23 members have voted

1. 1. What happens at coaching?

• Freddie
    • Monken
    • Same Time
    • Neither

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's underwhelmed so far.

That's asinine. He is a paid professional and #1 overall pick in the draft who has regressed. Expectations are high and he owns the blame for completely crapping the bed the first 6 games of the season. He was out of shape/chunky after an extended honeymoon, he can't read a defense yet, and has sloppy footwork/pocket presence. He's shown improvement the last 4-5 games before Pittsburgh this past week, but I don't want to hear it. 

When 2nd year QB's like Mahomes and Lamar Jackson are MVP/MVP candidates and have led their team to Super Bowl contention, Baker has ZERO EXCUSES for his abysmal play the first half of the season. This isn't 2007 anymore where we should just automatically treat every rookie/2nd year QB with kid gloves.

Fact: Baker was the #1 overall player/pick in the draft. He's not an underdog anymore. It's time for him to play like it. Right now, Lamar Jackson is everything we expect/hope Baker should be. 10-2, #1 overall team in the NFL, MVP candidate...in his 2nd year, showing tremendous strides from his rookie year to now.

I agree to quite a few points but when you look at Mahomes and Jackson. They have some top tier coaches helping them tho. Freaking Harbs completely blew up and redid his offense to completely benefit his QB. Reid became one of the most innovative offensive coaches to help out Mahomes. Freddie was like that last year but this year, Freddie really tried to solely build the offense around the strengths. He maybe did it for a couple of weeks but a majority of the time he was trying to reinvent the wheel with this offense. Also you look at those franchise. They are well established franchise/team. This franchise is still trying to climb out of the hole of being a complete crap hole

Just now, buno67 said:

I agree to quite a few points but when you look at Mahomes and Jackson. They have some top tier coaches helping them tho. Freaking Harbs completely blew up and redid his offense to completely benefit his QB. Reid became one of the most innovative offensive coaches to help out Mahomes.

I don't disagree with this, but simply giving Baker a free pass on a very underwhelming and disappointing season, writing it off due to coaching is nothing short of ridiculous. He bears as much blame as Freddie.

Freddie didn't make Baker show up out of shape.

Freddie didn't make Baker refuse to work on and improve his footwork.

Freddie didn't make Baker refuse to hit any semblance of a checkdown Weeks 1-7.

Just now, buno67 said:

Freddie was like that last year but this year, Freddie really tried to solely build the offense around the strengths. He maybe did it for a couple of weeks but a majority of the time he was trying to reinvent the wheel with this offense. Also you look at those franchise. They are well established franchise/team. This franchise is still trying to climb out of the hole of being a complete crap hole

I agree in that you can blame Freddie for not seeing his QB's flaws and scheming the playbook accordingly:

*WAY too much empty since our OT's are turnstyles and Baker can't get the ball out quick with presnap reads.

*WAY too much RPO

*Not enough flood concepts to limit Baker to 1/2 field reads the first portion of this season

*Getting in the plays WAY too late

*Not utilizing enough motion concepts to help Baker identify Man vs. Zone presnap

That said, Freddie also probably thought Baker was much further along than he actually is, as did pretty much everyone else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I don't disagree with this, but simply giving Baker a free pass on a very underwhelming and disappointing season, writing it off due to coaching is nothing short of ridiculous. He bears as much blame as Freddie.

Freddie didn't make Baker show up out of shape.

Freddie didn't make Baker refuse to work on and improve his footwork.

Freddie didn't make Baker refuse to hit any semblance of a checkdown Weeks 1-7.

I agree in that you can blame Freddie for not seeing his QB's flaws and scheming the playbook accordingly:

*WAY too much empty since our OT's are turnstyles and Baker can't get the ball out quick with presnap reads.

*WAY too much RPO

*Not enough flood concepts to limit Baker to 1/2 field reads the first portion of this season

*Getting in the plays WAY too late

*Not utilizing enough motion concepts to help Baker identify Man vs. Zone presnap

That said, Freddie also probably thought Baker was much further along than he actually is, as did pretty much everyone else.

I’m not saying it’s all on Baker or that Baker doesn’t deserve the blame. I just think Freddie deserves the greatest amount of it. 

