49ER LEGEND APPRECIATION THREAD

N4L

Who is your all time favorite 49er?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite 49er?

• Joe Montana
    • Jerry Rice
    • Steve Young
    • Ronnie Lott
    • Pat Willis
    • Navarro Bowman
    • Tom Rathman
    • T.O.
    • Frank Gore
    • Justin Smith
    • Joe Staley
    • OTHER

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If it wasn't enough to hold him out of the HOF for two years, some how TO doesn't make the All NFL 100 team. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. 

Looks like the NFL got the last laugh after all :)

Oh well. If I could pick an All Time Team, Owens would be one of the receivers. Either him or Calvin Johnson. 

Edited by PapaShogun

1985 Week 12 Seattle Seahawks (6-5) at San Francisco 49ers (6-5)

MNF inter-conference game between two teams fighting for a playoff spot. The Seahawks are third in the AFC West behind the 8-4 Chargers and Raiders. Meanwhile the 49ers trailing the 9-3 Rams. 

This game was pretty forgettable. The 49ers won, but mostly because the Seahawks offensively were so horrible that the 49ers could afford to sleepwalk through the first half, which is what they did. San Francisco turned the ball over three times in the first quarter, and didn't give up any points. They would have 4 turnovers in total compared to the Seahawks 1, but still led the game 19-0 until the final minutes. The only reason Seattle even got on the board is due to a blocked punt in the endzone. Dave Kreig was so bad with his passes, that the Seahawks essentially had no chance. Curt Warner had some tough yards on the ground, but nothing spectacular. 13 penalties didn't help matters either. The Seahawk defense played reasonably well, but with eventually folded with after receiving no support from the other side. 

Something noteworthy is that Dwight Clark broke the single season reception record, and yardage record for the 49ers franchise up to that point. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Montana, Lott, Rice, and Walsh were the representatives for the NFL 100 team. Deion also if you want to count him.

Hopefully Jimmy is on the 150th team har har.

Rod Woodson and Randy Moss as well!!! 

But yeah, only the first four you listed were known as Niners. 

1993 Week 17 Houston Oilers (10-4) at San Francisco 49ers (10-4)

Saturday, December 25th

Could you imagine a team in the final couple of weeks, vying for home field advantage in the playoffs, pulling their starting quarterback in the middle of a tight game in the second half? Well, it actually happened. The 90's had some nutty stuff happen in games at times, that would not be as well received today. The Oilers and 49ers were both in the thick of trying to get HFA in their respective conferences. Houston was largely in a race with the Bills (who they already lost to), Chiefs, with the Dolphins, Raiders, Steelers, and Broncos in the mix. They rode a 9 game winning streak into Candlestick Park after a disastrous 1-4 start. The 49ers were in the race for top dog in the NFC against Dallas/NY Giants, and the Lions. They had lost to Dallas, but already beat the Lions the previous week (while also clinching the division). The chances were slim to get the number one seed (one of the three division winners would pounce on it), but still there. This was the only game played on Christmas, with the rest of the NFL action set to follow the next day on Sunday. I think this was the last time the 49ers played on Christmas day. Maybe it was the only time. I do remember the Oilers playing another time on Christmas in 2004 against Denver, but that was when they had already become Tennessee. 

Anyway, the game was a tight contest the entire afternoon. Both teams turned the ball over 3 times, and Houston had a 10-0 lead going into halftime. In the third quarter with 3:33 remaining in the game, 49ers head coach George Seifert pulled Steve Young, and replaced him with Steve Bono. Steve was under duress a good amount of the day, and the passing game was out of sync all afternoon. Still, there was an entire quarter left to play with the Oilers hanging on to a 10-0 lead. Apparently Seifert had decided mid-week he would only play Young for a half heading into this game, but Young didn't get the memo. He wasn't thrilled with the decision. Replacment Steve Bono did lead the squad to their only score of the game with a touchdown pass to halfback Amp Lee on a dumpoff in the redzone. Still, the 49ers couldn't stop running back Gary Brown in the final minutes for Houston. He had a great day killing the 49ers on the ground for over 100 yards, and milking the clock in the final 6 minutes of the 4th. QB Warren Moon was also pulled for Cody Carlson in the 4th quarter late after Moon landed on the ground from a hard hit. He bruised his ribs, and so coach Jack Pardee had him sit during the final crucial drive to try and wrap the game up. Houston won the game 10-7, and their next game, and got the number one seed in the AFC playoffs. However, they choked at home to the underdog Chiefs which ended the 7 straight year run of the Oilers making the playoffs. They didn't make a championship game appearance in that span. The 49ers dropped this game, and next. They ended up as the second seed with a 10-6 record, but fell to Dallas in the championship game for the second straight year. 

All in all, good defensive game between two of the better teams of the early 90's. Chris Dishman, an often forgotten corner who had a decent career, had a great game in this one. Had some great coverage on Jerry Rice.

Just guessing, but today might be the final regular season game for Frank Gore. Last week he only played two offensive snaps. His production has been minimal before that. And he's an ancient 36 year-old running back. 

