What happened to Favre in 07’ and 09’?

DirtyDez

In 2005 & 2006 Favre was awful and probably not a top-20 QB.  Those two years combined: 38 TD/47 INT, 71 QB-rating, 6.4/YPA, 18 Fumbles.

In 2007 & 2009 he had arguably two of his top-5 regular seasons and won a playoff game each year.  Was it a fresh restart after retiring, upgraded supporting cast, TB12 diet?

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Just had some bad years. It happens, especially with a gunslinger type like him.

Still made the divisional playoffs and wild card game both years. 

I used to not appreciate Favre as a player the older I get the more I appreciate him.

I wonder if in his bad years if he tried to do too much because he had the emotional intelligence to know where the roster and team was at. Or is that over thinking Brett Favre ?

20 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

They went like 4-12 or something.  Did not make the playoffs.

They were 4-12, 8-8. I miss read it my theory in 05 and 06 are the roster wasn't that great(rebuild) especially 05. That's why they drafted Aaron Rodgers. 

And truth be told Front offices are hesitant to add high end talent to to a roster with an older qb via free agency.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

They were 4-12, 8-8. I miss read it my theory in 05 and 06 are the roster wasn't that great(rebuild) especially 05. That's why they drafted Aaron Rodgers. 

And truth be told Front offices are hesitant to add high end talent to to a roster with an older qb via free agency.

He probably did try to do too much.  He's bad about that at times, even when the teams weren't garbage.  Having Rodgers on the bench probably lit a fire under him too. 

• Like 1

From 1998 to 2006, Favre threw 232 TDs and 178 INTs. He rushed for 3 TDs and fumbled 79 times. If we assume he lost half of those fumbles, he had a TD/TO splits of 235/212.

That's a ratio of 1.1:1

The short answer is that Favre's career after those 3 MVP years is highly overrated.

In 2006 he hated McCarthy's offense. He was used to being able to call his own plays and run the offense his way. He rebelled hard.

In 2007, he followed orders and ran the offense as it was intended to be run with minimal improvisation and maximum complaining and bitching. 

In 2008 he was on a talentless NYJ offense.

In 2009 he was on a pretty talented Vikings offense that didn't require him to shoulder so much of a burden.

In 2010 the wheels fell off the wagon. He was 41

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

From 1998 to 2006, Favre threw 232 TDs and 178 INTs. He rushed for 3 TDs and fumbled 79 times. If we assume he lost half of those fumbles, he had a TD/TO splits of 235/212.

The short answer is that Favre's career after those 3 MVP years is highly overrated.

In 2006 he hated McCarthy's offense. He was used to being able to call his own plays and run the offense his way. He rebelled hard.

In 2007, he followed orders and ran the offense as it was intended to be run with minimal improvisation and maximum complaining and bitching. 

In 2009 he was on a pretty talented Vikings offense that didn't require him to shoulder so much of a burden.

Naw the 2008 Jets team wasn't talentless. he was backed by a very good defense, an all-pro special teamer, and one of the best RBs that year with Thomas Jones. He messed up his shoulder that's why he faded in the 2nd half of the season. They were 8-3 before he torn his bicep. He threw 9 INT to 2 TD those last 5 games.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1994 to 1997 Favre was a joy to watch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Malik said:

Naw the 2008 Jets team wasn't talentless. he was backed by a very good defense, an all-pro special teamer, and one of the best RBs that year with Thomas Jones. He messed up his shoulder that's why he faded in the 2nd half of the season. They were 8-3 before he torn his bicep. He threw 9 INT to 2 TD those last 5 games.

"In 2008 he was on a talentless NYJ offense."

Thomas Jones was an awesome back made that offense functional for awhile.  Still was devoid of talent. 

Edited by thebestever6

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

"In 2008 he was on a talentless NYJ offense."

Thomas Jones was an awesome back made that offense functional for awhile.  Still was devoid of talent. 

He had an offensive line with Mangold, Faneca, Ferguson, and Woody. Jericho Cotchery and Lavernous Coles were decent to average receivers. He could have had better receiving options, but he wasn't out there working miracles.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Malik said:

Jericho Cotchery and Lavernous Coles were decent to average receivers. He could have had better receiving options, but he wasn't out there working miracles.

I felt like Coles was past his prime that's why the jets moved on from him after that year. And Cotchery was a 3 on a championship level team, but we all see works of art differently.  

I never said old man Favre was Rus Wilson to an offense at that age. They were right to move on from players on that offense after that year Favre included. 

Edited by thebestever6