Steelers Extend Stephon Tuitt 5/$61

MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

That has to put them in a tough place when it comes time to extend/sign/franchise Bell, right? Overthecap had them with an estimated $12M or so next year in cap space. This extension will take most of that, I assume.

Maybe they're planning on Big Ben's retirement? Or they're conceding that Bell's gonna walk.

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You'll know him by the end of the season.

Why? He isn't going to be a stat grabber is he? A handful of sacks and 30ish tackles isn't going to make you known to everyone even if you are performing your job as the team hopes you to do. A 3-4 DE just isn't usually a glamorous position, important, but not glamorous.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Why? He isn't going to be a stat grabber is he? A handful of sacks and 30ish tackles isn't going to make you known to everyone even if you are performing your job as the team hopes you to do. A 3-4 DE just isn't usually a glamorous position, important, but not glamorous.

Except I think he's got a pretty decent chance to get 10 sacks.

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Except I think he's got a pretty decent chance to get 10 sacks.

I like Tuitt, but that would be surprising, to say the least. He has 11.5 in his 3 year career. And 10 is really uncommon for a 3-4 DE. At least a proper 3-4 DE (I don't really count Watt or Bosa, because their responsibilities in terms of gap and where they rush the passer from have more in common with a 4-3 DE than Pittsburgh's 3-4 DEs.) No true 3-4 DE had 10+ sacks last year. Only WIlkerson did in 2015. No one did in 2014. Only Wilkerson again in 2013. It's just not common. Similar to DT, you have to be one of the best in the league having a phenomenal season to hit that mark. Richard Seymour was one of the best 3-4 DEs of all-time and never hit that mark. Tuitt is a good player, but in his role with his skill set that's just not likely at all.

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I like Tuitt, but that would be surprising, to say the least. He has 11.5 in his 3 year career. And 10 is really uncommon for a 3-4 DE. At least a proper 3-4 DE (I don't really count Watt or Bosa, because their responsibilities in terms of gap and where they rush the passer from have more in common with a 4-3 DE than Pittsburgh's 3-4 DEs.) No true 3-4 DE had 10+ sacks last year. Only WIlkerson did in 2015. No one did in 2014. Only Wilkerson again in 2013. It's just not common. Similar to DT, you have to be one of the best in the league having a phenomenal season to hit that mark. Richard Seymour was one of the best 3-4 DEs of all-time and never hit that mark. Tuitt is a good player, but in his role with his skill set that's just not likely at all.

In his role on our defense?  Youre right....they dont let him attack much.

With his SKILLSET, however, he should be in the 7 sack range every year and could push for 10 if they used him the way they probably should.   He has the athleticism and pass rushing ability to get after the QB regularly.

Too often, they use our current DLine like they used our past DLine (Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel).   However, our current DLine has a completely different skillset.  They are built to attack more than they are to eat up blocks for our LBs...especially Hargrave. 

Archived