I'd never doubt him if he wanted to keep going, but I think this could be it.

On 2019-12-29 at 11:46 AM, y2lamanaki said:

Just guessing, but today might be the final regular season game for Frank Gore. Last week he only played two offensive snaps. His production has been minimal before that. And he's an ancient 36 year-old running back. 

I'd never doubt him if he wanted to keep going, but I think this could be it.

Jed should invite him to watch the Superbowl from his suite. I doubt he'll be playing. But he deserves to be a part of this. I'm getting ahead of myself, but I just can't wait for Frank to come home.

• Like 1

Charles Haley turned 56 today. Great player. Sucks he had to be traded. At least he shouldn't have been dealt to an up and comer like Dallas. I heard a few years ago that Seifert didn't want to deal him to the Vikings, because he thought that would set the team over the edge in the NFC. Who knows now, but if Haley was able to get his issues under control 49ers maybe have multiple 90s rings instead of one. Aye.

5.-14.jpg

Edited by PapaShogun

29 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Sucks. Thought he surely would make it this year.

>:(   BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And they call themselves a "Hall of Fame". Which RB was the 1st to get 1,000 rush & receiving yards both in the same year?! Only part of a revolutionizing offense in football--a KEY part, but not a "Famer"?!

1998 NFC Wild Card 

Green Bay Packers (11-5) at San Francisco 49ers (12-4)

Sunday Jan 3, 1999

1998 NFC Wild Card 

Green Bay Packers (11-5) at San Francisco 49ers (12-4)

Sunday Jan 3, 1999

It took 5 straight losses in 4 years, including 3 straight postseason bounces, but the 49ers finally beat the Packers of the mid to late 90's. A lot of people talk about how Steve Young and the 49ers in the earlier part of the decade couldn't overcome Dallas, but to me the bigger menace was Green Bay. After winning Super Bowl 29, this was the team that the 49ers just could never move past. It was getting ridiculous. And even in this game they had to win it in the final seconds, when it really wasn't necessary (Owens and his dropped passes killed the 49ers this game). Even though the 49ers were eliminated next week in Atlanta, this game didn't make the loss feel so bad. 49ers wouldn't beat the Packers again until 2012 as nutty as that sounds. 

It took 5 straight losses in 4 years, including 3 straight postseason bounces, but the 49ers finally beat the Packers of the mid to late 90's. A lot of people talk about how Steve Young and the 49ers in the earlier part of the decade couldn't overcome Dallas, but to me the bigger menace was Green Bay. After winning Super Bowl 29, this was the team that the 49ers just could never move past. It was getting ridiculous. And even in this game they had to win it in the final seconds, when it really wasn't necessary (Owens and his dropped passes killed the 49ers this game). Even though the 49ers were eliminated next week in Atlanta, this game didn't make the loss feel so bad. 49ers wouldn't beat the Packers again until 2012 as nutty as that sounds. 

Edited by PapaShogun

• 3 months later...

Pro Football Outsiders just released their 1985 DVOA season commentary. I liked this comment from one of the users in the comment section:

The 49ers' third-place DVOA ranking continues their run of top-3 rankings. Starting in 1998 and going backward, they finished 3, 4, 2, 1, 3, 2, 2, 2, 7, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, and they will almost certainly be #1 or #2 in 1984 and likely top 3 in 1983 (WAS will be 1st but SF was 2nd in SRS) as well. That is an absurd run of dominance. Not even the Brady/Belichick Patriots come anywhere close.

If you want to read the rest about the 1985 season in the NFL, here you go:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2020/1985-dvoa-ratings-and-commentary

• Like 2

1985 Week 3 San Francisco 49ers (1-1) at LA Raiders (1-1)

Sunday Sep 22, 1985

Start Time: 4:00pm

Stadium: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

I collect old NFL games, and as a 49ers fan this one has eluded me for a long, long time. I wasn't sure if I'd ever get to see it. Then by a miracle someone posted it a couple weeks back. This was the *** whooping the 49ers gave the Raiders back in week 3 of the 1985 season. Big time matchup between the Super Bowl champions of the last two years. There is a great SI article written by Paul Zimmerman after this game happened. Raiders were flat out embarrassed mentally, and physically in their own house. Raiders DE Howie Long was so ticked at getting leg whipped over and over, he wanted to go and fight OL coach Bob McKittrick in the tunnel after the game:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1985/09/30/and-now-they-know-how-it-feels

Jim Plunkett got knocked out in the 4th with the game already out of reach, and Marc Wilson came in not faring any better. Raiders quarterbacks got sacked 9 times combined that day. Dwaine Board (who NEVER gets enough credit as a contributor in the glory days) had 4 of the sacks himself. Montana was sharp with two TDs, and rookie Jerry Rice had nearly 100 yards receiving. Great win.

Anyway, it's the offseason, and with the future of the NFL in unknown territory, might be good to get invested in some old games if you have time assuming you're interested in the first place. This might not be on YouTube for long, so might want to download it before it's dust in the wind to watch for later.