Tuitt Re-Signed

MOSteelers56

14 minutes ago, waffles7 said:

I don't think we lose Shazier. I always have uber confidence in Colbert, especially after some of the deals he's managed to work the last few years. However I'm not as confident about Bell. Taking Connor in round 3 may have been a smart move after all. 

No chance they don't re-sign Shazier unless he's hurt.  

Bell may have priced himself off the team.  Shame, he could have been special on a legendary team, now he'll just one of the guys who chased money somewhere else to find out that it's not worth what you gave up.  But he's high on success right now.  That will fade away.  

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

As far as what this means for Bell and Shazier....

I think the writing is on the wall for Bell.  While its disappointing, I am never big on paying RBs huge money...and he wants a crazy amount.   Even for as good as he is, between his antics off the field and him getting hurt at key times, I cant justify paying him what he seemingly wants.  

Shazier...he needs to stay healthy and show more consistency.   As good as he CAN be, Im still not sold on him getting a huge long term deal.

Tuitt was the safest bet IMO, and honestly, wouldve been my first choice to get a new contract out of these 3.

Losing Shazier would be killer IMO.  When healthy, he's shown to be arguably our biggest splash maker on defense and the ability to be a top 10 defensive player in the league.  I haven't seen many linebackers take over a game like him  

Losing bell would suck horribly but there's no way we can justify paying a RB 15 million a season for an extended period of time.  Will be interesting to see who we end up losing

10 hours ago, Steelers22 said:

Losing Shazier would be killer IMO.  When healthy, he's shown to be arguably our biggest splash maker on defense and the ability to be a top 10 defensive player in the league.  I haven't seen many linebackers take over a game like him  

Losing bell would suck horribly but there's no way we can justify paying a RB 15 million a season for an extended period of time.  Will be interesting to see who we end up losing

???

Shazier is really really good when he is playing at the top of his game, but he isnt always playing at that level.  Plus he is banged up too much.

Id like to keep him, but Im not excited about paying him $10m a year AT THIS POINT.   2017 may change my mind....but thats how I feel right now.  

21 hours ago, waffles7 said:

This seems to be a dream off-season for myself as a Steeler fan.

Heading into the offseason I wanted to upgrade the Corner position & pass rush. We seemed to miss on a CB in free agency as many got top dollar, which I commended us for not giving 10+ million to a guy like Logan Ryan or Kirkpatrick. In the draft we got MY GUY, a true ball player, a guy who I think is the most ideal Steeler since Heyward, in TJ Watt. We luck out and get a potential top 10 CB when healthy in joe Haden, who may not get back to the level he once played out but I'm confident he'll be a HUGE upgrade over Cockrell. And lastly, we extended the 24 year old monster, Stephon Tuitt for the next 6 seasons. This goes without mentioned adding McDonald and getting Villanueva for a bargain. Only downfall is how the Bell situation panned out. However, I think we are in the best position to contend with New England than ever before. Let get the season rolling boys! Love my Steelers footballsfuture Commrads.

I was about as negative about the FO as anyone here, but they really got their act together.  Haden is the key, if he allows us to play press, then we might have a chance if the front can get pressure. If Bell gets hurt and we win it all, then he will be playing somewhere else most likely.  Still a problem with scheme though, and if they stay with zones, then all was a waste because we know how that ends.

They could pick up money quite easily with expendables such as Foster, McCullers, Golden gone. 

Of course if Ben and James retire this decision becomes a whole lot easier. If Ben retires that's almost $11million saved. Heck, I might even try the "Tom Brady" trick if he does return. Add two more "dummy years" to his contract where you basically guarantee most the 2018 salary to him in exchange for moving his base salary to a later year so if he retires you save a bunch of cap. 

Archived