patriots than anyone else. He's not going anywhere probs. 

I'm in the minority here in terms of my opinion of Lewis. I've always liked him as a runner and a receiver. Always seems to be able to make that first person miss, and has looked good since coming back from injury. Obviously the Patriots don't agree as he's far down the depth chart, but I'd think it wise to hold off on any trades considering the injuries to offensive skill players.

19 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Looking good coming back from injury like this year? Or are you referring to last year? 

Last year he looked pretty bad compared to 2015

Both. He has looked good to me this season, granting the small sample size / preseason sample size. Having a healthy camp and preseason was important.

Disagree on last year. I thought he looked pretty solid considering he was returning mid-season from multiple surgeries to an injury that greatly affects a back like Lewis. Not as good as 2015, but I didn't have expectations that high. He was key in the win over the Texans.

He has value as a runner, a receiver and a returner. I'd be surprised if the Patriots traded someone away like that considering how highly they value versatility.

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Both. He has looked good to me this season, granting the small sample size / preseason sample size. Having a healthy camp and preseason was important.

Disagree on last year. I thought he looked pretty solid considering he was returning mid-season from multiple surgeries to an injury that greatly affects a back like Lewis. Not as good as 2015, but I didn't have expectations that high. He was key in the win over the Texans.

He has value as a runner, a receiver and a returner. I'd be surprised if the Patriots traded someone away like that considering how highly they value versatility.

Key in the win over the Texans? He almost single handedly lost that game with his two fumbles. He averaged about 3 yards a run. Yes, he had a TD catch but he was a huge reason that game was as close as it was. 

28 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Key in the win over the Texans? He almost single handedly lost that game with his two fumbles. He averaged about 3 yards a run. Yes, he had a TD catch but he was a huge reason that game was as close as it was. 

Fair enough. He lost one fumble, but had three TDs and ran about as well as Blount. Maybe key to the win was too strong, probably as strong as trying to say he almost single handedly lost that game when he had a nice receiving TD and ST TD to open up a two-score lead on HOU in the first place.

My point stands that I think he's versatile with value in multiple areas of the offense and ST.

32 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Fair enough. He lost one fumble, but had three TDs and ran about as well as Blount. Maybe key to the win was too strong, probably as strong as trying to say he almost single handedly lost that game when he had a nice receiving TD and ST TD to open up a two-score lead on HOU in the first place.

My point stands that I think he's versatile with value in multiple areas of the offense and ST.

His fumble was the reason that the Texans were able to cut it to a 1 point Patriots lead.

On the drive where the Pats pushed the lead to 2 scores, Lewis had 1 run for 4 yards. For the entire 3rd quarter, he had 2 rushes for 8 yards. In the 4th quarter, he had 5 runs for 18 yards, 1 TD and 1 Fumble (recovered by Thuney). His TD was a 1 yard run after the Logan Ryan INT set the team up inside the 10 yard line. When the game was close and the outcome in doubt (in large part due to his fumble), he put up a whole 7 rushes for 26 yards. Not exactly a superb performance.

Yeah, he had a role in getting the Pats their 1st quarter points (he did have both TD's) but saying he was key to winning that game or that performance shows that he was playing well is really misguided. He looked like a shell of his 2015 self. The KR TD was his best play of the year, and probably the only play he made that White couldn't/wouldn't have, but he negated that by fumbling inside the 10 on the very next time he touched the ball

Ultimately, I want the Pats to keep him for now given their current depth issues. But this is his 7th year in the NFL and he's had one six game stretch of above replacement level play and that was 2 years and a major knee surgery ago. Lewis, if he's at last year's level, is less valuable than White and Burkhead, without a doubt. He can return kicks better than those guys, but he's not a very good KR (21.2 career average) and his durability and ball security issues make him a poor fit for the go-to KR.

Archived