Give me one good reason why the Panthers shouldn't at least try to trade Cam Newton

Apparition

On 10/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, Starless said:

He's on the wrong side of 30 and clearly regressing as a QB because he's not much of a threat to make plays with his legs anymore. He's also been injury-prone the last few years, and the team has actually done considerably better without him than with. 

And he's about to enter the last year of his contract, which means the Panthers would have very little dead money on the books if they do trade him.

Kyle Allen isn’t actually good

1 minute ago, Breesus mode said:

Kyle Allen isn’t actually good

Maybe not, but he's cheap and they're winning with him. 
They don't need to commit to Allen long-term. If he starts losing games for them, they can draft a replacement without being forced to eat a big contract. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Maybe not, but he's cheap and they're winning with him. 
They don't need to commit to Allen long-term. If he starts losing games for them, they can draft a replacement without being forced to eat a big contract. 

Honestly, if Cam is completely broken. The Panthers should move on, but if Cam is healthy he’s 100% the better option.

Just now, Breesus mode said:

Honestly, if Cam is completely broken. The Panthers should move on, but if Cam is healthy he’s 100% the better option.

That's the thing - how do you justify extending him beyond 2020 given how injury-prone he's been, and the fact that he'll be 31 and still relying on being a running threat in lieu of having learned to be a consistent pocket passer?

6 minutes ago, Starless said:

That's the thing - how do you justify extending him beyond 2020 given how injury-prone he's been, and the fact that he'll be 31 and still relying on being a running threat in lieu of having learned to be a consistent pocket passer?

I don’t see what that has to do with this season though.  If you think he’s better than Allen, you have to play him.  Finances aren’t gonna matter until the offseason, and quite frankly this team isn’t in a position to wait and see how the young QB develops.  We have win-now talent considering the age of our team and upcoming expiring contracts.  Rivera and Hurney have their jobs on the line.  In 2019 they have to play the best QB.

IMO you go Cam over Allen until a healthy Cam doesn’t look up to par, or if he gets hurt again.  Then in 2020 you can revisit who would be better financially 

Edited by iknowcool

10 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don’t see what that has to do with this season though.  If you think he’s better than Allen, you have to play him.  Finances aren’t gonna matter until the offseason, and quite frankly this team isn’t in a position to wait and see how the young QB develops.  We have win-now talent considering the age of our team and upcoming expiring contracts.  Rivera and Hurney have their jobs on the line.  In 2019 they have to play the best QB.

Yeah, but the Patriots were in a similar situation in 2001, and I don't think teams should be shy about riding the hot hand for as long as the team continues to benefit, even if it's an unpopular move at the time. Not saying Allen will be Tom Brady by any stretch, but in '01, Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady yet. But he played better within the scheme than Bledsoe did, avoided turnovers, and allowed the team to play better complementary football. I see the same dynamic playing out in Carolina.
If Allen loses 2 or 3 in a row, that's when you give Cam his job back. Until then, you stick with him. 

Edited by Starless

On 10/14/2019 at 11:47 PM, Starless said:

Yeah, but the Patriots were in a similar situation in 2001, and I don't think teams should be shy about riding the hot hand for as long as the team continues to benefit, even if it's an unpopular move at the time. Not saying Allen will be Tom Brady by any stretch, but in '01, Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady yet. But he played better within the scheme than Bledsoe did, avoided turnovers, and allowed the team to play better complementary football. I see the same dynamic playing out in Carolina.
If Allen loses 2 or 3 in a row, that's when you give Cam his job back. Until then, you stick with him. 

It’s not a similar situation unless Kyle Allen leads them to a super bowl victory this year.