Your comment about refusing to hit the check down early on. I really believe that is on Freddie. I feel like Freddie drilled it into him a lot to look for the big play. It seems like Freddie is always trying to hit the homerun. Dude doesn’t realize smashing doubles will kill some teams. The times we focused on that kind of mentality is when our team looked the best. Running 5step and 7step drops out of shotgun were awful and got our tackles abused but Freddie wanted to hit someone deep. 

we truly don’t know if it’s the development of baker or the horribly constructed scheme. It’s like things that work in a half or in one game, won’t be carried over to the next half or the next game. It’s like Freddie automatically assumes the defenses are going to properly adjust, when really it turns into him screwing himself. 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

When the Head Coach is the Offensive Coordinator and the Offense struggles, players begin to not only lose faith in the offensive coordinator but also the Head Coach. 

This is especially true in the case of first year Head Coaches or first full year OCs. Early and consistent success is vital for the team and offense to believe in the program.

If you're a defender and you hear the Head Coach talking about this or that, but you know the offense doesn't help you out ... it can be tough to buy-in fully. That's even more so the case as an offensive player.

No one on the outside or in the football believes in this offense right now. It's up to Freddie to get buy-in from Odell and the rest of the players and sustain belief for better days ahead.

A lot of us don't see better days ahead with Freddie at the helm. Some of do. If we can't see it in Freddie, imagine what the players think. They look around and see some of the greats in the game and they're wondering why they can't get it done.

We have a crisis with 2 coaches right now imo. 1.) Ryan Lindley who is the QB coach and the Assistant play-caller on game-days with Monken up in the booth. Everyone knows Lindley is Freddie's guy and Lindley curries favor with Baker. Lindley clashed with Landry the week prior and Odell and Higgins this past week. 2.) Freddie the OC.

Somehow someway Freddie and Lindley have to renew hope for better days with the players with the players knowing that they have to be active participants in the teams rescue. 

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 4

Coaches like Mike Tomlin, Kyle Shannahan (ask Hawk and Joe), Ron Rivera, John Harbaugh, and others are also elite at renewing buy-in from players, alleviating concerns, and painting a detailed vision of action moving forward that players can get on-board with.

Jarvis' comments this year have revealed that he had doubts about Freddie as the offensive play caller... other players have been hesitant to express out-right endorsement and belief in Freddie as when reporters asked them about Freddie's job rumors they offered vanilla answers..

When Hue was losing, Joe Thomas and the young players all knew that losing was the plan and that there were brighter days ahead down the road. The vision was self-evident but one that no one could buy or get on-board with (Joe Thomas brokedown crying because of it). 

What's the vision for a brighter future now? Can the players on offense see it clearly and buy-in to Freddie's expertise?

Freddie's biggest challenge yet may be after the season and whether or not he can renew belief and purpose heading into a vital offseason of growth.

Getting on the same page with Odell is important; repairing relationships with players even when a coach or organization doesn't feel like they should have to is part of the job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I hate saying it because I want playoffs. However, missing the playoffs will humble this team and force Freddie to re-evaluate the decisions he’s made.

Yeah these guys needed a slice of humble pie and they got it.

As far as the playoffs, it’s not gonna happen nor do they deserve it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I hate saying it because I want playoffs. However, missing the playoffs will humble this team and force Freddie to re-evaluate the decisions he’s made.

Should.

Nothing so far to indicate that he is particularly good at identifying and correctly defining problems and making necessary corrections, however.

• Like 1

If nothing else, Baker should have a lot of self reflection on what it's going to take for him to be a good QB in the NFL after an absolutely embarrassing 2019 season. It's apparent that he took 2018 for granted, showed up at the beginning of the year out of shape, and regressed badly.

Meanwhile, his counterpart LJ did the opposite in the off-season and is going to win the MVP.

2020 is PUT UP OR SHUT UP TIME for EVERYONE.

4 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Make it or break it for Fred.

3-0 or 2-1 he stays. If we lose garbage games and end up with a losing record, he gone.

Agreed, he already has too many questionable losses, another and he’s done imo, and probably rightfully so.

I want to see some patience from the organization, but he’s gotta show something.