MKE Bucks Thread | Griffin ousted as HC after 43 games; Glenn takes over...no, not that one.

beekay414

46 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

We better not give Middleton $130m.  

He'd get more on the open market. The conundrum is he's not worth that, but letting him walk without having any way to replace him means Milwaukee will be worse going forward.

Depending on how the free agency for the other top teams in the East goes, locking in this team essentially guarantees them the East every year for the next 3 years.

Edited by seminoles1

10 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He'd get more on the open market. The conundrum is he's not worth that, but letting him walk without having any way to replace him means Milwaukee will be worse going forward.

Depending on how the free agency for the other top teams in the East goes, locking in this team essentially guarantees them the East every year for the next 3 years.

He’s too inconsistent and disappears for months on end.  I’d rather have Horst use that money elsewhere. 

11 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He’s too inconsistent and disappears for months on end.  I’d rather have Horst use that money elsewhere. 

That money can't be used the same way on anyone else. They won't be able to sign a free agent anywhere near as good as Middleton because of the cap implications.

It's either let Middleton walk and use that money to fill out the bench using exceptions (even though Milwaukee's bench is fine) or re-sign him and keep the ball rolling.

Edited by seminoles1

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

That money can't be used the same way on anyone else. They won't be able to sign a free agent anywhere near as good as Middleton because of the cap implications.

Sure but we can use it to retain other important players like Lopez, right?  And when you say anywhere near as good as Middleton that makes me cringe bcuz he’s really not good.  He’s the most frustrating player we’ve had for awhile now.  He’ll get streaky hot and everyone swoons about playoff Middleton and then he can’t make a bucket to save his life like last night.  And that’s on top of how freaking awful he was for a big chunk of the regular season.

I just don’t want him getting a new contract that locks us into maneuverability hell for the next few years.  

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Sure but we can use it to retain other important players like Lopez, right? And when you say anywhere near as good as Middleton that makes me cringe bcuz he’s really not good.  He’s the most frustrating player we’ve had for awhile now.  He’ll get streaky hot and everyone swoons about playoff Middleton and then he can’t make a bucket to save his life like last night.  And that’s on top of how freaking awful he was for a big chunk of the regular season.

I just don’t want him getting a new contract that locks us into maneuverability hell for the next few years.  

The maximum amount of cap space MIL can create is 26.8M. That involves renouncing their rights to Middleton, Hill, Mirotic, Brogdon, and Connaughton. If you want to retain Brogdon's rights, you're at 22.1M. So looking at FA this summer, who can you get for 22-26M? D'Angelo Russell, who isn't helpful. Paul Milsap? Like, what are you doing with that money? The best use of the Bucks money for this iteration of the team, is to bring everyone back, go well over the cap and into the tax, and try and win titles in the next 3 years. You get on your knees and beg Brook Lopez to come back for the taxpayer mid-level.

The Bucks, going forward, have basically no meaningful cap space unless you're just giving up on years entirely. Look at FA in the future years and it is... not good. People just don't like Khris Middleton for whatever reason but the guy is 45/38/87 for his career and 46/46/85 in the playoffs. Also, Middleton's per game numbers look worse this year because he played fewer minutes (Bud was not going to kill them). He increased his points per 36, his assists/36, his rebounds/36, and increased his 3-point rate substantially.

Players that Bucks fans have lusted for as shooting guards:
Bradley Beal: 45/38/79 with worse defense
Jimmy Butler: 45/34/83 with degenerative knees and he also might be nuts

The anti-Middleton sentiment is just baffling. If you think Middleton is any more volatile than whatever wet dream shooting guard Bucks fans have been lusting over for two years, I would love to see a quantitative study showing it.

There is a reason Bucks fans and writers who understand how the cap works have all been saying the Bucks should bring back Middleton.

Edited by rcon14
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

The anti-Middleton sentiment is just baffling. If you think Middleton is any more volatile than whatever wet dream shooting guard Bucks fans have been lusting over for two years, I would love to see a quantitative study showing it.

There is a reason Bucks fans and writers who understand how the cap works have all been saying the Bucks should bring back Middleton.

No it’s not baffling.  If you were to go through this entire thread and the one before it, you would see fans alternate between loving him and hating him desperately wanting to NOT re-sign him.  Stats can be used to tell whatever narrative you want them to.  The guy straight up disappeared for months this season.  He’s not even remotely consistent.  Just bcuz you can make it work cap-wise doesn’t mean you should do it.  I don’t want Beal or Russell.  I just don’t want to pay Middleton $30m+. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1