Tuitt Re-Signed

MOSteelers56

8 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Cya Bell...

If Haden plays well this year, they have very little cap room next year.Tuitt and Bell were their only big time free agents next offseason.

Good deal regardless.

I think they'll choose Bell over Haden even if Haden balls this year. I believe we have $7m of dead money coming off next year.

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think they'll choose Bell over Haden even if Haden balls this year. I believe we have $7m of dead money coming off next year.

They have $11 mill in cap room as of now next offseason(if they factored in expected rise of salary cap)...they need $5-6 mill for draft and class and like $2-3 mill for in season emergencies...plus probably another mill or 2 for bonuses players will receive for plays, stats etc etc this season.

Thry have a few obvious guys like Gay...maybe Mitchell...Golden...they can cut.

But overall...Haden's play this season will determine a lot next offseason.

This seems to be a dream off-season for myself as a Steeler fan.

Heading into the offseason I wanted to upgrade the Corner position & pass rush. We seemed to miss on a CB in free agency as many got top dollar, which I commended us for not giving 10+ million to a guy like Logan Ryan or Kirkpatrick. In the draft we got MY GUY, a true ball player, a guy who I think is the most ideal Steeler since Heyward, in TJ Watt. We luck out and get a potential top 10 CB when healthy in joe Haden, who may not get back to the level he once played out but I'm confident he'll be a HUGE upgrade over Cockrell. And lastly, we extended the 24 year old monster, Stephon Tuitt for the next 6 seasons. This goes without mentioned adding McDonald and getting Villanueva for a bargain. Only downfall is how the Bell situation panned out. However, I think we are in the best position to contend with New England than ever before. Let get the season rolling boys! Love my Steelers footballsfuture Commrads.

Wow...thats more than I thought Tuitt would get.

Not upset though.   Our trenches secure for awhile now, and Tuitt is borderline elite when playing at his best.    Maybe even better than Heyward, who is borderline elite himself.

Just wish we used them to attack more...especially with Hargrave in the middle.  Stop using them like we used Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel.  

As far as what this means for Bell and Shazier....

I think the writing is on the wall for Bell.  While its disappointing, I am never big on paying RBs huge money...and he wants a crazy amount.   Even for as good as he is, between his antics off the field and him getting hurt at key times, I cant justify paying him what he seemingly wants.  

Shazier...he needs to stay healthy and show more consistency.   As good as he CAN be, Im still not sold on him getting a huge long term deal.

Tuitt was the safest bet IMO, and honestly, wouldve been my first choice to get a new contract out of these 3.

Always thought I would have a hard time rooting for Tuiit since he went to Notre Dame.  But I don't.  He does his 91 jersey more than justice.  I'm so excited what this defense could be if we are able to keep this core together.  I just have no understanding of salary caps and what not and I find it hard to believe we can afford to keep all these young talents and stay successful unless we manage to strike gold on a cheap young quarterback after Ben.  I hate the thought of losing Shazier after seeing glimpses of what he could become.

1 hour ago, grubs10 said:

Always thought I would have a hard time rooting for Tuiit since he went to Notre Dame.  But I don't.  He does his 91 jersey more than justice.  I'm so excited what this defense could be if we are able to keep this core together.  I just have no understanding of salary caps and what not and I find it hard to believe we can afford to keep all these young talents and stay successful unless we manage to strike gold on a cheap young quarterback after Ben.  I hate the thought of losing Shazier after seeing glimpses of what he could become.

I don't think we lose Shazier. I always have uber confidence in Colbert, especially after some of the deals he's managed to work the last few years. However I'm not as confident about Bell. Taking Connor in round 3 may have been a smart move after all. 

Archived