Rumor: OJ Howard on the trade block?

bucsfan333

8 minutes ago, indifference said:

Use him! He’s 6’5 with 4.44 speed and most DBs are scared to tackle a man that large. He should be killing these linebackers in coverage. 

Aye. He should be running around and past LBs and physically abusing safeties. 

But he blocks.

1 hour ago, indifference said:

Use him! He’s 6’5 with 4.44 speed and most DBs are scared to tackle a man that large. He should be killing these linebackers in coverage. 

exactly

i dont care if he drops more passes, he needs to get his confidence up, FEED HIM

its not like we have a 3rd wideout, and ppl are going to key in on Evans and Godwin

just throw OJ the ball

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

exactly

i dont care if he drops more passes, he needs to get his confidence up, FEED HIM

its not like we have a 3rd wideout, and ppl are going to key in on Evans and Godwin

just throw OJ the ball

Put OJ out wide with MIke and Godwin in the slot **** it...   lmao    

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This deserves a bump.  They have to designate his 5 th yr option this offseason.  To call him underwhelming is fair.  He wasn t under utilized this season, he just wasn t that good.  

He s a great athlete, who looks stiff as a board trying to catch the ball.  In one play, McElroy looked more fluid catching the ball then Howard ever did this season.

Listening to PR podcast, Auclair went in for surgery for turf toe.  Not good.  Cam can t come back at his salary.  I can see Howard may be used as a piece to move up a couple of slots in the first rd.  I just don t see him being a lock to make the roster because of the 5 th yr option and potential for inj.  Going to be an interesting offseason for OJ.

Edited by ravishingone
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ravishingone said:

This deserves a bump.  They have to designate his 5 th yr option this offseason.  To call him underwhelming is fair.  He wasn t under utilized this season, he just wasn t that good.  

He s a great athlete, who looks stiff as a board trying to catch the ball.  In one play, McElroy looked more fluid catching the ball then Howard ever did this season.

Listening to PR podcast, Auclair went in for surgery for turf toe.  Not good.  Cam can t come back at his salary.  I can see Howard may be used as a piece to move up a couple of slots in the first rd.  I just don t see him being a lock to make the roster because of the 5 th yr option and potential for inj.  Going to be an interesting offseason for OJ.

Unless its for at least a 2nd I say keep him, it's hard to find a good blocking TE with his reciever potential. Let Brate go, keep OJ and Hudson and a backup.

13 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Unless its for at least a 2nd I say keep him, it's hard to find a good blocking TE with his reciever potential. Let Brate go, keep OJ and Hudson and a backup.

What s interesting is if he is kept, could we see another VHIII situation?  Where it becomes obvious they don t want to pay him his 5th yr option, so they can t play him.

The potential word is getting concerning.  He can t run the entire route tree as evidenced by 2 coaching staffs.  His hands are so suspect having him as an outlet to try and get a first down in traffic is a concern.  

Edited by ravishingone

3 hours ago, ravishingone said:

What s interesting is if he is kept, could we see another VHIII situation?  Where it becomes obvious they don t want to pay him his 5th yr option, so they can t play him.

The potential word is getting concerning.  He can t run the entire route tree as evidenced by 2 coaching staffs.  His hands are so suspect having him as an outlet to try and get a first down in traffic is a concern.  

Then we should have just traded him to the Pat's

That 2nd for sanu would hv been ours

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Then we should have just traded him to the Pat's

That 2nd for sanu would hv been ours

Well, remember this is yr 1 with the staff.  Better to make that decision with a full seasom as opposed to what like 7 games.  The VHIII departure was based upon ability and hustle.  I don t doubt OJ plays hard.  The question is can his ability to improve his route running and ability to catch.  I think having more info involving a full season will make that decision clearer.

OJ doesn't need an entire route tree. He just needs ins/outs, posts, seam routes, crossing routes; things like that.

He doesn't need to run double moves and jerk routes.

As for his hands, I dunno. Like Rojo last year, it could be a confidence thing. Put him on the jugs machine and work with him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

OJ doesn't need an entire route tree. He just needs ins/outs, posts, seam routes, crossing routes; things like that.

He doesn't need to run double moves and jerk routes.

As for his hands, I dunno. Like Rojo last year, it could be a confidence thing. Put him on the jugs machine and work with him. 

He needs to be reliable with his hands running stop routes sitting down in zone coverage, which every starting TE needs to do for an effective offense.  Quite frankly. he has shown none of that.  Sure he has good long speed, but how many TEs in the history of the league only excel at deep crossers, wheel routes, and seam patterns.  Even when he runs those routes, him trying to adjust his body while trying to catch the ball looks stiff and awkward.  I hope that can get better, but I m not sure.  Those type of routes OJ runs are usually always over 10 yds, expecting any Qb to throw the ball completely in stride all the time from those distances just isn t realistic.  The receiver has to help the QB.  

He s in the same boat as Jameis for me.  Would nt shock me in any direction they go with him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

He needs to be reliable with his hands running stop routes sitting down in zone coverage, which every starting TE needs to do for an effective offense.  Quite frankly. he has shown none of that.  Sure he has good long speed, but how many TEs in the history of the league only excel at deep crossers, wheel routes, and seam patterns.  Even when he runs those routes, him trying to adjust his body while trying to catch the ball looks stiff and awkward.  I hope that can get better, but I m not sure.  Those type of routes OJ runs are usually always over 10 yds, expecting any Qb to throw the ball completely in stride all the time from those distances just isn t realistic.  The receiver has to help the QB.  

He s in the same boat as Jameis for me.  Would nt shock me in any direction they go with him.

Yea..   its a weird phenomenon but he is just one of those guys who are a ridiculous athlete in a straight line and thats it lol.   

Every one was wondering what happened at Alabama but maybe they knew he couldn't do certain things so that's why they always had him blocking and wasn't a staple of their offense.

• Like 1

I bet him to score a TD on Saturday with Godwin and Evans out. First full Bucs game besides the one vs. the Rams I watched and OJ was mostly used for blocking. One bad play was the deep ball in 1 on 1 coverage he had that hit his forearm; would of been a TD if he looked back earlier.

Realistically, what could you fetch for him on the open market? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I bet him to score a TD on Saturday with Godwin and Evans out. First full Bucs game besides the one vs. the Rams I watched and OJ was mostly used for blocking. One bad play was the deep ball in 1 on 1 coverage he had that hit his forearm; would of been a TD if he looked back earlier.

Realistically, what could you fetch for him on the open market? 

I would assume a second rd pick in the top half of the rd.  Or used as a chip to move up between 5-8 spots in the first round to grab a prospect top 3 on their draft board that has fallen somewhat close to their pick 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I would assume a second rd pick in the top half of the rd.  Or used as a chip to move up between 5-8 spots in the first round to grab a prospect top 3 on their draft board that has fallen somewhat close to their pick 

I wouldn't even go that far.  I am sure that's what the Bucs would take a 2nd  but I believe he's worth about a 3-4th rounder.  I believe OJ can turn it around but it will be up to him to put in the work and do it.  He can't just get by on his physical traits like he did for so long in HS and College.

• Like 1