49ER LEGEND APPRECIATION THREAD

N4L

Who is your all time favorite 49er?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite 49er?

• Joe Montana
    • Jerry Rice
    • Steve Young
    • Ronnie Lott
    • Pat Willis
    • Navarro Bowman
    • Tom Rathman
    • T.O.
    • Frank Gore
    • Justin Smith
    • Joe Staley
    • OTHER

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Sucks McVay passed away. Didn't seem cut out to be a head coach, but damn that guy knew how to acquire talent. Vital part of the 49ers dynasty era. 

91 years old. That's a good, long life. Even got to see his grandson hoist a lombardi. 

• Like 6

This is one of my favorite games from the 1990's. The 12-2 49ers hosting the 11-3 Broncos. Two big time squads competing for the Super Bowl, not in conference, going up each other during the homeward stretch of the season. 49ers brass were also retiring Joe Montana's jersey that night in addition to Jerry Rice coming back from an ACL tear just a couple of months prior. Rice ended up getting reinjured after scoring a TD, but the 49ers still rolled despite 11 total penalties in addition to falling into an 10-0 hole to start. It's a shame the 49ers couldn't get past the Packers in the NFC title game. This was a big-time defensive unit with Rod Woodson and Kevin Greene spending a year there. Don't know how the rematch with the Broncos would have went, but I would have liked our chances. Ah well. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought this was considered "lost media" for a while. I have all of the 49ers Yearbooks from 1981 to 1999 other than 1982, and 1997. Someone recently uploaded the 1997 49ers Yearbook on YouTube. Thought I'd never see it. Was great to look back at a stellar campaign that just fell short of reaching the Super Bowl. 49ers went 13-3 despite an opening day scare with Jerry Rice lost for most of the year, and Steve Young suffering a concussion on opening day in new 49ers' head coach Steve Mariucci's debut. All in all good times. When you see Terrell Owens dumping water on Steve Mariucci in a jovial manner, it's definitely the glory days. Speaking of Mooch, I know he was up and down results-wise, but I always loved his energy compared to George. Didn't feel phoney either. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

• 2 weeks later...