Lions @ Packers GDT

diehardlionfan

6 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm not proud of this, but I told my wife before halftime that we weren't going to win the game, that it had that feel to it. She told me not to be negative.

After the game, she admitted it was complete garbage.

They have made this bs sooo obvious..

I said it on the packers last scoring drive before the half.. if the refs are gonna start their bs it's this drive and sure enough.. then I knew it was a rap

• Like 1

I'm just gonna watch to cheer for the refs.

Buy me the jersey... 

I just don't fn know how a call that big is not fn reviewable... my god they are fn game changing calls and everyone on planet earth knows it... this isnt even about being ticky tack with repay... 

Someone in fn ny or wherever their hiding needs to be in the ear of that official and tell him to pick that bs up... is it really that hard

I was out of town for Canadian Thanksgiving and wasn't near a computer until now.

1) You're not going to win a game with 5 FG's in the red zone. This has been an issue for us as of late and it's something that we absolutely need to improve on. We should have been up 21-0 with our foot on the throat of the Packers early. Instead, we settled for FG's on 2/3 trips and were up a measly 13-0.

2) Run Game (Offense and Defense): Coming into the season, the discussion was that the Lions were going to emphasize two things - running the ball and stopping the run. We are really struggling to do either. I'm not sure how you fix it. Is it the OL? Is it our RB's? Teams seem to have had success against us running the ball despite our top 5 against the run finish last year.

With that being said,

The Lions consistently get screwed on bad calls. The Packers get the highest number of yards from opponents penalties; Lions get like half of that and are dead last in that category. Time and again, the phrase "the Lions were robbed" gets used. We get the usual sympathy from fans of other teams and occasionally the league will make a half-hearted apology/explanation. Maybe there should be a system where there's a direct correlation between a blown call/non-call and a W, that it's applied to the other team. When a blown call leads directly on the same drive to a game-winning chip shot field goal, they can overturn the result of the game. Colin Cowherd's solution where everything is reviewable in the last 2 minutes would work.

It's frustrating watching this team week after week, which isn't unusual for us Lions fans. However, it's more so the anti-Lions bias that seems to exist from the refs and the league. Unless they play a perfect game, it's always going to be about settling for field goals and having the refs overturn scores, be extremely sensitive on the completion-incompletion calls, etc.

What I see at this point in the Patricia/Quinn tenure so far - this is a team that is feisty and will give the good teams a hard time. It's also a team that is still in development and is not quite there yet. Teams are taking our concepts, with some film and arguably better rosters and executing them to bring down the big dogs like the Rams and the Chiefs. Patricia is still finding his way as a HC. We're missing a couple guys - speedy WR and pass rusher are two major holes. We could use some help at RB as well but I don't know where you make the cut to do that.

This is a team that could go 9-6-1 and have a shot at a wildcard but likely is on the outside looking in with a promising future next year. I don't see another 6-10 season but I also have trouble seeing us a team that makes it into the playoffs. I hope they prove me very wrong.

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

1) You're not going to win a game with 5 FG's in the red zone. This has been an issue for us as of late and it's something that we absolutely need to improve on. We should have been up 21-0 with our foot on the throat of the Packers early. Instead, we settled for FG's on 2/3 trips and were up a measly 13-0.

See, I just... don't agree. I mean, I clearly want my team to score as many points as possible. I'd much rather have 35 points than 15. I just don't agree that we can't kick FGs and win games. Case in point: this game. If not for a slew of officiating mistakes, there's little doubt that we win this game. Both of their TD drives were extended by questionable calls, while we had offensive drives ended due to poor officiating decisions. Even a 21-0 lead isn't safe from an officiating crew that has their minds made up.

We took shots into the end zone (one TD was dropped), and didn't force what wasn't there. If that means we have to settle for FGs, and are still in control of the game for 60 minutes: so be it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

See, I just... don't agree. I mean, I clearly want my team to score as many points as possible. I'd much rather have 35 points than 15. I just don't agree that we can't kick FGs and win games. Case in point: this game. If not for a slew of officiating mistakes, there's little doubt that we win this game. Both of their TD drives were extended by questionable calls, while we had offensive drives ended due to poor officiating decisions. Even a 21-0 lead isn't safe from an officiating crew that has their minds made up.

We took shots into the end zone (one TD was dropped), and didn't force what wasn't there. If that means we have to settle for FGs, and are still in control of the game for 60 minutes: so be it.

1) Welcome back!

2) I'm talking about this on a regular basis. We are 30th in red zone conversions. We're constantly settling for field goals, which keeps the games close and then things like bad officiating plays a bigger role in the outcome.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

1) Welcome back!

2) I'm talking about this on a regular basis. We are 30th in red zone conversions. We're constantly settling for field goals, which keeps the games close and then things like bad officiating plays a bigger role in the outcome.

Ha, thanks a lot. Point taken, and I can't disagree with 2)... we do need to be more efficient in the red zone in general. I wonder if we'll keep looking to Hockenson on the goal line.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

1) Welcome back!

We are actually 21st in red zone TD conversion.  And that's after this game which hurt those averages a lot.  I know we can be better, but it hasn't been an issue all year.  You are thinking of last year I think.

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We are actually 21st in red zone TD conversion.  And that's after this game which hurt those averages a lot.  I know we can be better, but it hasn't been an issue all year.  You are thinking of last year I think.

I saw something on the broadcast that mentioned the 30th in red zone conversion. I don't look for these things pro-actively but it has felt like we have struggled in the Red Zone this year and the numbers they mentioned didn't seem out of context.

I love Prater and I feel very fortunate that we have had consistency at the K position. He can put points on the board from nearly anywhere on the field. It just feels like the Lions are consistently settling for 3's and then getting into tight games that can go either way. This is going to happen in a league where anyone can win on any given Sunday. We also don't have those blowout wins on the resume this year either. A few catches here and there and we'd be singing a different tune but this is par for the course for this team and the league.

Vikings fan here. Feel really bad for you guys. You should have won ballgame and if there was ever a near perfect description for stealing a game from someone, it was there on Monday Night.

Referee interference, flags/penalties in general are slowly depriving me of intrigue for each football weekend, and last night just shows how bad things have gotten. You guys are better than your record says (not that it's bad anyway) and I look forward to a hard fought game on Sunday. 

May the better team win.

• Like 5