Give me one good reason why the Panthers shouldn't at least try to trade Cam Newton

Apparition

He's on the wrong side of 30 and clearly regressing as a QB because he's not much of a threat to make plays with his legs anymore. He's also been injury-prone the last few years, and the team has actually done considerably better without him than with. 

And he's about to enter the last year of his contract, which means the Panthers would have very little dead money on the books if they do trade him.

I don't think that anyone would. We were talking about it in the GDT. I think its probably time. May not happen in season (may be in everyone's best interest to wait until the off season), but given that the Panthers have no idea how much longer that they can commit to him anyway, potentially have at least a cheap stopgap in place with Kyle Allen (who they can surround with more talent given the money they'd save from Newton), it's probably just time. 

* Was arrested for stealing a laptop in college; charges dropped when he agreed to a "diversion" program!

Image result for Cam Newton steals laptop

* Irresistible home-baked smile!

Image result for Cam Newton

* Made humorous remarks about woman reporter asking about "routes", which was interpreted as sexist.

Image result for Cam Newton sexit remarks about woman reporter

*Best QB ever to come out of Blinn College

* Lost Superbowl and sulked at press conference

Image result for cam newton sulking at press conference

*Used to do "The Dab"

Image result for Cam Newton The Dab

*Stylish and sexy wardrobe

Image result for Cam Newton wardrobe

*Once- 2015, just 4 short years ago!- had an MVP season, which he may, one of these years, repeat again!

*Best Donnie-Thornberry hairstyle in the NFL!!

Image result for Cam Newton
Image result for donnie thornberry
Edited by bzane
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Starless said:

the team has actually done considerably better without him than with. 

I mean, we were 11-5 in 2017 and 6-2 in 2018 before he got hurt.  So it isn’t like we weren’t good with him.  We just lost a bunch of close games at the end of last year because he was hurt.  

Not that you don’t have a point.  We have to explore all options, but I don’t agree with the implication we’re suddenly better without a healthy Cam.  We’ve always been good.

Edited by iknowcool

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean, we were 11-5 in 2017 and 6-2 in 2018 before he got hurt.  So it isn’t like we weren’t good with him.  We just lost a bunch of close games at the end of last year because he was hurt.  

Not that you don’t have a point.  We have to explore all options, but I don’t agree with the implication we’re suddenly better without a healthy Cam.  We’ve always been good.

I'm talking recently. Cam has lost his last 8 starts, with the team averaging 22.1 points scored in those games. Meanwhile Kyle Allen is 4-0 with the team averaging 31.25 points in his starts.

Obviously there are other factors at play, but I think it's obvious that injuries have led Cam to a place where he's no longer nearly as effective as he once was, while Allen appears to have at least some kind of future in the NFL. 

51 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don’t think anyone would argue Newton is now a bad QB, or even incapable of making a SB, the question is more about resource allocation.

Even if Newton is actually a better all round player, the fact is Allen is playing at a comparable level...but on an UDFA contract. Even if they 10x his salary after trading Cam, that’s a lot of saved money that can go to other areas of need.

5 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I don’t think anyone would argue Newton is now a bad QB, or even incapable of making a SB, the question is more about resource allocation.

Even if Newton is actually a better all round player, the fact is Allen is playing at a comparable level...but on an UDFA contract. Even if they 10x his salary after trading Cam, that’s a lot of saved money that can go to other areas of need.

Oh I definitely agree with you.  LIS, we have to look at everything.  I just thought it was misleading to say we’ve suddenly gotten a lot better with Allen.  We were just as good, if not better, with Cam until he got injured.  I think a completely healthy Cam, in theory, is the best option still.  

But who knows if completely healthy Cam will ever be a thing again

Edited by iknowcool

55 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Oh I definitely agree with you.  LIS, we have to look at everything.  I just thought it was misleading to say we’ve suddenly gotten a lot better with Allen.  We were just as good, if not better, with Cam until he got injured.  I think a completely healthy Cam, in theory, is the best option still.  

But who knows if completely healthy Cam will ever be a thing again

If he doesn't play the rest of this season it might be the best thing that happens to him. With 1 year left in his contract I don't think many teams would trade for him though.