MKE Bucks Thread | Griffin ousted as HC after 43 games; Glenn takes over...no, not that one.

beekay414

I would think that there is a good chance that Portis opts out and Forbes opts in. If Portis opts out the Bucks may not be able to re-sign him. The Bucks have a mid-level exception and the 31st pick in the draft, that might be the only changes to the 2021-2022 roster. IMO

1 hour ago, R T said:

I would think that there is a good chance that Portis opts out and Forbes opts in. If Portis opts out the Bucks may not be able to re-sign him. The Bucks have a mid-level exception and the 31st pick in the draft, that might be the only changes to the 2021-2022 roster. IMO

I get why Portis could opt out.  But dang, after listening to him talk last night and listening to the crowd, I doubt he does.

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get why Portis could opt out.  But dang, after listening to him talk last night and listening to the crowd, I doubt he does.

I hope he opts in. The Bucks won't need to wait long to find out because the Portis decision needs to be made by him by August 1st, so maybe the Championship hangover works in the Bucks favor here.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I need to educate myself on NBA offseasons. I don't know how they work.

I know we traded a ton for Jrue, I imagine there's about zero chance of any splash acquisitions this summer? 

I don't know a lot about the NBA cap or how that stuff works either.

But the front office is aggressive.  Remember, we had Brogdonovic (spelling, sorry) but somehow that deal didn't happen.

I'll bet we find a good veteran who would be willing to chase a ring for year to play with our core.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I need to educate myself on NBA offseasons. I don't know how they work.

I know we traded a ton for Jrue, I imagine there's about zero chance of any splash acquisitions this summer? 

You're in the tax and you guys traded most of your tradeable assets to the Pels for Jrue. You could make a mid tier move like you almost did last year for Bogdan by trading DD and change for someone, but yeah it's practically impossible for you guys to make a big move without trading Jrue/Middleton which... is pretty safe to assume lol.

• Like 1

The Portis domino is the first thing to watch for and is actually kind of important. He is under contract for 3.8M for one year if he opts in, but he is probably looking to capitalize on a multiple year deal after shooting 47% from 3 this past season. If he opts out, probably the only way the Bucks can re-sign him is to use their 5.8M mid-level exception and would not be surprised if that is what his agent is eyeballing. The problem for the Bucks in that scenario is that they lose the 5.8M exception to sign an outside player to add a veteran to strengthen their bench play. 

As others have stated the Bucks do not have much for tradeable assets to make much of a splash. DiVincenzo is one piece that does have some trade value, but personally I would like to see the Bucks keep him because of his upside potential. 

Perfect world, IMHO, would be Portis opting in, the Bucks using the mid-level to add a versatile 4/5 like Kelly Olynyk or a true veteran PG like TJ McConnell (very wishful thinking) to pair with or spell Holiday at times. 

The Bucks also have 2 trade exceptions that they can use before February, so an in season trade or two for a veteran roll player like Tucker is also something to keep in mind as the season goes on.